Answered Pure Evoke Flow Radio: Dim Display

mooota1514

Hi I have a Pure Evoke Flow radio which still works great except that the display is now so dim that it is virtually impossible to read does anyone have any ideas what can be causing this

Soulman61

I am afraid that all OLED displays fade and expire in time. Like light bulbs.
I had the same problem. Contacted Pure who would not help or provide spares, and directed me to a repair company in Scotland, who said they refused to deal with Pure products, anymore, for unspecified business reasons. I am now completely fed up with Pure and their attitude to after-sales care. Wouldn't even provide a service sheet or spares list. I went out and bought a Roberts Stream 93I, and I am very satisfied with it.
Anyway I found out from another forum that the display is easy to replace but the part is hard to find. I was lucky ( or unlucky) that I had a dead Pure Avanti flow to hand, which has the same display which was working fine due to being newer. Very easy to replace.
However now my Evoke flow is fading again so I looked for the part quoted in the other forum. Found it was no longer available.After considerable time spent searching and emailing Chinese companies I found a compatible display made by Winstar: WEX012864D (yellow). However this in very short supply also. Finally I found an Italian company with some stock:
First Components www.first-components.com Cost is 25 Eur plus shipping, around 14eur. I have ordered and am waiting for it to arrive right now.
As I found, it is very easy to fit, but if you don't feel technically competent I am sure that any repair shop will fit it for a small cost. Certainly better than throwing away, what is a very expensive radio.

Last edited:

normske

Novice Member
I am afraid that all OLED displays fade and expire in time. Like light bulbs.
Finally I found an Italian company with some stock:
First Components www.first-components.com Cost is 25 Eur plus shipping, around 14eur. I have ordered and am waiting for it to arrive right now.
As I found, it is very easy to fit, but if you don't feel technically competent I am sure that any repair shop will fit it for a small cost. Certainly better than throwing away, what is a very expensive radio.
Just followed up on your message and bought a replacement - very quick delivery - easy to fit and works! Many thanks for your post.

alig301

Novice Member
Is the part quoted above compatable with an Pure Avainti Flow? If unknown, how did you find the part number of the part required for your evoke flow please.
thanks in advance.
Ali

normske

Novice Member
Is the part quoted above compatable with an Pure Avainti Flow? If unknown, how did you find the part number of the part required for your evoke flow please.
thanks in advance.
Ali
I took a bit of a gamble and compared the dismantled part with the online specifications of the part Soulman61 recommended. I could not find any visible part numbers on the broken display so just ordered thinking the gamble would be the cost of P&P.

I just had a look on a video of the Avanti Flow and the screen looks very similar (which makes sense considering their date of manufacture). I would suggest comparing the screen dimensions and number of ribbon connections with the product information sheet. If you do order (P&P is a little steep, but arrives very quickly, and you have to do an international bank transfer) they may have a return policy. You can probably run a test without removing much of the packaging i.e screen protector.

Even though we have other internet connected devices I was really pleased to have the Flow back up and running and can once again get AM/FM and DAB radio quick an easy. Nice warm sound too.

Jean Richard 53

Novice Member
I have just received a replacement part from Bolymin Taiwan
The description of the display is:
Part No: 1221-170918010
LCD Module
BLI12864KERNH$
OLED, 128x64 K TYPE, yellow
Wide temperature RoHS
Controller SSDI305
Price 55 $
Expedition DHL 2.75 $
The address of
BOLYMIN Inc
4F, NO 38, KEYA RD, DAYA DISTRICT
TAICHUNG CITY, 42881 TAIWAN, R.O.C.
42881 TAICHUNG CITY
Taiwan
Mail to: [email protected]

The display comes with a ribbon that is much longer than the original and in reverse position.
The display must be placed so that the ribbon is on the bottom part and should be folded back and threaded through the black plastic that holds the display with four screws. In this way the ribbon will be in the same disposition as the original display. Be sure tu push the ribbon well in its socket.

