• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Pure: Xbox 360 reviews

What do you rate Pure on Xbox 360?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Munkey Boy

Distinguished Member
51lb%2BUwcr3L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Is Pure any good then? Please vote in our poll once you've played enough of the game to judge it, and leave some comments in this thread.

greektony

I know I was the one who requested this thread, but I'm not going to choose a score just yet as I don't think I've played it for long enough. Suffice to say that it is currently in the 8-10 range from my limited play test.

Great graphics - absolutly gorgeous IMO. Especially when you have lauched yourself 100ft into the air!

Good AI - you can see them shunting and barging each other at the start line and throughout the race (speaking of which, its a shame you can't punch people in this :) ), they don't land every jump (I've won a few races because the leader hasn't landed the final jump and crashed :) ). There doesn't seem to be too much elastic band syndrome either, and there isn't a noticeable set line that they all follow like you notice in some racing games

Sound - the soundtrack in this game is pretty good as it is the kind of music i listen to anyway and fits the vibe of the game nicely. Ambient sounds all seem decent enough.

Gameplay - this is where the game shines. There is nothing else out on the 360 (apart from maybe baja?) which allows you the insane amout of air you can pull in this game. The way the boost and combo types you can string together are combined is a nice touch giving you the choice of being able to boost for a little bit but not pulling any big tricks or saving your boost on the initial laps so you can get the big tricks, big air and bit boost to eventually get the star boost. The tracks I have played so far have been great. Starting off with ones which you think are pretty extreme and immediately upping the jump size almost from the first race after the tutorial depending on what track you choose. The ATVs handle as one would expect and the different terrain surfaces really are noticeably different.

The upgrading system seems a little bit over the top and there are far more upgrades and options than one would expect from an ATV game which is good but can get in the way of you wanting to race. Although I assume it becomes more important customising your ride to suit the next track as you get further into the game.

The game isn't too difficult and there is a certain amount of leeway landing tricks and you aren't penalised to heavily if you crash. A second or to out of the race and (I think) a little loss of boost. The tricks themselves look cool and are easy enough to pull off, its a shame though that you aren't drip fed them as you progress through the game as it looks like you have all the tricks available from the start. Each progressive level of trick is assigned to 3 buttons on the face of the controller. To do a trick you simply push the trick button you currently have access to and a direction on the analogue stick, so not too difficult and you can string multiple trick combos together in mid flight for more boost.

Another great touch is that most races (especially the longer ones) have multiple paths you can take. And each multiple path then has further multiple paths branching off it so there is a lot of replay on the tracks finding the fastest lines or the best lines for getting boost etc. It also means that every race/lap feels completely different so it doesn't feel like you are racing exactly the same track if you decide to replay them a few times to get a decent position.

So far I am most impressed with this game as I hadn't really heard anything about it. I'm hoping multiplayer will be good as I haven't ventured online with it just yet as the single player is really good. But the multiplayer has the potential for being awesome.

Last edited:

noisecrime

I'm not sure where I stand with this game, everything about it is great and good fun for a while. There is plenty of depth to it from the large number of stunts to multiple routes/shortcuts. Graphics look great and the tracks provide some spectacular views.

My problem is this game has had me swearing like no other. I can't remember the last game that did this to me, not even SW:TFU. Partly its my own fault, trying one trick too many, but there have been plenty of races ruined by clipping some part of the environment or odd behavior from the bike.

There is a built in 'guidance' elements when you are in the air, that will push you towards a certain route and can frequently catch you unaware, yet there is none to help keep you on track. Overall I guess I just don't think its quite forgiving enough and at times inconsistent.

Its weird though as I have no problems with sprints or freestyle, its the races that let me down and normally due to a crash not entirely of my own cause on the last lap.

Whilst playing much of the game reminded me of the earlier Burnout series, from the interface and style to the design and progression through the world tour. Thats not a bad thing and is probably a good indicator as to whether you'd like this game or not.

Have to give special mention to the music selection. Normally its something i always turn off in games, but here every track just seams to fit the racing so well.

