Purchasing Rule of Thumb (Surround Sound)

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Stone Free, Jun 16, 2009.

1. Stone Free

Stone Free

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Hi,

I remember reading that for Hifi it was recommended that you spent 30% on Speakers, 30% on Amp and 30% on the source, leaving 10% for the cables.

Is there a similar rule of thumb for 5.1/6.1 and 7.1?

I would imagine that now with the importance of HDMI that any previous rule of thumb for surround sound would need to be updated with more money spent on the amp.

So far I'm thinking of spending around £1200 - £1400 in total, and going for a 5.1 system with the XLS300 sub, and probably Monitor Audio Bronze series for the speakers.

How much should I spend on the amp?

Peter

2. Andrew K

Andrew K
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +608
    personally I use 60:40 for speakers to amp ratio.

3. xmb

xmb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    I agree you need to spend quite a bit more on the speaker package as this has to include a sub. I have always found it easier to spot the difference in spending more on speakers than between AV amplifiers.

In my case I spent £1500 on 5.1 speakers and £400 on the AV Amp and still may have been able to squeeze a bit more out of the amp if I had room for bigger speakers!

AV Amps don't have as long a life as speakers (technologically speaking) so it always gives me room to upgrade the amp as funds allow 3 to 5 years in the future.

4. Lefty1878

Lefty1878

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
  5. cunny678

cunny678

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +693
    You dont say if you have a blu ray player, but if you dont you may be able to get a good discount on older stock that does not support high def sound as most manufacturers have been rolling out new models recently. So you could get some value if the new decoders are not an issue.

If not i would say that spending more on speakers and less on a good quality amp would be more beneficial. I would suggest going up to £400 or less if you can find a good discontinued product:smashin:

6. rhino2k

rhino2k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,272
    Ditto, you can get very very good mid level amps form the likes of onkyo for £400-£500.

Depending on your tastes, also consider the B&W equivilent speakers, they tend to be much fuller and more bassy, alough the MA stuff is good too, i got a serious demo of some very nice MA speakers and a 6k amp/cdp combo:thumbsup:

7. SoOPersOniC

SoOPersOniC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I dont think that you can really have a set guideline for dividing up your budget unless you are buying products from only the latest ranges available.

Take an Onkyo sr876 for eg. this is supposed to be a £1000 amplifier and it performs like one, but it seems due to the recession we are seeing them sell for a mere £600 brand new.

On the otherhand you may be spending £1000 to get this years model Denon or Yamaha with the latest HD and Audessey features, while buying a 'just discontinued' range of speakers brand new at near half the price.

I think rather than splitting up your budget into unflexible segments, it is far better to know what kind of system you are aiming for and then take advantage of any deals that are going.

For A/V a budget amp is up to around £600 midrange up to £1500ish then with high end it seems there are no limits.

For 5.1 speakers a budget/low midrange set is up to around £1200 then midrange up to around £3000 then high end is above that.

Amongst all of these price brackets though you do get the occasional products that perform outside of their RRP price bracket.