Purchasing DVD's/Blu's from Amazon.com (US).... what would I expect in charges etc....?

nero0410

Distinguished Member
....Also, from US sellers on Amazon.co.uk (UK)

I obviously live in the UK.

There are a few blu rays and dvd collections that I would like to buy over the course of the year from Amazon.com (US), first of which would be the Superman Complete Animated series:
Amazon.com: Superman: The Complete Animated Series: Tim Daly, Dana Delany, David Kaufman, Clancy Brown: Movies & TV

So to use that as an example, I'd like to ask a few questions to others that have bought from Amazon.com in the past.

1. I have been told that if I use 'Expedited Shipping' when buying from the US, it includes all the VAT and customs charges etc.... Is this true?

2. If the above is true, if I tried the priority courier shipping, would this include it all too?
Also, how long would it take via priority courier shipping?

3. Even if both the above are true, is it likely that I'll have to pay a handling fee when it hits the UK?

4. Would all the above apply to US marketplace sellers selling on Amazon.co.uk?
As this seller has the same set (Rarewares USA):
Superman: Complete Animated Series DVD Region 1 US Import NTSC: Amazon.co.uk: Tim Daly, Joseph Bologna, Dana Delany, Kevin Conroy, Mark Hamill, Arleen Sorkin, Clancy Brown, Lisa Edelstein, Efrem Zimbalist Jr., George Dzundza, Peter Renaday, Corey Burton, Bruce W. Timm, Butch Lukic, Curt Geda, Dan Riba, Hiroyuki Aoyama, Kazuhide Tomonaga, Kazumi Fukushima, Kenji Hachizaki: DVD & Blu-ray

and I have been told that VAT is already included in the price Amazon.co.uk show's, and under rarewares postage details:
Amazon.co.uk At a Glance: RAREWAVES USA
it says that they can do a 24 hour service for £8.98
(I presume thats on top of the £3.99 standard fee)

Cheers

tris

For ref, I think I got a bit confused with all this during a conversation with Amazon Customer Services. According to them it should all be fine, but I'm not sure we understood each other too well:
11:43 PM BST ME: So since I live in the Uk, if I order from Amazon.co.uk, the item I linked, I will still have to pay customs charges?
11:44 PM BST ME: But if I order the same item from Amazon.com, and choose expidited the charges will be included? Is that correct?
11:47 PM BST CS(Amazon): Thanks for waiting.
11:47 PM BST ME: No problem.
11:48 PM BST CS(Amazon): If you place the order in Amazon.uk you will not be charged for the VAT.
And about the Amazon.com I'll contact them and will get back to with an update.
11:49 PM BST ME: So if I place the order on Amazon.co.uk, even though the item is sent from the US I'll definitely not be charged any more than what it says on the uk site? (from the seller I linked)
11:51 PM BST ME: As the seller on the uk site marketplace is sending from the us since it's an import?
11:52 PM BST CS(Amazon): If the item delivers to UK there will not be no customs charge.
11:53 PM BST CS(Amazon): And about the seller order, I request you to contact the seller itself.
11:53 PM BST ME: I was a little confused, as the seller would be sending it to the UK from the US.
11:54 PM BST CS(Amazon): It depends on the seller.
11:55 PM BST ME: Ok, I'll have to contact them. Thank you very much for your time.
11:55 PM BST CS(Amazon): You're welcome.
Is there any thing else I can help you with?
11:56 PM BST ME: Not sure I understand how it would depend on the seller though, would the UK's laws require that I do?
11:57 PM BST CS(Amazon): In accordance with the laws governing members of the European Union, Amazon.co.uk charges VAT as required on goods delivered to destinations in member countries of the EU. VAT is charged in accordance with the local legislation in each member state.
When you purchase an item on our website, the price you see initially is the price that includes the rate of VAT applicable within the United Kingdom.
11:58 PM BST ME: Ahh, so if I buy from someone on the market place that lives in the US and I live in the UK you mean the customs/vat is already applied?
11:59 PM BST ME: So the price I see is the total cost of the item, including vat and customs?
11:59 PM BST CS(Amazon): Yes.
12:00 AM BST CS(Amazon): You are correct.
12:00 AM BST ME: Right, got it. Well thank you very much for your time, that's brilliant. Thanks again and have a good night.
12:02 AM BST CS(Amazon): You're welcome.
Is there any thing else I can help you with?
Thank you so much for your patience and understanding.

rebel_scum

Distinguished Member
1. Yes.

2. Depends on when Amazon actually ship it out. It's usually 48hrs from item shipping, to delivery. I popped it into the basket and went through the checkout phase and it states Friday 11th April as delivery day.

It's £29.71 using Expedited, which includes shipping and fees. £40.87 using the Priority shipping.

3. No. You're obviously paying it up front.

4. Some US marketplace sellers are customs safe, some aren't. I know that All Your Music is generally safe, no idea about Rarewaves. Ordering something from a US seller from Amazon UK, is NOT a guarantee of dodging customs. That's nonsense. Also, their packaging is complete ****. I wouldn't dream of ordering anything other than a standard BD or DVD from them.

I'd go the Amazon.com expedited route here, quite frankly. It costs less and the delivery timeframe is roughly the same, as dealing with a US marketplace seller via the UK site.

But if you want it for this Friday...

Last edited:

nero0410

Distinguished Member
Thanks very much for the clear answers :)

It's $35 to order directly from Amazon it's self, the $29 one is from a US marketplace trader, so I'd be going for the one directly from Amazon.

1. So I'm presuming the 'priority courier shipping' would also include the customs, vat and charges etc....?
(I was looking at £40ish to get it here quick, but I'll be ordering over the weekend for delivery next week. Just want to use this method for the first time I order - that and I've been after this for a long time :rolleyes:)

2. Is expedited a standard 7-14day delivery?

3. With both expedited and priority courier shipping, is there not a handling charge from the courier/royal mail?

4. Would a dvd set such as this need to have any surcharges?

It looking like buying directly from Amazon.com is the best way to go then, at least the customs, vat and charges etc.... are paid then.

Cheers

tris

rebel_scum

Distinguished Member
1. Yes.

2. Yes. It's usually around 8 days for my parcels. I've a copy of Anchorman 2 out for delivery from the 8th and the 16th is the delivery date. It might arrive a few days early, or a day late.

3. No, because your paying the customs fees up front, which cancels out such hassles.

4. No. You pay what I've outlined in the prev post, that's it.

nero0410

Distinguished Member
Excellent, good to know all the charges are included, I'll order over the weekend.

Thanks very much for the help, it's greatly appreciated.

tris

figrin_dan

The last thing I ordered using 'Expedited Shipping' didn't get stopped at customs so after a few weeks I was automatically refunded that charge. Which was nice.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom