Purchased laptop online, weird fault and my rights

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by JackFord, Feb 18, 2013.

1. JackFord

JackFord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I didn't really want to post this here, I thought I had a decent grasp of consumer rights but any advice would be appreciated.

I purchased a laptop from ebuyer 3 weeks ago. Didn't have wireless so I plugged the laptop into my hub with a standard network cable. A week later I have a wireless hub set up and working. I tried to remove the network cable from the laptop and it's stuck inside. It won't come out, pushing the tab down etc.

I haven't used force I don't want to break it. I called ebuyer and they said it sounded like a weird issue (I haven't heard of it either). They said try and pry it out with a screw driver, I told them I wasn't prepared to do this.

They asked me to take photos and email them to verify I had used the correct cable/hole which I had (and I emailed them).

They then went on to say they would have the laptop back, but would try and remove the cable, if they couldn't they would send it back - they said it would be user damage - I explained to them it couldn't be user damaged, I just plugged the cable in, it came straight out my old PC

They kept trying to say they can't do anything, user damage. I said it was a manufacture fault and they finally said they were prepared to swap it but they would need to pass me to the manufacture (Toshiba) or they would have to refer it to the manufacture.

I have now boxed it up ready to send back to them, but want to know where I stand. I am pretty sure the onus is on them to sort it, not Toshiba. Also I believe if it comes to Small Claims the onus is on them to prove I have broken it (before 6 months) is up?

Also, today I turned it on to film a video of it (that the cable works when plugged into the hub) and the screen is all pixely and pink, very odd, no doubt graphics card.

Just looking for some general advice on what to do, do I push them, do I go straight to small claims? What to do guys - Thanks

2. RBZ5416

RBZ5416
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,411
    Whilst your contract is indeed with Ebuyer & it is their responsibility to sort it, it may well be better & quicker for you to deal direct with Toshiba. Perhaps give Tosh a call & see what they say.

3. tankuk

tankuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi JackFord,

Dont know if this will help but I have had a problem with network cables from ebuyer in the past. If your network cable was from them it could be the issue I had. Where the rj45 clip is there is a little bubble which dose not allow you to remove the cable when you push the clip down. I ordered allot of these and had to send back several orders as it looked like a manufacturing defect.

4. snaithg

snaithg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +623
    Does your connector have a plastic/rubber shroud on it. If so try gently pulling that further up the cable away from the connector, these sometimes get in the way of the latching mechanism.

Graham.

5. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13,424
    Had this problem before, with cheap and nasty patch leads.

Use a really slim screwdriver to help push the tab down, and then pull the cable out.

6. Freedom810

Freedom810

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    We have this problem at work sometimes, I just use a bit of force. Then again you are risking potential breakage but well, I can't say I really mind if its at work. :rolleyes:

7. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,494
    Had this problem before on either my son or daughters Dell.

Probably a cheap patch cable because it hasn't done it since.

Quite scary but it was just a case of pushing down the latch and pulling hard whilst trying to wiggle it up\down\left\right.

Came out without any damage and used different patch cable since without the same problem.

The thing is, whilst it is jammed it is unlikely to the connectors - just plug\socket bodies catching so it is unlikely to do any harm.

Cheers,

Nigel

8. Graham27

Graham27

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +976
    The onus is on them to show that the fault isn't inherent, but that doesn't mean they're obligated to sort out the situation. If they can show that the fault isn't inherent, such as by proving your cable is defective, then it's back to being your responsibility. They're unlikely to bill you if they successfully remove it, but if any damage is done by them trying to remove it you can't really complain.

It'd be pointless going to small claims, as you still haven't sussed out what's causing the issue. You'd require evidence to support your small claims case, which you don't have. Sorry :)

As I see it, you'd probably be best taking it to a pc repair shop or similar. If they get the cable out and it's just a wonky cable, then at least you have it out. If they get it out and it's a wonky connector, the responsibility to pay for it should rest with the supplier. Maybe suggest this to ebuyer?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013