Pure Trivia - USA vs UK

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
This has come up before as something of a side note in both UK and USA forums, but there is a noticeable disparity in the prices between the USA and the UK.

USA - Yamaha CD-S700 CD Player - US$799 - (UK£649) -

Yamaha CD-S700

UK - Yamaha CD-S700 CD Player - UK£397 - (US$480) -

Yamaha CD-S700 CD Player

So, what costs US$480 in the UK costs US$799 in the USA.

What cost £397 in the UK cost £649 in the USA.

Bare in mind you have something like an 18% VAT added to the listed price. In the USA, about an 8% Sales Taxes is added to the price at the time of purchase and is not reflected in the List Price. That makes the disparity between the two prices even greater.

You live in a Hi-Fi buyers paradise, I hope you appreciate it.

Current Exchange Rate - £1.00 = $1.2285

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited:

gibbsy

Makes a change. With photography it certainly is the other way around with Canon and Nikon treating Great Britain as Treasure Island.

Hixs

Distinguished Member
Not much different in France.

Yamaha AS1100 £1100 in France €1600
Yamaha AS801 £550 in France €899+
Yamaha RN802 £600 in France €899+

gibbsy

Not much different in France.

Yamaha AS1100 £1100 in France €1600
Yamaha AS801 £550 in France €899+
Yamaha RN802 £600 in France €899+

Quick, come on over. Sale ends 31st of October.:)

Hixs

Distinguished Member
They might ship me back!

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
Have a look at the price of Emotiva in the US compared to U.K.

PT100 preamp $329 vs £449 vs €489

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
European and UK exchange rates are pretty close to even -

£1,000 = €1,108

£1.00 = €1.108

Using exchange rate alone, the Yamaha AS1100 at €1600 is £1,444. Where as the actual selling price in the UK is £1,100.

Lucky UK. Though I don't have enough evidence to say with certainty, I would suspect that the UK is one of the best places in the world to buy Audio Equipment.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited:

Timmy C

Distinguished Member
I've been visiting the US once or twice a year for the last 10-15 years and I can't give exact figures off the top of my head but up until this Brexit nonsense we were getting minimum $1.50 to the pound and at one point we reached over $2 to the pound I think. With the exchange rate as it is today, everything seems expensive in the US to us.

Apollo83

... I would suspect that the UK is one of the best places in the world to buy Audio Equipment.
Speaking as someone based in Ireland, I can confirm the UK is one of the best places in the world to buy Audio Equipment from!

Excellent choice and value new, vibrant second hand market, ridiculously undervalued pound...

I already have recently bought a brexit tonearm and brexit cartridge... :)

US still a little better for photography gear though.

D

Deleted member

What happens when the U.K. becomes the 51st state? Will the prices go up? Buy now and make a killing later...

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member

dannnielll

Not wanting to rain on parades, but the reduction in Sterling value has been a recent phenomenon , and theDollar has appreciated against Sterling. Distributors tend to make yearly price lists etc, and these may well reflect the exchange rates of many months ago. Distributors tend to hold prices steady ,and perhaps discount if they find themselves overpriced.

dannnielll

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
I'm not sure that prices are relative to the UK£ vs the US$, I think price are more relevant if you compare UK to China. Currently £1 to CNY8.59. One year ago it peaked at about 9.2. But dropped quickly and has more or less held in the 8.5 to 8.8 range.

Keep in mind China does not let its currency float on the open market. They set what the Yuan is worth, and right now, they are not happy with the USA, so USA/Yuan is not very favorable right now.

The UK/Yuan seems more stable.

Steve/bluewizard

@Lerkst The US$ is (at least for now) the world's reserve currency, which these days boosts its strength relative to nearly any other currency. Before WW2 and then Bretton Woods, the UK pound was the defacto reserve currency. Comparing against gold (ya, that barbarous relic) may be a better measure, even if physical gold price is somewhat manipulated as well. Paper gold is worth exactly the paper it is printed on. Cryptos are fine until the power goes out;)

Good to see another Joe Walsh fan in the house.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom