Pure DMX25 Micro with DAB

M

Milton

Hello

I notice that Argos are now offering this product - which I'd never heard of before and I'm not sure if it's brand new (I couldn't locate it during a quick browse of the Pure Digital website). I was wondering if anyone has one of these systems and, if so, if they would recommend it?
I'm looking for a reasonably cheap (£100-£200) Micro system for a smallish bedroom, and thought it might be a good time to try out DAB without a massive outlay (FM and a good CD sound are my priorities!)

Any advice greatly appreciated..

Cheers

If FM and a good CD sound are your priorities then you'd get far more bangs for your buck if you don't get DAB than if you do get DAB.

If you look at prices of micro systems with certain features and from respectable brands, and then look for micro systems with the same features but jadd DAB, the price goes up significantly. So in other words, if you've got a certain amount of money to spend you should get significantly better quality if you don't get DAB.

Also, if you've already got a Freeview box in your room, if you choose a micro system with an aux input you could listen to digital radio stations on Freeview - the quality of the BBC stations is higher on Freeview than on DAB, and the commercial radio stations are the same quality on DAB and Freeview. I think there's 26 radio stations on Freeview now, so FM + Freeview should be enough for most people.

Milton said:
Hello

I notice that Argos are now offering this product - which I'd never heard of before and I'm not sure if it's brand new (I couldn't locate it during a quick browse of the Pure Digital website). I was wondering if anyone has one of these systems and, if so, if they would recommend it?
I'm looking for a reasonably cheap (£100-£200) Micro system for a smallish bedroom, and thought it might be a good time to try out DAB without a massive outlay (FM and a good CD sound are my priorities!)

Cheers
If you're looking for a decent micro system and could afford spending a little bit more then have a look at a Denon DM35, a pretty good little system in its own right for CD and FM radio but also has a DAB tuner should you be so inclined to use it.

"Should you be so inclined to use it"? Eh?

Denon do a DM33 without speakers for £200:

http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo-1.cfm/Product_ID/2339

or a Denon DM35 without speakers for £260:

http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo-1.cfm/Product_ID/2335

Or in other words, if he's so inclined to use it it'll cost him an extra £60. And as he wanted a micro system between £100 and £200, recommending one that costs £260 without speakers is a little bit out of his price-range, don't you think?

As he's most interested in FM and good audio quality for CD for £200 or less, using £60 of it on DAB would make a big difference to audio quality.

Firstly the OP said he wouldn't mind trying out DAB anyway, secondly I said IF he could afford to spend a bit more then he should look at the Denon, I'm well aware that its outside his original price range but there's nothing wrong in putting a suggestion out there, and thirdly just because the DAB version is £60 more doesn't mean its a wasted option, its just there if he wants to use it or not.

I was making a simple suggestion which the OP could take or leave but yet again you have to try and turn another post into a pro or anti DAB debate. Aren't you getting tired of this. :rolleyes:

neilmcl said:
Firstly the OP said he wouldn't mind trying out DAB anyway,

This is what he said:

"thought it might be a good time to try out DAB without a massive outlay (FM and a good CD sound are my priorities!)"

secondly I said IF he could afford to spend a bit more then he should look at the Denon, I'm well aware that its outside his original price range but there's nothing wrong in putting a suggestion out there,

I'd agree with you if it was just outside his price range, but his price range was £100 - £200, and your recommended system including speakers costs around £330, which is miles out of his price range.

I was making a simple suggestion which the OP could take or leave but yet again you have to try and turn another post into a pro or anti DAB debate. Aren't you getting tired of this. :rolleyes:

No, it's not a pro/anti debate, although it would be perfectly legitimate to talk about quality issues, because the OP said "FM and a good CD sound are my priorities!", so he is obviously interested in sound quality.

Or are you suggesting that people aren't allowed to even mention quality when someone's stressed that quality is his priority?

digitalradiotec said:
This is what he said:

"thought it might be a good time to try out DAB without a massive outlay (FM and a good CD sound are my priorities!)"

I'd agree with you if it was just outside his price range, but his price range was £100 - £200, and your recommended system including speakers costs around £330, which is miles out of his price range.

No, it's not a pro/anti debate, although it would be perfectly legitimate to talk about quality issues, because the OP said "FM and a good CD sound are my priorities!", so he is obviously interested in sound quality.