Overall a great arcade feeling racer, but one which might not have as much longevity as others and may well cause a few broken controllers if you have too many 'unfair' crashes or losses.

greektony

Good point noisecrime, I forgot to mention the fishing reel effect which sometimes happens when you are in midair and approaching a junction but I don't find it too annoying yet as it means you don't faceplant a cliff face :) I haven't yet got stuck on the environment, but I have only put in a few hours so far. It could just be I'm so good that I never veer off the perfect line :) But this game soooo needs the ability to punch other riders off their bikes...... imagine the multiplayer mayhem lol

noisecrime

Good point noisecrime, I forgot to mention the fishing reel effect which sometimes happens when you are in midair and approaching a junction but I don't find it too annoying yet as it means you don't faceplant a cliff face :) I haven't yet got stuck on the environment, but I have only put in a few hours so far. It could just be I'm so good that I never veer off the perfect line :)

Actually at first I did find it would send me into cliff or rather rocks that defined the different routes. Not always causing a crash but frequently messing up my line. The reason was I wanted to go down one route but the 'fishing reel effect' had decided I was going to go a different one. So I was fighting this weird physics effect and in the end we both lost ;)

Of course as you progress and learn the tracks you'll tend to align yourself up right prior to the jump and then the effect can be useful. Just wish they had moved back the 'crash point line' as there have been some cases with big jumps that I had plenty of time to 'get back on track' but the game determined i'd gone too far away from the track and crashed me instantly.

But this game soooo needs the ability to punch other riders off their bikes...... imagine the multiplayer mayhem lol

Now thats a feature i could have really enjoyed and taken out the some of the frustrations I got with this game. I mean one track this AI rider overtook me on the last corner of a 3 lap race, after I mis-timed a jump. Not to worry I thought as i'd been saving up some boost just for this type of situation. So I line myself up at the finish line and hit boost, only for the AI rider to move directly into my path, which meant I ended up pushing them over the line! ;)

lostboybinns

Loved the demo...somehow reminded me of the good times had on Burnout Takedown....will so have to save the pennies and buy this one

markymark34

this game isnt great. Played it for a few hours over the last week and have unlocked about 5 or 6 of the levels. Really cant be bothered going any further its just the same thing over and over.

Ewan154

I really enjoyed playing pure. Great gameplay and graphic. Would give it 10/10:thumbsup:

Ico.

this game isnt great. Played it for a few hours over the last week and have unlocked about 5 or 6 of the levels. Really cant be bothered going any further its just the same thing over and over.

Isn't that the same with any racer with only one type of "car" though?

It'll just be one race after another... I'll pick this up eventually I'm sure but there are too many other games around in the next month or two and money is a bit tight...

I'll leave now as I've only played the demo, but like any other game of this type it seems like great fun... maybe in small sessions.

noisecrime

Isn't that the same with any racer with only one type of "car" though?

Very true, but strangely once i'd completed the game I've had no desire to return to it.

Its odd, because the game is pretty good, cool tricks, awe-inspiring tracks (big jumps), good music selection etc, but unlike say Forza2 or Burnout Revenege/Paradise it just doesn't seem to have the draw to get you back in.

Can't really explain why, maybe something to do with the randomness of actual driving both in terms of how easy it can be to win every race first time or how the quad bike drives, which can lead to inexplicable moments causing you to lose an event. Whilst skill is definitely needed, it can often be negated by track features or the many other riders you are against, making it feel far more about luck than anything else.

Troma67

Great looking game, very little depth finshed it in two days. More of a rental than a purchase in my opinion. Mx vs Atv untamed is a better game of the same genre.

Shanks Kop

Standard Member
Good fun arcade racer with an edge, the stunts and tricks add to the whole experience. Hopefully this is an other game that with further games in the series hopefully will improve like Burnout.

gingin

I voted excellent as when i first played it i was amazed. It was a serious arcade racer excellent graphics and really over the top.

plus really good fun.

games like this really show off the xbox graphics and well done to the programmer, i really loved flat out too... and this feels the same to me.

bj

NewBeetle

Distinguished Member
Loved this for the first couple of hours, grew bored very quickly. Shame as I was so looking forward to it. Average :thumbsdow

dansiop

Standard Member
Very happy with this game, especially after picking it up for only £9.99 on play.com.

Wish there was more people available to play against online. I have yet to have a race when all 16 slots have been filled by real people.

Kinetic Frenzy

I picked this up for 20 quid in store at HMV, unfortunately i'd missed out on the Play 9.99 deal. However i don't begrudge the extra tenner as this game is great. Holding back yet from voting - i think it's going to be an 8 from me but i want to play a bt more to see whether it can make it up to a nine.

What i will say is that you need to stick with default controls. I usually use the A button for accelerate and whilst there is an option for this control method it simply won't work as the earliest trick button is still mapped to A and cannot be changed. As a result the game thinks you are trying to bust a new trick when in fact you are trying to line your quad up and get back on the accelerator as early as possible.

Lastly as dansiop says it's a shame there aren't more people online, i managed to have my first race online yesterday and it was brill, shame there was only 5 of us.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom