Pure Evoke 3 BBC EPG problem

Discussion in 'Music Streamers' started by willie45, May 8, 2007.

1. willie45

willie45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I have the latest software downloaded for this radio and it works fine apart from every now and then it won't display the EPG for the BBC. It just says no program information available for this station. It shows Virgin, life etc etc no problem and usually if I leave it long enough it will eventually download the BBC guide. I can't understand why this should be because I have the guide saved to the SD card and so surely it should be there instantly. Also the other programmes guide shows immediately I look for it.

I asked Pure and they said to send it back but I can't help feeling this is a bit drastic. However if there are no suggestions here I will send the radio back. All advice gratefully received.

Willie

2. scotty38

scotty38

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Mine is exactly the same if it's any comfort :)

Although for the past two weeks my weekdays alarm has failed to go off on Thursday morning. A couple of weeks ago I set up a timed event for Thursday evening - coincidence? I've setup the weekdays alarm again and will wait until next Thursday to test again..

3. willie45

willie45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm. I wonder if this is a fault with our radios or whether it is a "feature" of the model in general. Have you mentioned it to Pure?

Willie

4. scotty38

scotty38

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    No I haven't spoken to them. To be honest it doesn't really cause me any grief and knowing that they released the last firmware update to fix the problem I just assumed they hadn't sorted it properly.

5. Groot

Groot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there. Re. the BBC EPG problem, mine also does this despite being set to use the SD card and having a strong (indicated) signal. Was OK up to about a month ago. Does this suggest a problem with the local transmission rather than the radio? Haven't been in touch with Pure yet.
    Groot

6. Groot

Groot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PS: I'm in Lincoln.
    Groot

7. scotty38

scotty38

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Lo and behold my alarm didn't go off this morning. Any ideas anyone?

8. ProfessorYaffle

ProfessorYaffle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Presumably, the timed event has disappeared from the timed event menu? (they stick around if interrupted early etc.). Also, power off from mains and see if that clears it for next week

9. scotty38

scotty38

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Timed event is still there (it's an "every Thursday" event) and works fine, it's just the alarm in the morning that fails. I've done another complete reset of the unit and set up the alarms and events again.

I'll see what happens next Thursday :)

10. willie45

willie45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I don't know what to make of the alarms problems. I would still be interested to know if the issue with EPG (original thread) was something I should send my radio back to pure about or whether I should just bear with it. It is really the primary purpose for buying the radio so I would be very disappointed if it was impossible to resolve. All comments welcome

Willie

11. willie45

willie45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm mine is still doing it. any other views?

Willie

12. Groot

Groot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mine too Willie. I was wondering: if the EPG is broadcast only now and again and this didn't coincide with my radio being switched on, it would never get stored. Will try leaving it on 24 hours with volume turned down to check.
    Regards, Groot

13. ProfessorYaffle

ProfessorYaffle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Surely it's got a Standby mode? It should pick up EPG data fine in Standby mode as per The Bug (its ugly older brother). Therefore, turning the volume down is unnecessary - or am I missing something... My Bug's never really off, just in Standby mode or on...

14. Groot

Groot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, having left the radio on overnight it had captured the EPG which was usable in the morning even without the EPG flag showing on the display (and therefore successfully stored on the SD card?). So far my theory holds up. However: I then switched it off in the morning and when I turned it back on that evening it was saying EPG not available again (and no EPG display flag).

Regarding its standby mode: don't forget that Evoke 3 is primarily a portable battery radio although my use is exclusively on external supply. Certainly in battery mode it shuts down completely when off. On external supply? The time display comes on but I'm not sure if the tuner is active.

Groot!