1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pure Direct

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Poolsharkie69, Dec 22, 2004.

1. Poolsharkie69

Poolsharkie69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok so I have the 1500 as my sig says. I have read the manual and feel that I am not a stupid guy...maybe that is false thinking. I was playing my U2 DVD last night and had it set on Surround enhanced mode...which seems to sound fine. Uses all the speakers blah blah....I decided to hit pure direct thinking that it would deliver a even better sound. So the pure direct takes all the sound processing off the signal coming through..? So I take it this will not work with Digital signals? No sound came out...even though the pretty blue light came on. Can someone shed some pretyy blue light onto what Pure direct mode does exactly and when it shoudl be used? Only for music cd's? Not sure what to think abotu it.

Thanks

Pool

2. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Pure direct is pure stereo only!
    Barend

3. Poolsharkie69

Poolsharkie69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Barend....like i said sometimes im dumb to certian things. Not sure when I would ever use this feature...except for the light.

4. Markie Boy

Markie Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Perth, Western Australia (Originally Ireland)
    Ratings:
    +228
    Pure Direct indeed only works on analog signals only (I think does digital also on the 2500?). It is a mode which switches off all unnecessary circuits within the amplifier such as video switching, display etc. By reducing the signal path, the signal you here should be cleaner and therefore more "pure" as only the left and right amplifiers are enabled.

5. Poolsharkie69

Poolsharkie69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm ok...thanks for the replies.....not sure when I would use this mode... I use 7 ch stereo fro tv watching and music listening. I guess if I play some type of relaxation music for my girlfriend when I **** her off...then having no lights on and only that blue light might make things better... :thumbsup:

6. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I had a look at the service schematics for the RX-V1500, and what happens when you switch into Pure Direct mode is that the entire DSP is bypassed, i.e. the signal is not converted from analog to digital and back. It truly does qualify as pure direct, since the signal doesn't go "around" the DSP in any way, but simply never goes there in the first place. The preamp simply switches to take the analog input "as is" instead of the signal coming back from the DSP, and the DSP is presumably powered off.

There is apparently no need for the Pure Direct mode when using digital signals, as all it would do then is switch off the display.

One could wish for a Pure Direct mode that did not turn off the display though, since even if you want to skip an unnecessary A/D and D/A conversion for 2-channel stereo listening, you may still want to see what source is selected and the volume indicator at a glance. I guess turning off the display and turning on a mesmerizing blue light makes the mode "even purer". :rolleyes:

I don't have anything against the Pure Direct mode as it is though. It's nice to see it there. The blue lit button is nice.

By the way, the signal route in the RX-V1500 looks pretty respectable, at least to me as a layman. I compared the general signal route to that of my old DSP-A1000 and came up with this diagram. I'm not kidding, they differ that much.

7. Poolsharkie69

Poolsharkie69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for th reply. I understand the mode now. Still don't know when I will use it if ever....but that blue light.....so soothing. Thats quite a difference in the pic u posted of the signal route...less interference then by taking a more direct route.

8. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    At this time of year if you're out driving after dark there is a good chance that you may get to see quite a few blue lights - of the flashing variety.

9. Mango Bob

Mango Bob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Zac, the display comes on when you change volume - and probably source too. It's just off temporarily.

10. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I know that, but it would be neat if it could have been set up by the user to not turn off at all. Turning off the display does have some kind of an aesthetic value though. :)

11. Mango Bob

Mango Bob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can't comment on the aesthetics - my 750 is currently behind the christmas tree and it's driving me nuts not being able to see the display at all :rolleyes:

Next year we're getting a smaller bloody tree :D

12. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    Especially with the bright blue light :D