Pure Evoke-1

sydc

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm a newby here so please treat gently. :)
My problem is a faulty volume control on an Evoke-1 DAB radio, I have managed to get into the unit but I am unable to get to the volume control. I have removed all the self tapping screws around the front LCD board but still cannot remove the board from the front unit.
Can anyone please help!!
I have 45 years in the electronics industry so know how to use a soldering iron.

Regards,
Sydc.

Hi, it's a while since I opened one of these up, so I'm trying to visualise things, but I think there's one, or even two, self-tappers under the Frontier Silicon module (the one with all the surface mount stuff). This has a couple of small nylon clips with a blob of glue on them, plus the million-way connector, to hold it in place. As the volume control/station selector are PCB mount types, their mounting nuts under the control knobs need to be removed to release the board from the front panel- unfortunately, they're quite deeply recessed
I like to hear this sort of thing- I've a mere 25 years in electronics maintenance and it's shocking (metaphorically!) how much stuff is needlessly discarded for want of a bit of effort and a few bob's worth of bits. Good luck.:smashin:

Last edited:
Hi Thirst4Know,

With your help managed to remove board from unit, volume control is faulty, ordered spares which hopefully will cure problem.
Kind regards,
Sydc. :thumbsup:

I have the same problem with my Evoke-1.
Can you explain in detail the process of removing the circuit boards.
I tried but only got so far.

Can you also tell me the part number of the volume control and where I can order a spare from.

Thanks

Seahaven

Hi Seaheaven,
You need to remove the digital radio board which is mounted on the main board with four plastic spacing clips to reveal another two screws which should be removed. You then need to remove the two front control knobs, they are very tight, I used thin strips of 'duck tape' wound around the knob then use a pair of pliers to grip the duck tape and remove the knobs, use enough duck tape so the teeth on the pliers do not damage the knob. Remove the two nuts down the recess, the board can then be removed from the plastic cabinet. You can then cut the pins of the volume control with a pair of side cutters and de-solder the two luggs holding in the volume control, once the volume control is away from the board the pins left in the PC board may be carefully removed with a pair of thin nosed pliers and a soldering iron, be careful not to lift the copper print with too much pressure. The volume control was purchased from e-bay on the following link; http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/DABRadioSpares__W0QQ_armrsZ1
Hope this helps. Sydc.

Hi,

I have just found this thread when looking for solution to a volume control problem with Pure Evoke 2 when volume becomes very loud and uncontrollable. Does the volume control replacement described in this thread solve this problem?

Thanks

Hi isdavethere,
What you discribe is simular to the problem I had with the Pure Evoke 1, replacing the volume control cured the problem completely.

Hi sydc,

Many thanks for your quick reply - I will get the part and give this repair a go.

Do you happen to have any idea why the fault developed in these radios? Was there a problem with the original part or is this "normal wear and tear" for this volume control?

Cheers

Hi,
Don't really know what caused the problem but looking in the forums this problem seems to be quite common with this range of DAB's, Evoke 1,2,3. Check the volume control is the same for the Evoke Pure 2 before ordering, also, cut the connecting tags away from the volume control and then desolder the mounting lugs, if you try and remove as a whole unit you will surely damage the PC board.
Hope this helps.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom