1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Purple Spot on projected Image - Panasonic PTL -701e

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Nexus6, Mar 11, 2002.

1. Nexus6

Nexus6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently (Aug 2001) purchased a LCD projector for my Home Cinema Set-Up. It is the Panasonic PTL 701e Model, 1000 ansi lumens and a very quiet 28db Fan. Everything was fine running with Composite, RGB via computer connection and S-Video. I run the projector in lower power mode which cut's fan noise to a minimum which means I don't have to have the Sound too loud and wake the neighbours.

I have used the Projector to watch mainly films and the bulb counter shows that it has been active for 87 hours total since August 2001.

The problem is I now have a purple spot that has appeared on the very bottom of the projected image, this appears not to effect the image that is projected when it is in 16:9 mode. I rang the supplier where I purchased the projector and I was told that it probably was dust on the LCD panel, if it was not this it could well be a hotspot.

Does anyone know if this sort of thing is common, the bulbs are suppose to last 2,000 hours more if on low power setting. Do I have a case for repair and will my gurantee be valid. I use a white roller blind to project onto, it's the blackout type which is fairly thick and has been very good. Could this have caused any problems?

Any ideas please, appreciate it.

Thanks

2. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If it is purple on a white background, it's a stuck-off green pixel.

If it is black on the green background, then its a stuck green pixel.

If it is purple on only a black background (tough to see), then it is a stuck-off red and blue in the same exact pixel location which would be very rare!

If it is black on the magenta background, the above assumption is correct. The best way to test this is using pictures of solid colours. It may be a dust problem, you could try sucking dust out of the projector using a hoover, be careful though as you dont want to do any damage. You might not be able to get to the panels though, or maybe its something on the lens therefore try wiping it with a suitable cloth which wont scratch the lens.

James

3. mysphyt

mysphyt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do they look like this "blob"? If so it is likely dust in the lightpath, try cleaning the LCD panels with "air in a can" type cleaners. If you defocus the projector you should be able to see the dust clearly on the screen. Some suggestions on how to do this here.

[​IMG]

Do they look like the blue blotches (fog) at the bottom of this picture? If so, it is likely a heat damaged or delaminating LCD panel and should be sent in.

[​IMG]

4. Nexus6

Nexus6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks very much for the replies.
    I haven't had chance yet to action the suggested solutions. It is not like the blueing at the bottom of the Shrek still, it is a small purple blob/spot. I will try cleaning the panels with a small keyboard hoover and most apparent the lense. I have cleaned the filter thinking that it could have been a build up of heat that has created a burn although I hope not.

I will take a picture with a digital camera and submit that if there is no improvement. This will give a clearer picture as to the problem.

Again thanks for the tips.

5. hekke

hekke
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I had the same problem. Iopened my projector (BPP Dataview C180) and saw that the filter for the green color has suffered heat damage. Does anyone know where I can buy replacement filters? Is it a standard size? Has anyone heard of the brand before? I tried to search the website of the manufacturer but had no luck :thumbsdow.
    Can someone help me :lease:

Thanks

6. TimeWarden

TimeWarden
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys, is this what you're talking about, if not can someone tell me what's going on with my projector?

[​IMG]