1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Purity error/green stain

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by rjs1974, Mar 18, 2002.

1. rjs1974

rjs1974

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys.

Have any of you ever experienced the oh so common purity error on a Sony widescreen TV, or indeed other manufacturers?

Mine has a highly visible green stain in the top-right hand corner of the screen, clearly visible when the background is white/yellow, on normal TV and DVD play.

Did you have the set replaced? I have only had mine 2 months.

Does manual degaussing fix it? Or fitting purity magnets?

Or should I just insist they change it?

I am on my second set already - SONY KV36FS70. The geometry is also shocking!!!

Advise please!

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,975
    Ahhh - the joys of large Cathode Ray Tubes.... especially those made by Sony.

3. John Jennings

John Jennings

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    OK, I'll try and be helpful rather than smug :rolleyes: (I know how upsetting it is when there's something wrong with your telly)

This seems to happen on most widescreen sets I've seen. I've had it on both of my Philips TVs and I know it's very common on Toshiba tellys.

More often than not, it's nothing to do with magnetic disturbances, it's just to do with the fact that Widescreen CRTs have difficulty maintaining colour purity on very bright images if that image persists on screen for a reasonable time (it would happen a lot if you were watching skiiing for instance because of all of the bright snow).

Try turning your TV off for about 15-20 minutes. Turn it off at the wall power socket, not just to Standby. Then turn it back on again and the problem should have cleared. This is a bit rubbish but it seems to be 'normal' for a lot of widescreen TVs.

If it hasn't cleared when you turn it back on then the problem is possibly permanent and yes you should get it replaced, or at least degaussed thoroughly by an engineer.

The temporary problems can be caused by having your contrast set too high. Anything above about 60-65% is probably pushing it

Regarding geometry, if it's truly bad (out by more than a few mm) then you shouldn't accept it, and should get it adjusted under warranty (or attempt to do it yourself if very confident)

Hope it turns out well,
    John