1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pure Direct On 3805: Unimpressed

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Timbo21, Aug 5, 2005.

1. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Hello All,

I've just bought a 3910 & 3805 & am very happy with it all, especially SACD via DL3.

The best sound I've found so far is with using pure direct on 3910, but using
    Room EQ on 3805.

I found using pure direct on amp took all life out of the music & cd's just didn't
    sound how they do on other systems.

I am used to using digital eq's in my job & 9/10 I would choose analogue EQ
    over digital, & there are only a few decent digital eq's, which are pretty expensive.
    Because of this I was expecting to bypass the 3805's Room Eq & go for Pure Direct. However, it just don't sound right!

I suppose very 'flat' systems can sound boring, but I'm sure not like this.

?

2. spl23

spl23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +385
    I've just upgraded from a 2805 to a 3805. With the 2805, I *hated* the Room EQ effects - they just seemed to destroy the soundstage, and I kept them turned off. With the 3805, every time I try turning Room EQ off, I turn it back on again 30 seconds later - it seems to vastly improve the soundstage and the involvement in the sound.

The only snag I've noticed is with quiet material at high gain settings, Room EQ introduces a noticeable amount of hiss. Pure Direct gets rid of this completely - but I think I'd rather have a bit of hiss and the Room EQ sound.

3. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    I just found out you can have Room EQ On when using Pure Direct.
    It's within Auto Set/Room Eq - Direct Mode, in case you don't know.
    But, even then you may still prefer the sound with Pure Direct Off.

4. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +856
    The cleanest signal path should be a digital feed via Denon Link from your 3910 into your 3805 and selecting Pure Direct (so that it doubles up the DAC's to four for each channel). Room EQ can then be toggled on or off once you've set this up in the menus. The sub output can also be switched off if need be.

The other option is to connect a pair of analog phono cables from the 3910 into the 3805. Select Pure Direct on both units. The 3805 has 100% analog bypass in Pure Direct mode (when fed an analog signal) with defeatable (analog filtered) subwoofer output. This will give you the cleanest analog path and you will be using the DAC's in the 3910.