Or are you suggesting that people aren't allowed to even mention quality when someone's stressed that quality is his priority?
If quality is the issue then spending a bit extra to get a decent micro system isn't that much of an outrageous suggestion is it and just because the DM35 has a DAB tuner as well as FM and CD etc doesn't make it a bad buy, nor does it mean that its the worse for it. My intention was to suggest if you're going to buy a micro then spending some more on the Denon, if he could afford to would be a good idea, regardless of whether it had DAB or not. The fact that it also has DAB was a bonus.

All I was trying to do is give the OP a way of getting both of things he wanted - FM & CD priority as well as the additional option of DAB. The fact that the DM35 has DAB doesn't make it worse then the DM33 you quoted.

And for the record you can pick up the DM35 for under £300 incl. speakers if you look around. It may well be well outside his price range but there's no need to be criticised for offering him an alternative.

neilmcl said:
If quality is the issue then spending a bit extra to get a decent micro system isn't that much of an outrageous suggestion is it

His price range was £100 - £200, so £330 odd is way out of that price range.

and just because the DM35 has a DAB tuner as well as FM and CD etc doesn't make it a bad buy, nor does it mean that its the worse for it. My intention was to suggest if you're going to buy a micro then spending some more on the Denon, if he could afford to would be a good idea, regardless of whether it had DAB or not. The fact that it also has DAB was a bonus.

But you recommended him to buy a micro system that was over twice as expensive as the £150 mid-price of his price range!

If you really wanted to recommend a Denon micro system, the obvious one to recommend would be one without DAB, because at least it wouldn't be far out of his price range. For example, the Denon DM33 was about £175 at Empire Direct when I had a look before, and he could then get some speakers for, say, £50 from Richer Sounds, and then he should have a good sounding micro system for just over what he wanted to spend. That's good advice. Advising him to buy a Denon DM35 isn't good advice, IMO, because it's way out of his price range.

All I was trying to do is give the OP a way of getting both of things he wanted - FM & CD priority as well as the additional option of DAB. The fact that the DM35 has DAB doesn't make it worse then the DM33 you quoted.

It does, because the price is too high.

And for the record you can pick up the DM35 for under £300 incl. speakers if you look around. It may well be well outside his price range but there's no need to be criticised for offering him an alternative.

Just so long as it has DAB, eh?

digitalradiotec said:
Just so long as it has DAB, eh?
You seem to think that everyone who posts within this forum that doesn't come out and say "DAB is rubbish, stay clear, blah, blah blah" has some sort of agenda. Its been clear for a long time the only one with an agenda is you.

I'll say this one last time for the benefit of the OP, personally I don't give a toss whether YOU agree with it or not, your opinion of my suggestion is not important, its for the OP to decide so if you want to continue to troll this thread then fine but you'll get no further reaction from me.

Milton, I'm aware that the price is above your initial range but if a decent micro system is what your after then its definitely worth at least considering spending some more and you could do worse than to have a look at the Denon DM35 that has had good reviews and as well as having the desired FM and CD qualities you're after also comes with a DAB tuner as you initially indicated you'd like to give DAB a try. If you no longer want DAB then yes there are plenty of alternatives including the Denon DM33.

If this is too expnsive then I'm sure there are plenty of cheaper alternatives out there, however, please remember you get what you pay for and if sound quality is important you may feel its worth increasing your spending limit, regardless of whether the unit contains DAB or not.

I hope this is of help.

neilmcl said:
You seem to think that everyone who posts within this forum that doesn't come out and say "DAB is rubbish, stay clear, blah, blah blah" has some sort of agenda. Its been clear for a long time the only one with an agenda is you.

Yeah, I do have an agenda: to give people sound advice. The advice I gave the OP was good advice.

And I think you've got an agenda, and it was perfectly demonstrated in your response to the OP: advise DAB every time.

I'll say this one last time for the benefit of the OP, personally I don't give a toss whether YOU agree with it or not, your opinion of my suggestion is not important, its for the OP to decide so if you want to continue to troll this thread then fine but you'll get no further reaction from me.

Please enlighten me how I'm trolling this thread????

I gave perfectly good, in fact, excellent advice for what he was asking for.

The only troll on this thread is the person advising someone with a budget of £100 - £200 to buy a £300+ micro system BECAUSE it has got DAB digital radio inside it!!

digitalradiotec, Neil's suggestion was to meet the OP's requirements by spending a little more to meet the quality requirement. It was a fair suggestion.

Your suggestion was to drop DAB, or add Freeview which does not meet the OP's requirement as he said he wanted to try DAB. (Even if you think Freeview is a good idea)

I've considered Freeview, but I don't want "another" box switched on just to record radio. In fact the electricity may end up costing more than just getting a DAB capable box in the first place.

<<< I'm bracing myself >>> LOL

rommi said:
digitalradiotec, Neil's suggestion was to meet the OP's requirements by spending a little more to meet the quality requirement.

The middle of the OP's price range was £150, yet the Denon DM35 with speakers costs double that.

It was a fair suggestion.

I disagree.

Your suggestion was to drop DAB,

Yes, because he wrote this:

"(FM and a good CD sound are my priorities!)"

Therefore, DAB is a lower priority, and as I've already said, having DAB results in a big jump in price, and as his priority is good quality then he'd be better off saving the money he would have to spend to get DAB and buy a better-sounding system for the money he's got.

We're talking sub-£200 micro systems here, so if you want good quality you don't want to waste a largish percentage of that money on something that's not a priority.

or add Freeview which does not meet the OP's requirement as he said he wanted to try DAB. (Even if you think Freeview is a good idea)

I did not say add Freeview, I said this:

"if you've already got a Freeview box in your room"

I realise it's scandalous to advise someone to use something that they've already got that would cost them no money to use which can already receive 27 digital radio stations and provides higher audio quality than on DAB on all of the BBC stations. It won't happen again.

I've considered Freeview, but I don't want "another" box switched on just to record radio. In fact the electricity may end up costing more than just getting a DAB capable box in the first place.

The power consumption of DAB radios is high, if you're not aware, and Freeview receivers only usually consume a few Watts anyway, and the last time I looked (admittedly quite a few years ago) electricity was 6p/kWh, which means that it costs 6p to have something that consumes 1000W on for 1 hour.

Say you had a Freeview box on 24/7 for a year, and say it consumes 10W, it would cost:

(10/1000) x 24 x 365 x 6 = £5.26 per year in electricity

Then there's the power consumption of DAB to take off that bank-breaking figure of £5.26 per year.

Anyway, you can receive TV on Freeview boxes, but you can't receive TV on DAB. And the audio quality of all the BBC stations are higher on Freeview than on DAB.

Conclusion: get Freeview and with the money you save by not buying DAB go to the pub and drown your sorrows for not experiencing the superb digital quality sound on DAB.

Milton said:
Hello

Cheers
I think everyone has got carried away with the DAB\FM thing again. DMX-50 isn’t priced that way just because it has DAB Milton, it also has an SD card slot in it that can record the radio for you too. This will almost certainly make up for some of the price.

I saw one of these things at the Bristol Hi-Fi show and it seemed pretty good and sounded just as good as any micro can do – given the fact that it’s a micro. It seemed to be built well and the SD feature rose it head and shoulders over the sea of other micros – although I’ve also read that it suffered reliability issues in the CD dept – so you may want to investigate that further.

Overall it seems a very versatile system tho.

:thumbsup:

Possum Pants said:
I saw one of these things at the Bristol Hi-Fi show and it seemed pretty good and sounded just as good as any micro can do – given the fact that it’s a micro.

Just like neilmcl, you seem to be recommending a unit merely because it has DAB, and you also seem to be suggesting that all micro systems sound similarly bad, which isn't the case at all.

He said his priorities were FM and good sound quality on CD, so if he's got about £200 then I think the best think he could get would be the Denon DM33 and buy some speakers for it from Richer Sounds. In sound quality terms, he's getting an excellent micro system, instead of the probably mediocre-sounding one that you're recommending.

Lol Steve &#8211; you just can't let it go can you.

Ok - lets take a look at the original post&#8230;.

Milton said:
Nice and polite for this place for a change.

Milton said:
Ok. Milton is asking for an opinion on the DMX-50 system because he\ she notices Argos are offering it and he\she has never heard of it before and he\ she's not sure if it's brand new as he\ she couldn't locate it on the PD website.

It continues&#8230;.

Milton said:
I'm looking for a reasonably cheap (&#163;100-&#163;200) Micro system for a smallish bedroom, and thought it might be a good time to try out DAB without a massive outlay (FM and a good CD sound are my priorities!)
He\ she has &#163;100-&#163;200 to spend on a micro and already knows this device plays FM and CD and also knows this device plays DAB and looks interested in it because he\ she would quite like to try DAB out.

Milton said:
He\ she is asking for advice &#8211; presumably on the DMX as the title of this post is &#8220;Pure DMX25 Micro with DAB&#8221;

Milton said:
He\ she continues to be polite.

Now my response to him was based on the title of the post and to give him my &#8216;opinions' on the system he\ she has named the post after. Not a Denon or a Sony or a DVD player or a microwave oven &#8211; but the &#8220;Pure DMX25 Micro with DAB&#8221;. I added the point that the DMX has SD ability because the original post didn't seem to mention it so possibly didn't know it was a feaure.

Are you understanding this Steve?

Ok. He\ she wants good FM and CD &#8211; (don't we all want the best in our products) and the DMX &#8211; for a micro system would probably be pretty much the same as any other micro costing the same amount of money. (Well I'm being as presumption as you are when you say&#8230;
digitalradiotec said:
&#8230;. instead of the probably mediocre-sounding one that you're recommending.
- but then you're not new to presumption are you Steve ;)

So there we have it. Milton posted a thread about a DMX-50 and I've given him\ her my opinion of the DMX-50 because I've seen\ played with\ heard one.

Features should be considered important factors on systems like micro systems Steve, because few people are going to be bothered to try to analyse the difference in FM performance on a micro. FM is FM on systems like this. Yes the Denon FM does sound good. Maybe I'm being presumptuous but I think Milton will find very similar FM performance on the DMX - bearing in mind these are micros, but one thing is undisputable - the DMX's feature set (or available feature choice) is simply miles ahead of the Denon - period. Maybe Milton will find this more important - who knows.

:thumbsup:

Ho ho, what a funny thread. The best part of all is the product number, you're all (or seem to be) talking about DMX-50 ... is that really what the original poster wanted info on? See the title for a clue ....

Dunkwho said:
Ho ho, what a funny thread. The best part of all is the product number, you're all (or seem to be) talking about DMX-50 ... is that really what the original poster wanted info on? See the title for a clue ....
ROFL!!!!!

Well there you have it folks!!!

:rotfl:

Dunkwho said:

It's true, the product I was curious about is the DMX-25. I've been wondering about what Micro to go for a while and suddenly this new system appears in the Argos catalogue that I've not yet thought about. Part of the reason for my post was that the DMX-25 seems a bit of mystery: no mention on the Pure Digital site and not easy to track down elsewhere on the web. Maybe it's a special basic version of the DMX50 that Pure are just doing for Argos. I guess I should ask Pure for the full story.

So anyway, thanks for the advisory posts - I appreciate the replies even if I haven't been able to take every point onboard in the Fog of War :)

- Agree that it's worth spending extra for quality. Denon with or without DAB would certainly be an attractive option, having seen good reviews. My only concern is that I tend to be guided by "ethical consumer" type considerations, and had read that Pure had a better record on these grounds. Morals, eh? Bit of a awkward complication on top of all the other factors to worry about!

- I had considered the DMX50 and the SD card was a big plus for me. I'd really like to record or capture FM programmes uncompressed (a Radio 3 freak, you see). I guess this is more important than DAB, although the extra stations do appeal. Although the DMX25 is £100 cheaper, I presume I won't be able to record radio - there's a connection for Ipod/Minidisc but this is apparently an input only? On the other hand, someone has posted that the DMX50 has an issue with its player - had anyone else experienced this?

ProfessorYaffle said:
Have a look at tnese. Also, the DMX-50 seems to have an issue with its CD drive.

Perhaps I should go for a good old Roberts CD radio-cassette stopgap until this whole DAB debate has worked itself out. I do think it merits a thread all of its own!

Ok, digitalradiotec, you obviously have an anti-DAB agenda which is creating bad feeling in the DAB forum.
It's totally inappropriate to criticise a subject within the forum created specifically for people to discuss that subject.
So I don't feel that it's appropriate that you post in this forum any more.
Please refrain from posting in this forum again or you will be banned.
And if you continue to run a forum-wide anti-DAB crusade, you will also be banned permanantly. Yes people can air their opinions and get on a soap box from time to time. But this is not a place where you can set up your soap box at every possible opportunity.

I think it will be a shame if digitalradiotec is stopped from posting about DAB.
He does give good honest advice but his posting style is what gets peoples backs up.
Personally, I feel that he should be allowed to tell people the disadvantages of DAB as long as he doesn't soapbox it - get in, give your views and get out.
I had an altercation with him a few weeks ago but even today I've been quoting him.

Back on topic -

Has anybody bought a DMX25?
After seeing it in the ARGOS catalogue I'm 100% sure this is the one I want.

For the price of the DMX25 it sounds ideal for your needs. I have a DMX50 and it's been excellent. (Just hope the firmware can be upgraded to DMX60 functionality!)

I've been after this system too, but the Argos website states "out of stock and cannot be reserved for instore pick up". Does this model even exist?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom