Purists views towards Denon 1920 against dedicated dvd and cd players??

craynerd

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Just got an AV amp, Denon 2106 and now need my cd and dvd player! Since i only got Tannoy mx3 speakers which although i think are fab they apparently "are not doing the amp justice" according to folks in the know! Then i went on to ask for advice with CD playback and dvd playback...then i got told that the denon 2106 is "an AV amp therefore will never reproduce the quality of playback as a dedicated stereo amp" LOL so as they say your system is only as weak as its weakest link!!!!

Well now if i put all that in place, i ask the question "quality dvd player and use it with cds or dedicated dvd and cd players seperate" Well of course the purists amongst you will say "dedicated seperates" but its you purists who have already ripped my system to shreds on paper!! so my point is...if i have so many weak links (yet someone how managed to spend £400 on an amp!!!!) is there really any point in me buying a seperate dvd and cd player with so much going against it!

lol...a long winded way of trying to say, will the denon2106 with the mx3s (or Evo3s soon to be upgraded to) not reply the audio on a denon1920 dvd as well as it would if i baught a dedicated amp since the "AV" amp and speakers are already letting it down?

Chris

your forgetting the golden rule.....if you listen to it and you like it...THEN ITS GOOD no matter what us numptys on here say :)

however, as a numpty i shall give an opinion...heh.....

given the level of amp you went with, just go to Richer Sounds and grab a 575 DVD player for £100.....no point going any higher really.....

that way you can save some money, and in the future get a separate CD and stereo amp for normal CD/vinyl usage......

basically, as an AV amp, your choice is good.....however to be honest there isnt much difference between DVD players up to £3-400........if you had an AV amp around £800-1200 then it would be worth going up to DVD players around £800-1200 as well....

and now im going to continue watching recorded simpsons episodes off my sky box and drinking wine........listen to me at your peril......heheh.....

So you recon that i will never get decent playback of cds on a denon 2106 av amp ? I spend bloody £400 on that damn thing so i could...should have gone for the 1906 :-(

You recommended the 575 DVD. Firstly will that give good enough audio for my amp ? and secondly, since it will be a while until i can afford a dedicated stereo amp, will the 575 dvd play audio cds as good as the denon 1920 would, for the time being. To be honest, knowing now i have made a mistake, i would rather spend a little more to get a bit better quality in audio since i know it will be a good few months off before i can look at getting anything new, so my denon 2106 will have to playback my cds for th near future...is the 575 still the way to go? and use it for cds as well, or would u even get a seperate cd player and play it via the denon 2106 for the time being...or would the denon 1920 do the job for both?

eww just noticed the pioneer 575 doesnt have HDMI, which i would like! more suggestions?

The Denon 1920 will do what you need it to do for now. As stated in other threads you seem to be over reliant on what others say and think. I have said it before, stop worrying about what others think right now. Those Mx3's you mention were mated to a 3805 and 3910 and were sufficiently well integrated for a person with a considerably 'better' system than mine to go away and rethink his own system.

The 1920 is a natural companion for your amp, and you can opt for a separate cd player if the 1920 does not out perform your present one. The most important thing about our hobby is perspective. Salesmen can sense paranoia and play on it. The end results could be a system that meets every ones approval except the bank manager. Be patient.

Get the Denon and stop worrying. :)

I have two setups, AV downstairs and HiFi upstairs. I swap and change components about just for fun.

Upstairs I run a Rotel amp (Not sure of the model number but around £300), a pair of Mission 780 speakers and a £200 Cambridge Audio CD player.

Downstairs I run Denon 3803 AV amp, Mission 734i floostanders, an early Toshiba DVD player and an old £1000 Pioneer 925 Laser Disc player.

The Rotel sounds worse than the 3803 on the 734i floorstanders but better than the 3803 on the small 780's. The DVD player is crap using it's own DAC's but make a decent job as a transport. The CD player sounds very similar outputing digital or analogue.
But by far the best CD performance is done by the analogue output of the Pioneer laser disc player.

Just goes to show there are no hard and fast rules.

I'm currently trying to decide between the Denon 1920 or the Sony DVP-NS92V to replace the old Toshiba DVD player.

Cheers
Lee

thanks for your replies! I see what you are saying....since im buying a new place i have limited money so i`m just trying to get the best components!

I really honestly have taken to account what you all have said, BUT can i ask one more question.

1 Say i got a denon2106 DVD and played it through a cheapo stereo amp say the CA 640 and then through my AV denon 2106 amp using sterieo (we are talkin audio here i havent lost the plot!!) which would perform best?

2 Say i then played a dedicated cd player like one of the £200 CA range and played that through the CA 640 or the denon 2106 which would preform better?

Surely the £450rrp AV denon would outpreform even in stereo on both occasions, no?

Probably not, but with AV gear you have to strike a balance. No 'balance' necessary with dedicated stereo gear.

WHAT?

no...so ur saying a £200 CA stereo amp would outplay a £450 av amp at audio????

Sure a setero amp is dedicated, but i would expect a £400 av amp to pull of the same quality since it is over double the price!

IF thats the case, should i not have gone for a denon1906 £230 and a CA £220 = £450 !!!!!!

Gutted :oops: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Cable Monkey said:
Salesmen can sense paranoia and play on it.

They also like to try sell you as many shiny boxes as they possibly can. :rolleyes:

If you go into a shop with a £300 budget to buy some new equipment they will say 'The £300 one is OK, but to see any improvement you should spend £450'

And if you go in with a £450 budget they'll say 'The £450 one is OK, but to see any improvement you should spend £600'

do you think i`ve dropped a hum dinger then? would i have been better with 2 lower models and got both av and stereo ?

Suppose at the end of the day i have only spent like £130 over what i would have paid if id have got the lower 1905, still aint enough to have got a seperate stereo amp.

BUT you are all right again! LOL Its personal preference!
i`ve just been listening to it again (it isnt perminantly set up yet so a bit of a fag getting it all out) and it is personal taste! I mean i really am thrilled with the stereo quality!! I think the only thing i can complain about is on lower volume, it seams to loose all its balls, is that my speakers.....still very good even mid volume levels, but at a background volume it seems to dip a little! Obviously it isnt loud enough to give a punch, but definately can here a change of some sorts!?! (does that make sense?)

Just need to get my rears now and a dvd player and i`ll be able to use it as a 5.1 system lol, what its actaully designed for!

I think i`m going to go for the denon 1920, it seems a quality player, which should suit my Panasonic 32LXD52 and will be able to connect via hdmi, and i`ll try it with the audio, i have a strong suspition that it will be better than my V old (7- 10 years?) sony CD player.

Does the denon 2106 have a optical or digital output for the audio side of it, or would would be the best way of connecting it to my 2106 amp?

THANKS for the help, i`m really appreciating it!!
Chris

craynerd said:
WHAT?

Sure a setero amp is dedicated, but i would expect a £400 av amp to pull of the same quality since it is over double the price!

IF thats the case, should i not have gone for a denon1906 £230 and a CA £220 = £450 !!!!!!

I don't know about cambride audio (not a fan personally - don't like Richer Sounds stuff), but for £200 you could get an amazingly good second hand older HiFi amp.

Here's a link to an interesting thread a couple of weeks ago (was a sticky for a short period but soon released - maybe it should become a sticky again for people like you);

Previous

and here's a link to a review of the Arcam AVR300. The best music AV amp under £1500. The important quote here is that even that amp doesn't equal the best £350 HiFI amp. You do the maths, if you value CD replay you should definately be buying 2 boxes.

AVR300

I will Caveat that slightly - If you like the sound just sit back and enjoy and stop worrying about what could have been :cool:

EDIT: Sorry guys, not really relevant to this forum (DVD). :suicide:

craynerd said:
WHAT?

Assuming what you pay actually goes into the amp, do the maths. Stereo is cost divided by 2. A 7.1 amp is cost divided by 7. I know it is a very rough and ready calculation but it is actually not a bad indicator of how much you need to spend to get stereo performance that would match a half decent budget stereo amp (made by the right people). I have pursued the best I could acheive in multichannel sound, sticking within tight self imposed financial restrictions. However I have no illusions that if I'd spent the same money on a cd player, amp and a pair of speakers, I would have a system that was outstanding quality wise.

HeyTony,

Thanks for the post!!!

The tip in the link you gave me, and may be worth considering, is paying a decent amount on a dvd player with good audio playback, then having a AV and stereo amp. I didnt realise u could cross link them? and the speakers as well ?

So basically you could switch from ur stereo amp to *dvd player and *fronts then switch to your AV amp, *dvd player *fronts and with the rest of ur 5.1 system just connected to your av amp....have i read that right?

I just bought the avr2106 and the dvd1920 any i'm verry happy with it. Sound and Picture are both great in my opinion.
Just give it a try and see/hear for yourself

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom