Pure Evoke DAB EPG updates

R

redstar2

I have a new Evoke 3 DAB radio with a 2GB SD card to save any EPG updates to but this weeks updates have not arrived. Is it me or them?:lease:

Same here: evoke-3 new 2GB card last week. No update since Sunday (except XFM and Capital Gold). No EPG for Mon 10/09 onwards.

Confusingly, on all BBC channels, EPG for Mon 03/09 to Sun 09/09 is there, even after reformatting SD card to clear off Guide. For everything else, message "Programme guide information not available for this station".

Rowridge (IoW) transmitter.

I'm seeing a similar problem. My Evoke 3 has been happily getting the BBC EPG for about a year but seems to be having problems for the last week.

It seems to be taking longer to spot the fact that there is an EPG on the BBC frequency and when it does find one it gets 03/09 to 09/09. It seems to be BBC specific - it promptly spots Classic FM's EPG.

I too tried clearing the local cache on the SD card and RAM and it does look like the BBC's EPG is "stuck" on last weeks' data.

Same problem with me. Had Evoke 3 for almost a year. Problem started a couple of weeks ago. The EPG for the next week, was in fact the EPG for the last week. Because I record mostly programs at a regular time slot, I did not notice until one of the series had stopped being broadcast but was in the EPG - which turned out to be last week's EPG.

The EPG for today was fine - until yesterday. Now no EPG for the BBC at all.

I emailed Pure a couple of days ago, but no response as yet.

Good news folks! It's now been updated.:thumbsup:
Not much good if I need to pre-record one week for the next though; let's hope it was a one-off.
Can you tell me whether it's usually updated daily on a 7 day rolling basis or is it updated once a week on a specific day?

My EPG came back into line yesterday.

Got this reply from Pure today:

Sent: 13 September 2007 15:05
Subject: Re: EPG has last week's guides and today's only

Hi,

I can confirm that at the moment we are attempting to find a resolution for this, I can confirm that the fault with the EPG will be intermittent, however present.
Please register with us online at www.pure.com/register in order to be notified as soon as a resolution is found.

So look out for more short term problems before a fix is found.

Interestingly there is an update on the Pure site dated 18/9 which "fixes" EPG issues.

It also installs Ecoplus. Has anyone done this? The notes say it reduces functionality when in standby.

What functionality can it lose? The clock? The alarms? the timers?

Anyone have any idea?

K

It also installs Ecoplus. Has anyone done this? The notes say it reduces functionality when in standby.

What functionality can it lose? The clock? The alarms? the timers?

I've just put the patch on.

The "Energy Saving" thing can either be switched on or off. I've left it off (ie like it used to be), since my main reason for applying the patch was to fix the inertmittent EPG problem (which it seems to).

There is a new user manual there now on the Pure website for version 1.8. That explains the energy saving "improvement", but given that the plug/transformer is going to be sitting there getting warm no matter what the radio drains from it I'm not sure it actually really does anything! If you switch energy saving on, then it switches off the display while in standby and your ability to turn the radio on with the remote.

Yes, I've put v1.8 on last night. It took three attempts. Vista issues I think. Anyway it does what it says. I think the standby back light brightness can be reduced to a lower level now, or is it my perception?
Previously I measured the power consumption. On was 9w standby was 7w, not much in it. I'm sure it will be much lower with Eco mode enabled. The actual tuner must have been on before to receive the EPG updates. However, I think there should be a further option. With Eco mode enabled I would like to have the back light functioning. I cant see the time at night: a drawback for what is, lets be honest, a nice bedside alarm radio.
I request for v1.9 software then, can the backlight have an option of being at standby brightness please. It may draw an extra watt but would be better than having the tuner on too.
Comments?

Cheers
Bernie

Bernie / Chesterman

Thanks for the responses. Glad to see it is an optional item.

I too like the Evoke 3 as a bedside radio. Great for waking up to, and recording programmes that I'd miss normally and listening to them before bed ........ or being totally decadent on a Sunday morning with a cup of tea while I "come too"

Cheers

K

My Evoke 3 hasnt received any BBC EPG updates for a couple of days now, although the commercial multiplex ones are coming through. I've still got the BBC EPG until this Friday coming on the SD card, but there is no EPG indicator on the display when tuned to the BBC multiplex and no new data has overwritten Saturday or Sunday's. For comercial stations I've got a full 7 days.

Anyone else got the same problem?

It wouldn't be the first time the BBC has messed up EPG transmission in at least one part of the country, although they've been quite good for the last 6 months.

Same problem as Chesterman no BBC updates on EPG for last two or three days for my Evoke 3. Commercial stations updating OK still except for Oneword which has known continuation difficulties.

:lease:

Interesting this. I dropped a complaint off to the BBC a few days back. Normally that results in an email back within 24 hours denying there is anything wrong at their end and then an almost immediate resumption of BBC EPG updates. This time I've had no reply and the EPG is still mising here in Chester.

I doubt if there's just two of us with this issue. I suspect that quite a few more people may notice the missing EPG as their SD cards run out of stored EPG over the weekend.

I phoned Pure's helpdesk too. They didn't see a fault, but that was on an Evoke 3 they had had turned on for a while and that had EPG stored on its SD card. The one they just turned on wasn't getting anything from the BBC either.

A lot of the BBC website schedule information was all messed up over Christmas and New Year. I wonder if someone fixed that by changing the data structure and indavertently messed up the DAB file while doing so?

The whole things seems VERY flaky. Pure have had to issue at least 3 updates to firmware to cope with changes in the BBC data structure in the last 18 months. I suspect we may be in for a 4th!

Interesting this. I dropped a complaint off to the BBC a few days back. Normally that results in an email back within 24 hours denying there is anything wrong at their end and then an almost immediate resumption of BBC EPG updates. This time I've had no reply and the EPG is still mising here in Chester.

Ah, the EPG flag that has been missing for the last 6 days on the BBC multiplex has mysteriously returned and I now have a further week's worth of EPG on my SD card.

No doubt I will shortly get an email from the BBC to say there was never anything wrong...

Bingo! The EPG re-appeared as if by magic this afternoon here is Sheffield. Pure told me there had been few reported problems although after they sent a message earlier today asking if the EPG had re-appeared it was suddenly there again. All I had from the Beeb was their message saying they cannot respond individually and effectively referring me to Pure.

:clap:

Hi All

Just noticed some of the posts here – particularly from PURE Evoke-3 customers :cool: and just wanted to add this to the mix.

We released a firmware update (version 1.8) for Evoke-3 at the end of September last year which addressed a number of minor issues relating to the BBC DAB play-out system which affected Evoke-3 EPG performance in some regions. If you find you are having difficulty obtaining the BBC EPG guide on your Evoke-3 radio then please start by making sure your radio is properly equipped and updated with this firmware version. You can download it from the Evoke-3 support page found here: http://www.pure.com/Support/kb.asp?Product=VL-60767

You will find detailed installation instructions on the same page (http://www.pure.com/Support/kb.asp?Product=VL-60767&Data=DriverNotes0)

Regards

Jason Voice

Thanks Jason for the firmware note but as you know from our direct exchange my Evoke 3 already had 1.8 loaded. Still baffling why for both myself and Chesterman it suddenly reappeared after a few days and why was only the BBC affected. The BBC said it was a manufacturer issue in a response to me as they had no reported faults.

Here is the BBC's reply to me. I don't dispute their assertion that the EPG is working fine this week. I just wonder what problems the BBC may have had that they didn't know about for 6 days.

My Evoke 3 had version 1.8 installed when it was released in the early Autumn. This was the very first problem since then.

BTW, my own experience of dealing with Pure's Technical Support has always been good, whether by email or phone. Unlike the BBC, where if you use their "contact" button they simply send you a standard email claiming to be "too busy" to talk to listeners and not answering the query. Even when you complain, the BBC response takes a week and the email still comes with the caveat that you should not reply to it and no other contact details are given.

Thank you for contacting the BBC.
I understand you are experiencing problems with your Dab EPG.
I can confirm that there are no known problems with the BBC DAB EPG.
If you are still using the Pure Evoke 3 as pre previous e-mails, please ensure that the firmware version is v1.8 (found by selecting MENU, SOFTWARE UPGRADE). Regular updates must be carried out to ensure you have the latest version. The Pure website suggests that the earlier versions could fail to get the BBC EPG.

There have been a number of EPG issues with this set and I think updating to the latest software would be a good idea.

Thank you once again for contacting the BBC.

Regards

Gary Sullivan
BBC Information

Hi,
I have had the same problem as others re BBC EPG missing approx. 3rd - 11th Jan. I have a new Evoke 3 running firmware Version 2. I emailed Pure and like sheffieldsteele I got a reply asking me if the BBC EPG had returned and when I checked, it had! While the EPG was missing I took the Evoke 3 to my brothers house about 25 miles away (HP22 to AL5) At this new location the BBC EPG was present (Signal strength/quality the same as at home ie 100%/max bars) Back home, later that day, the EPG was still missing. This, I guess, suggests a problem with the data being transmitted from specific BBC transmitters rather than there being a problem with the Evoke 3 / software.
Anyone else experienced this?

Hi,
I have had the same problem as others re BBC EPG missing approx. 3rd - 11th Jan. I have a new Evoke 3 running firmware Version 2. I emailed Pure and like sheffieldsteele I got a reply asking me if the BBC EPG had returned and when I checked, it had! While the EPG was missing I took the Evoke 3 to my brothers house about 25 miles away (HP22 to AL5) At this new location the BBC EPG was present (Signal strength/quality the same as at home ie 100%/max bars) Back home, later that day, the EPG was still missing. This, I guess, suggests a problem with the data being transmitted from specific BBC transmitters rather than there being a problem with the Evoke 3 / software.
Anyone else experienced this?

My suspicion is the same as yours - what transmitter would you be on. Also interested to see you have version 2.1 software because my Evoke 3 is also new and uses 1.8 the latest version on the Pure website

My Evoke 3 came with Version 2 software already installed. I don't know which transmitter I am tuned to, I live near Aylesbury. My brother lives at Harpenden Herts. Interestingly, the BBC EPG is missing this morning (19/01/08) the first time it has not appeared since 11th Jan. Signal quality is 100% signal strength, max bars.

My suspicion is the same as yours - what transmitter would you be on. Also interested to see you have version 2.1 software because my Evoke 3 is also new and uses 1.8 the latest version on the Pure website

This Version 2 software on a newly bought Evoke 3 is intriguing me too. On another thread there is a story about a Pure One being bought with a higher version of software than available on their website. The guy mistakenly "upgraded" his software using the website download and went backwards in functionality.

Seems a strange thing to me to NOT have the latest version available for all customers.

My BBC transmitter will be either Holme Moss or Llangollen or both. I suspect Sheffieldsteele is also within the footprint of Holme Moss.

BBC EPG from Holme Moss has again gone missing for the last two days, at least on my Evoke 3, while the Digital One EPG works fine.

This has all the hallmarks of the last time that intemittent EPG problems occured, which were then "cured" for 6 months by version 1.8.

Since all the BBC National Channels and the EPG come in the same signal, if I were a betting man, I would bet that the BBC had tweaked their encoding in some way and not told anyone.

Chesterman I have been away in Edinburgh for the last two days and on seeing your latest posting I checked again to see if the EPG was downloading. Lo and behold no BBC EPG again on their channels and the Friday programme guide is still for the 19th so I assume it has been missing over the weekend. Ironically the BBC did reply today after I had said the service had resumed saying they were "pleased to read that your signal has improved since your last correspondence with us" !

(Has re-appeared later this afternoon)

BBC EPG from Holme Moss has again gone missing for the last two days, at least on my Evoke 3, while the Digital One EPG works fine.

This has all the hallmarks of the last time that intemittent EPG problems occured, which were then "cured" for 6 months by version 1.8.

Since all the BBC National Channels and the EPG come in the same signal, if I were a betting man, I would bet that the BBC had tweaked their encoding in some way and not told anyone.

Response from Pure which also answers query re version 2.0 -

I can only go on reports from majority numbers of users and the fact remains that we're seeing no significant issue with BBC EPG other than the normal ‘noise level' which is not unusual.

The radio will base its EPG decode on reception quality and EPG will always take second place to audio decode. It is perfectly possible in poor reception areas to have a successful audio decode, and the radio not even attempt EPG decode - and coincidentally the reports if this always spiking when the weather and atmospherics are poor.

I can't suggest anymore than baring with it. Sorry.

As regards 2.0, that software is essentially the same as 1.8 (identical in its handling of audio and EPG decode), but contains power saving changes (EcoPlus features), coinciding with its new power supply and some internal power saving hardware changes. This version cannot be installed on 1.8 radios and likewise it would be pointless installing 1.8 on 2.0 radios.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Jason Voice

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom