Purchasing Sky HD from Independant or Sky direct?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by kbfern, Sep 2, 2007.

1. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,093
    I am going to be getting Sky HD in the next few days and wondering which is the best way to go,Independant supplier or Sky direct.

My local approved Sky supplier can do me an installation in 2-3 days at £249 for box/dish + £40 installation.

Any ideas how long Sky take to arrange installation,it doesn't say on Sky website what sort of wait for installation is and don't want to ring up their sales yet to find out.

Sky is £299 + £30 installation,I was also looking at getting the Sky broadband(don't know if my local guy can sign me up for that yet).

Are the boxes from independents better than from sky(my independent said it is a new box) does he mean a newer version?.

So what do you think, independent or Sky direct,are Sky's installers flexible with where dish & cable runs are going?.

2. supermac

supermac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Go with your local guy. He is more likely to turn up on time and you have a good point of contact if anything should go wrong (and they do, I guess about 20% from what I read on here but allowing for people never reporting when things go right).

The box is the same the only difference is the which version of the software and that gets updated from the Sky signal which is done automatically or you can force an update (search the threads on how to do that).

They will also be more flexable but that will cost more AND they are likely to get it installed quicker. I'm assuming that you don't have Sky+. If you do buy the box yourself and plug it in yourself, ring Sky to pair the card. Its soo easy and there are threads on that

3. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,093
    Supermac

Thanks for the info,I don't have Sky at the moment so it would be a fresh install.