1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Purity, how big a problem?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by bazzae123, Oct 15, 2003.

1. bazzae123

bazzae123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm now on my third TV that has quite bad purity problems and would like to know how big a problem this sort of thing is and what causes it. I don't think I'm being to fussy because I've not noticed it before on any TV I've had until now. As a general rule how good should a TV be in this respect given that most TV's have some form of problem.

For example using AVIA colour test Magenta its hard to see if the whole screen should be a pinkish or greyish colour and as for the red its hard to count how many different shades there are.

Bazza

2. blindlemon

blindlemon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On a £1k+ set I wouldn't expect any obvious colouor purity problems.

I think that the manufacturers just try to cut costs by not providing proper purity adjustments on the basis that 99% of Joe Public won't notice the problem. A case in point is my 36PD30 (currently awaiting replacement for just this issue), which only has one "geomagnetic correction" setting in the Service Menu - and that doesn't do much more than move the coloured blotches around the screen!

My £600 21" PC monitor, on the other hand has:-
    * horizontal convergence
    * vertical convergence
    * 4 x colour purity adjustment (each corner)
    * moire cancel
    * moire cancel level

I know that it's easier to get perfection on a 21" 4:3 than a 36" 16:9 CRT - but in that case, then surely the £2k 36" TV should have more adjustments than the £600 21" monitor - not less :eek:

3. bazzae123

bazzae123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Funny you said a PD30. I didn't like to say just in case of starting another thread;)

I know the shop will just say have your money back but to me its not the issue anymore. Being a ex-Quality control manager in the electronics industry this subject is dear to my heart. This new set was delivered by a engineer working on behalf on the shop I purchased it from and he actually agreed that the new set was not right, and I got him to put it in writing so we'll see what happen next. I even phoned Panasonic and explained the issues with them but the person on the other end of the phone didn't even know what purity was and all they could offer was that I talked with the supplier and wasn't that interested from a customer point of view. I'm just a bubble in the ocean to them.

Bazza