The Winstar solution is less expensive. The product is available too on the italian site...

Good luck
Jean Richard

Last edited:

MarkE19

@AJSDyno
All trading Must be posted in the classifieds section of the forum. We do not allow trading in the rest of the forum. Please read the trading rules and then post a thread there if required.
I have deleted your above post.

Mark.

A F

Novice Member
Does anyone know how to go about changing the OLED display in an Avanti Flow?

I have been successful in obtaining the part from the nice Italian on eBay but I can't see any obvious way of accessing the OLED panel - everything seems sealed (and Pure Support is useless...(!))

Soulman61

Does anyone know how to go about changing the OLED display in an Avanti Flow?

I have been successful in obtaining the part from the nice Italian on eBay but I can't see any obvious way of accessing the OLED panel - everything seems sealed (and Pure Support is useless...(!))
As I no longer have my dead Avanti flow, I can only say you have to remove the back. 4-6 screws if memory serves me right. Perhaps Normske can help you, having recently done this.

Flenser

My Pure Evoke Flow display is in the way out also.

Just to clarify, is this the correct part: WEX012864DLPP3N00000

Flenser

Nice one. What's your commission rate?

cmo123

Novice Member
Hi,
Can I confirm that for part number WEX012864DLPP3N00000 you do not need to order the display connector also? Thanks.

Flenser

Excellent. Thanks.

D

Deleted member 817059

My Pure Evoke Flow display has also gone so dim it can no longer be seen. I followed the advice above and purchased part number WEX012864DLPP3N00000 from First Components, which with tax and shipping was Euro 55.51. The part arrived well packaged in four days. The fitting of the new part was very simple - remove the six screws in the back of the radio, no need to remove any of the cables if you are careful except the old display cable. Remove plastic housing around display, replace old display with new display, carefully make sure the new display cable is well into its socket. Quick test to see it was all working, then replace the screws. A quick 10 minute job for a novice like me. The new display now looks very bright and hopefully good for another 9 years.

Soulman61

My Pure Evoke Flow display has also gone so dim it can no longer be seen. I followed the advice above and purchased part number WEX012864DLPP3N00000 from First Components, which with tax and shipping was Euro 55.51. The part arrived well packaged in four days. The fitting of the new part was very simple - remove the six screws in the back of the radio, no need to remove any of the cables if you are careful except the old display cable. Remove plastic housing around display, replace old display with new display, carefully make sure the new display cable is well into its socket. Quick test to see it was all working, then replace the screws. A quick 10 minute job for a novice like me. The new display now looks very bright and hopefully good for another 9 years.
Glad to hear it. The last one really lasted 9 years? To extend the life it's a good idea to set the display to 'off' when the radio is not on.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 817059

Yes, the last one did last for 9 years, but it has been almost unreadable for most of this year, so I guess that makes it 8 years when I could easily see what it displayed. This year it has been so dim, I had to take it out of any light into a dark room to see what channels etc it showed. I do leave it on mains power most of the time, so it spent most of the 8 working years displaying the clock! It is now set to turn the display off after 7 seconds when the radio is on and when turned off. Hopefully it will now last even longer. I also found the specification sheet for the display, which I have attached in case anyone is interested.

Attachments

Spookyville

The display on Pure Evoke Flow gave up the ghost on Boxing Day, looking at that link further up the thread looks like the yellow display is no longer produced and is only available in white. Code WEX012864DWPP3N00000 . Still seems to let you add it to the cart however!?
Is the display connector add on required?

Flenser

I bought a yellow display from eBay a couple of weeks ago and following the instructions available online replaced my invisible display with no issues. Works a treat now.

Thank you all who posted advice and links

Spookyville

I bought a yellow display from eBay a couple of weeks ago and following the instructions available online replaced my invisible display with no issues. Works a treat now.

Thank you all who posted advice and links
Flenser do you have the name of the seller on ebay? Trying to source one myself and don't want to order the incorrect item! TIA

Flenser