Purple banding on X10

notamused

Standard Member
Hi all,

Can anyone tell me why I'd get purple banding at the top and bottom of the screen of my X10???

I am looking at it now watching Slumdog Millioinaire and the black bars at the top and bottom of the screen show these purple bands which dance about on the black edges?

I've not noticed this before at all, does anyone have some info on it or on how it can be sorted?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT......

If anyone has any ideas on it and needs to see them, I have taken pics of it and can mail the images, but have no idea how to post images here.

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me why I'd get purple banding at the top and bottom of the screen of my X10???

I am looking at it now watching Slumdog Millioinaire and the black bars at the top and bottom of the screen show these purple bands which dance about on the black edges?

I've not noticed this before at all, does anyone have some info on it or on how it can be sorted?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT......

If anyone has any ideas on it and needs to see them, I have taken pics of it and can mail the images, but have no idea how to post images here.
Turn on/off (I can never remember which way round it is) the "overscan" feature. You can find this under:

MENU -> SETUP -> OTHER SETTINGS

And the feature is "Picture Overscan".. Now I am looking at mine, its ON to make the picture bigger so that you don't get the lines./. And 'OFF' to make it smaller with the lines.

OFF is the better mode as you get to see more of the picture at a finer resolution.. But the side effect is these 'lines' on some channels.. I am more than happy with mine ON!

Jon

F

Fatwaz

not sure what you mean but if you mean some purple or green flecks dancing about in the black bars top and bottom of a film say then reduce brightness till these disapear.this is normally your optimum black level.i think its called dithering and all panasonic plasmas do it and its normally only noticeable up close anyway.

Jim Di Griz

Distinguished Member
not sure what you mean but if you mean some purple or green flecks dancing about in the black bars top and bottom of a film say then reduce brightness till these disapear.this is normally your optimum black level.i think its called dithering and all panasonic plasmas do it and its normally only noticeable up close anyway.
Spot on :thumbsup:. Just below halfway, about 28 clicks or very close to it. Ive always set my brightness there and Im not going to change it.

I can actually pick out the 'flecks' or 'motes' from my viewing range (just) if I look very closely.

EDIT - After seeing the thread title I thought the infamous purple snakes were back! Luckily, it seems they are not.

Overscan on/off isnt a question for me. Overscan off every time. A quick comparison between the two should decide it for most people I think...

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

The Best Movies and TV Shows Coming to Netflix in November 2020: Tom's Thumbs.
Top Bottom