Purchasing Whole New Setup

Black20VT

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

We're looking to update and upgrade to HD. So, we're looking for at least a 42" Plasma/LCD/LED, SkyHD, Blu-Ray, New Amp with HDMI and new speakers and the possibility of a streaming media player such as the Popcorn Hour.

We've been looking around and really like the Panasonic plasma's, but now also like the LED's, but worry about it being new technology, so not sure what route to take. We watch films and sport, but won't be used for games and won't be opposite a window for glare. However, saying we won't play games, I've been thinking about a new PS3 for a blu-ray player?

Is it really best to go and find a store where they'll all got a good feed and compare them side by side?

How do the LED's get on with fast screen movement and football?

Thanks in advance and looking forward to hearing peoples suggestions or if more info is needed.

Last edited:
Let me start with positives 1st, PS3 as BR player is an excellent Idea as you get a very quick loading BR player, which is tried and tested, also gives great perfomance..
Also, games machines is a bonus..
Plus the fact that the newer slim bitstreams over HDMI is good.
Now I have that out of the way, LED LCDs, I personally don't like a technology that has to turn on and off to achieve blacks.
I like simple technology, Plasma, CRT, both produce the best blacks on the market thus far.
Choosing an LCD will be hard because you will fall for the blacks on an LED LCD back lit, but how accurate they will be because of local dimming technology is up to you to discern..
I am a purist, I like real, normal tech, and the simpler it is, the better more effective it is IMO..
I won't advise you on what LCD to get, other than saying Plasma all the way..
Great Blacks, very quick repsonse rates, great colors..
Down side? Poor performance in brightly lit areas due to reflective screens. Burn in issues if 1 does not pay attention to run in, and normal usage.
To sum up, IMO Plasma would beat an LED LCD back lit tech as a) its cheaper, b) its proven, c)its performs better overall.
I own an LCD, I wish I had a Plasma..
I will get one soon..
Just make sure you research and do as much as possible, let your eyes be the judge...

Hope this helps you..

:thumbsup:

Thanks for the comments 24 p, much appreciated.

I've got to be honest, I was swaying towards plasma anyway, but also really liked the look of LED, apart from the price.

Major concerns for LED is that it's new and 'relatively' untested.

The only real concern for me was reflections on the screen of a plasma, however, I suspect this will be the same as the CRT I have now?

Yes, its the same as CRT, remembering that the PDP screen and CRT is glass, that's the only reason it reflects..
Save yourself the $ on LED tech and go a nice PDP, Panasonic x 10 series is real nice, and I have read people getting Full HD 50 inch for 1 k ish..

:)

Well, I've just measured up, and we'll be sat between 10ft and 14ft away from the TV.

So, what would be the best size from that distance?

Has nothing to do with OLED nor FLCD. As "LED" is really LCD with a different lightbulb, moving to LCDs... >>>>>

As for "new and untested"...... the LCD matrix isn't fundamentally new. It's the same as in any other LCD set. And LED lighting isn't new, either. The only thing that's new is the bringing together of these two things.....

50 inch is minimim...
If you are sitting 10 feet away you probably wont be able to resolve Hi def 1080 P, might be wise to go a 720 P set and save some $.. Or possibly go bigger, but I am unaware of any 720 P sets that are bigger than 50 inch..

:thumbsup:

50 inch is minimim...
If you are sitting 10 feet away you probably wont be able to resolve Hi def 1080 P, might be wise to go a 720 P set and save some $.. Or possibly go bigger, but I am unaware of any 720 P sets that are bigger than 50 inch..

Is there a guide for distance and resolution that should/could be followed?

lcd isnt really a new untested technology because they have been used in laptops for maybe over 10 years

lcd isnt really a new untested technology because they have been used in laptops for maybe over 10 years

Who said in this thread LCD was?

sorry late night, range of tvs available is also very confusing.
that should say LED

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom