Purple and Pink strip on edge of JVC X35 Projector

Cocksure

Hi,
I have just fitted a new bulb into my pj which is now resulting in a strong purple ish and pink strip being shown on the left edge of the screen. The pixels under the strip still change colour to show what should be displayed, but it is as though a piece of tinted glass has been put over that part of the picture.

The strip takes up about 5% of the width of the image and is most noticeable on white backgrounds and almost can't be seen on dark picture backgrounds.

I don't think it is the new bulb as I had noticed a same size strip in the same place before with the old bulb, I didn't notice any colour tint and just put it down to the bulb failing. I think the new bulb is now simply highlighting what before was to dim to see before. Put it this way, I found the image painfully bright at 1st!:eek:

I would be surprised if it was dust related as every 6 months or so I strip the pj down to clean it, also I was smoking around it which voids any warranty anyhow. Dust/nicotine build up has always just dimmed the picture in the past, nothing more.

The pj is 3 years and 2 months ish old so even without my self stripping down is out of warranty. Hours used is around 3500. Strip is presented on different sources.

Can anyone help? :)

jfinnie

Distinguished Member
This kind of thing is usually an optical block alignment issue with some component moving slightly. It was very common in the HD350 series of units which had a well known fix.

A cludge people do is to mask the image area affected using the JVC menus and then zoom the image that is left to fill the screen again. But you will lose some screen area.

Cocksure

Thanks, @jfinnie, I had a feeling it was :(

From the hunting i did on the web before i posted, that diagnoses kept on popping up.

The cure was either opening the whole thing up and pushing the panel back in place (some seem to say that the PJ needs to be on when doing this :eek:), the other was to run the PJ hot by blowing warm air in cooler vents etc.

Are these the "cures" you were thinking off?

jfinnie

Distinguished Member
Thanks, @jfinnie, I had a feeling it was :(

From the hunting i did on the web before i posted, that diagnoses kept on popping up.

The cure was either opening the whole thing up and pushing the panel back in place (some seem to say that the PJ needs to be on when doing this :eek:), the other was to run the PJ hot by blowing warm air in cooler vents etc.

Are these the "cures" you were thinking off?
The fix I've seen mentioned for hd350 which is done at the UK repairers involves a couple of layers of adhesive foil used to put pressure on one of the elements that was able to move in the light box with all the mirrors and filters in it. I don't know much more detail than that - it was covered over at AVSforum. It won't be a panel out of alignment as if it were your whole image would be horribly ghosted.

How far down are you stripping it to clean? If you're in that box perhaps you've loosened something. I've not heard of this issue on X35 before but the cause for this kind of thing will pretty much always be the same -movement of an optical element away from where it should be. The light from the lamp gets split into the component colours for projection and then gets re-combined at the prism. A magenta stripe on white sounds like a lack of green at that side, so I'd probably start looking where the green light comes from.

If you do have the projector on when open wear eye protection and watch your fingers, deadly voltages inside. I don't know about this particular PJ, but if it is possible to run it this way then using a non-metallic spudger you should quickly be able to see which elements affect what you are seeing.

Cocksure

Last edited:

GaryB

Distinguished Member
This is caused by a mirror alignment problem, pretty much as described. Sontec used to offer a repair service on the older models, and they may well do so on the X35, so it's worth asking them if you want to restore it to full health. A repair on the older models was around £200 +VAT & carriage IIRC.

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
This just happened to my HD550 in the US - any pointers on where I can get it repaired?
Sorry I did it myself and am not sure how cost-effective it would be to do. Not sure about where you get it repaired as this site is based in the UK so would have gone to an authorised JVC repair centre.

The problem is the replacement part is the whole of the optical unit which includes the lens and the D-ILA panels so is probably as much as a new projector. They don't sell the individual components so even if you could get somebody to look at it then if they broke anything they would be stuck :(

How bad is it? Can you zoom the picture out a bit if and lose the pink in the border of your screen?

That's why I went down the DIY route.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom