Question Pure Oasis Flow

teeseetwo

Novice Member
Reaction score
I have a very strange problem with my Pure Oasis Flow radio. When receiving digital radio, the clock time shown on the display is always accurate. If I turn off the radio, the correct time is displayed for about 30 minutes then the clock time loses about 7 or 8 minutes and remains 7 or 8 minutes slow until I re-start the radio and tune to a digital station, whereupon it corrects itself. The radio does not correct itself with any internet station, only digital. If I do a manual time setting the same thing happens, although the period before it loses the 7 or 8 minutes is usually shorter. I have tried resetting (removing the battery connection and starting on the mains adapter only), and also done a factory reset (as per the instruction manual), but without improvement. Anyone any idea how to fix this ?

Oh hell yeah, that's me too, and it's doing my head in. We've got two Pure internet radios and they're both behaving the same way. I've found that if you disable the network connectivity then the radio maintains perfect time, and that's what I've had to do for my bedside radio, but clearly you lose all internet functionality.

Presumably if an internet connection is present then the radio contacts a predetermined source to get the current time. Unfortunately it seems that rather than using a public NTP server, they're probably contacting a bespoke Pure service that is eight minutes slow. This should be so easy to fix.

I was hoping that I'd get away without packet sniffing to see where they're getting their time from but I guess that's my next step. Bah.

A few days ago the Oasis Flow went into its total blackout mode - ie. totally dead. I haven't worked out what the correct sequence is to trigger this but it's something to do with running from battery and then plugging in the AC adaptor into the radio. As this has happened a few times in the past, I knew how to fix it... the usual trick of disconnecting the battery plug (inside) and starting it up just on the AC adaptor, then plugging the battery plug back in while it's running. This time the clock partially corrected itself, now just 3 minutes slow. I can live with that but it is pretty weird. If it is a Pure time server, it's "about time" someone went in and reset the time to the correct one. Why on earth would they not use a normal public NTP server ? Oh well...

I'm reading now in some other places that Pure are claiming that the time is delivered from a third party server that they're 'having trouble' resolving issues with. Why not just change the firmware to point to a reliable server then? It must be all of two lines of code...gah!

OK, so I'll post this in the vain hope that it might be useful to somebody, somewhere. It does come with caveats.

I did some packet sniffing, and it looks like the radio tries to pull a time via NTP from 34.251.46.48 (well, in my radio it goes for radio.thelounge.com which resolves to 34.251.46.48).

The kludge isn't completely straightforward. You need to log into your router and see what firewalling options you have. If you're able to blacklist or filter certain network services, then kill access to UDP traffic on port 123 on 34.251.46.48 which for me stops the radio grabbing a bogus time but still allows access to internet radio.

The radio instead keeps hold of the time that it grabbed from the DAB signal and so far that seems to be working for me. I'm in the UK - your mileage may vary.

Caveat: if you've got an internet only radio then you'll be screwed on any kind of automatic time, and that may be a deal breaker for you. That said, a manual setting has to be closer than something that's eight minutes out. I'll be pleased if that fix sticks. It was doing my nut in.

Thanks for that, I'll give it a whirl ! I'm in the UK too, by the way. I'm still living with the 3 minute error which isn't too bad, but a bit rubbish for a 21st century radio !

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom