Purchasing TV but need help? 65” Oled or 75” LCD and sacrifice picture quality for size?

tpdtopcop

Novice Member
Hello all. Looking to purchase TV in the states. I am perplexed on what to get. $1800 is my budget and want the best picture quality and size for that price. Mainly watch shows wire direct tv and stream movies with Netflix, Hulu etc… sports every now and then. I watch day and evening and my room can be bright or dark with a touch of a button. I sit 7-10 feet away.
My choices I be narrowed to are.
LG Oled 65” C1
Sony X90J 75”

any help appreciated

Thanks

Brad

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
There's a huge difference in the HDR capability of those TVs with only the LG OLED being truly HDR capable. The Sony is a mid range TV that is just about OK for HDR.

If you can dim the room and OLED is suitable for you, it's a no brainer.

Dodgexander

I don't think it's worth stepping down to the X90J to go for a bigger size since you take a drop in HDR picture quality.
A better compromise would perhaps but looking at a higher end, but discounted TV from 2020 like the TCL R646 at 75" rather than the X90J.

tpdtopcop

Novice Member
I don't think it's worth stepping down to the X90J to go for a bigger size since you take a drop in HDR picture quality.
A better compromise would perhaps but looking at a higher end, but discounted TV from 2020 like the TCL R646 at 75" rather than the X90J.

I wanted the TCL 75 R646 however you cant find them in the states. Something about Best Buy pulling them in dec 2021 from the stores due to laggy google menus. So basically get the LG Oled 65 if I can’t get the TCL

Dodgexander

I wanted the TCL 75 R646 however you cant find them in the states. Something about Best Buy pulling them in dec 2021 from the stores due to laggy google menus. So basically get the LG Oled 65 if I can’t get the TCL
Sorry, got my model number mixed up. Meant the R635 Roku TV from 2020. R648 is a 2021 model with Google TV and probably out of budget. You can still buy both in the states.

Vizio may also have options at 75" like the P series.

Hisense U8G would be good but max 65".

Samsung/Sony options you pay more or get less HDR performance sadly.

tpdtopcop

Novice Member
Sorry, got my model number mixed up. Meant the R635 Roku TV from 2020. R648 is a 2021 model with Google TV and probably out of budget. You can still buy both in the states.

Vizio may also have options at 75" like the P series.

Hisense U8G would be good but max 65".

Samsung/Sony options you pay more or get less HDR performance sadly.
I found a 75R646 google TCL about 80 miles from me. Would that work? Damn never mind gone. No Hisense U8g near me unfortunately

Last edited:

tpdtopcop

Novice Member
Update. Found a new 75R 646 TCL. Had is for a day and it’s going back. To many UI problems with the main one being when I set picture mode to movie and apply to all inputs when the TV shuts off it doesn’t save the picture mode I applied to all inputs. This also happens when I switch inputs from Sat to fire stick it switche’s to vivid mode automatically and then I can’t switch back to movie. What’s the next best set to look for.

John7

I think at 7-10 foot viewing, you'd be a bit close for 75 inch. That distance is optimal for a 4K, 65 inch screen.

tpdtopcop

Novice Member
Probably next best at 75" is the Vizio P series. I personally wouldn't have hesitations for a 75 or 85" at your viewing distance, but it can be a personal thing.
Did you update to the latest firmware on the TCL and try a factory reset?
Yes. Was on phone with TCL for an hour trouble shooting.

Dodgexander

Other than viewing angle how close is the Hisense U8G to an OLED? Appreciate your opinions.
It gets brighter so it can be more impactful with HDR and does a bit better in brighter rooms since it can get roughly twice as bright. It has a lot more motion blur though, especially in darker areas of the picture. People often describe this as 'ghosting'.

From the people I've seen own the two the U8G is pretty damn good considering the saving you make over an OLED.

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom