• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Purnell resigns from government

damo_in_sale

Prominent Member
D

Deleted member 30535

Brown's position is now untenable IMHO. His credibility and authority have more holes than a colander.

pandemic

Prominent Member
Tells me Purnell's got some brain cells, no doubt in my mind the labour without Brown will stand a significantly better chance at the next election.

Perceval

Banned

jendo

Established Member
It seems clear now that that standing down would be in the best interests of his party and the country IMHO. Problem is that kind of power can't be easy to relinquish so I guess we get to see now who's interests he serves, the countries and new labour or his own.

HMHB

Distinguished Member
Strange, I'd never heard of this Purnell bloke until he did this yesterday. Another MP trying to get more publicity for himself I wonder? Or is it another MP trying to move the public eye away from their greedy thieving expenses scandal :D

tapzilla2k

Distinguished Member
Strange, I'd never heard of this Purnell bloke until he did this yesterday. Another MP trying to get more publicity for himself I wonder? Or is it another MP trying to move the public eye away from their greedy thieving expenses scandal :D

More likely to be the Blairettes getting revenge on Brown. If you follow politics properly then you'll have heard of Purnell. Though it takes great effort to follow politics properly as most of the politicians send me to sleep.

I really can't see how Brown can survive, especially if that email going around Labour MP's manages to gain the support of 70+ MP's, which will trigger a leadership challenge under the labour party's rules. We might be entering the final days of Brown in his number 10 bunker. Bet he wishes he'd called that election when he had the chance.

HMHB

Distinguished Member
I do feel that Brown was set up by Blair. Blair would have seen all this financial mess coming (as would Brown) and got out just before it all started.
I don't like or trust either of them.

mij

Prominent Member
I think a lot of Labour MPs think they have a better chance of keeping their seat without Brown than with him.

I also wonder if any of the blairites will jump ship to their true party to inflict more damage, or even after the damage has been done.

D

Deleted member 92943

Gordon is so selfish and desperate to be Prime Minister after all these years that you know there's no way he'll ever step down. Only a general Election will boot him out. The whole party is falling apart and he's just making it worse.

I just hope he gets 'slaughtered' in these local and european elections.

bosque

Distinguished Member
I know it must sound earth-shattering, but Ministers have resigned from Governments in the past, Heseltine and Lawson spring to mind. Heseltine running from the cabinet and claiming on live TV that Thatcher consistently told lies to the House of Commons has a stronger vibe than Purnell resigning because he disagrees with Brown.

Sonic67

Banned
True and Thatcher ended up getting booted out by her own party. Gordon - clock is ticking.

Codehead

Distinguished Member
Labour would be forced into calling a General Election a lot sooner if they changed leader now, so Gordo will cling on for as long as possible.

It's interesting that Johnson has taken a cabinet position and therefore indirectly ruled himself out of a leadership challenge.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 92943

There has to be an election next year anyway doesn't there?

The longer they delay it, the worse it will get for them but saying that are the country really going to vote for a Tory government? As much as i would like that :D

Codehead

Distinguished Member
I think some are jumping before they are pushed. The reshuffle was on the cards anyway.

I wouldn't like to see a Tory government, but what alternative is there? The LibDems may squeeze Labour into third place, but I doubt they could win.

inzaman

I hope Brown stays as he is the opositions biggest asset :rotfl::rotfl:

D

Deleted member 92943

Well, i'm sure a couple more MP's will quit once all the local election results are in and see how slaughtered Labour are too.

I'm not totally sold on the conservatives but i certainly have more faith in this younger and more energetic party than Labour who seem to be made from a bunch of has-beens :D

virtual22

Prominent Member
It looks like they're just just concerned about themselves again to me. They're looking at their marginal seats and thinking if we don't do anything this gravy trains gonna end in a year for me, we need to stir it up now, get rid of Brown, ride the wave that always follows and pray we can cling on at the next election. A bit like a football club threatened with relegation changing the manager, worked for Blackburn but not for Newcastle.

It does make me wonder though the effect that all of this is having on the actual running of the country. New people are going to have to come in, pick up the baton, get to grips with the work load, then you have the summer recess, then they'll be gearing up for the election next summer. Makes you wonder if anything at all is going to happen in the next year really.

Wild Weasel

Distinguished Member
If Brown is forced out, he'll be the first Prime Minister since Neville Chamberlain to have never fought a general election in that capacity. :lesson:

Mind you, Chamberlain had cancer and died 6 months later.

kopchoir

Banned
The only bad thing to come out of this is the tories will come to power:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow

HMHB

Distinguished Member
Becket has gone as well. Maybe they're using this as an excuse to resign due to expenses claims.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom