1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Purchasing a Sony RDR-HX900

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by richie2004, Jan 19, 2005.

1. richie2004

richie2004
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello - I'm thinking of buying a Sony RDR-HX900 does anyone know here I can get the cheapest multi-region Sony RDR-HX900 online?

I don't really want to pay more than 450 GBP for a recorder but I'd really like the Sony as read reviews which say the picture quality is excellent and I will use the recorder to watch a lot of pre-recorded dvds on (5 or so a week), so I need one which is good for dvd playback.

Many thanks

2. graystreet

graystreet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
  3. DrChris

DrChris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I just brought a Sony RDR-HX900 multiregion (software applied so no opening and soldering) yesterday from Edgeware Hifi centre for £464. I ordered it Tuesday at 11:30am and it arrived Wednesday at 11:30 24hr delivery as they said. As you rightly said, picture and sound quality is 2nd to none. Not as good as some when editing but I would always use a PC for editing and creating my own films. I am 100% happy with both the supplier and the recorder and would reccomend both.

:thumbsup:

Regards Chris

4. richie2004

richie2004
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that Chris - I assume you don't find the Sony too noisy or anything? as I understand that was a complaint with some of the toshiba and Panasonic models regarding the noise from the fan.

Thanks
    Richie

5. Lord Lucan

Lord Lucan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hello, I've had the 900 since last October and have no complaints about the fan noise. Nobody seems to mention the audio quality, from CD or MP3, of this machine. It is nearly as good as my Cyrus DAD3 Q24 which retailed for £900.

The PQ is first rate. If you can live without all the fancy editing facilities other manufacturers offer I would without hesitation recommend it.

6. DrChris

DrChris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    richie2004
    Sorry for the delayed answer to your question, my Sony is silent, it is in a cabinet but the doors are open and I cannot hear the fan.
    Just edit my 1st recorder program and cut it to DVD -RW and it was perfect. This recorder just gets better as I have just fed the optical lead to my Sony Home Cinema and the sound is as good as the picture. I give it 100% :thumbsup:

Regards Chris

7. thames

thames

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got offered good deals from both PRC and RGB.

It's a superb recorder. I have two minor issues though.

Fast Forward is horrible, hard to get use to and difficult to search forward with.

The tuner seems to have problems dimming the picture whenever titles are displayed, for instance during the news or when football stats come up during a game.

Other than that I think the picture quality is superb when watching from any other source.

8. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    I got My Sony HX900 multiregion from rgbdirect.com and there is no noise from the fan (or anything alse) whatsoever. I tried a panasonic DMRE95 before this, which made a lot of noise when finalising or fast dubbing.

I am very happy with the 900. Fantastic playback and sound of DVD's + great
    record quality.

Tim.

9. Cippico

Cippico
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The audio CD playback is awesome, as is the picture. DVD playback is rock solid. Mine is virtually silent. The only thing I hear is a very faint HDD noise.
    On the downside, you can't split recordings, although you do have an A-B delete. Also, the FF and RW are not as smooth as they could be. A real shame - my 3 year old JVC HM-HDS1 is the pinnacle of HDD navigation in that respect.
    All in all, very little regrets.

Andy