• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Answered Purchase on Xbox Live or On Hard Copy - GTAV

RichardBoult

My son is after this game for Christmas. Our setup is that in the house we have two Xbox One's as bedroom machines for my two teenagers.

Now in my day you'd pop to the shop and buy the cassette and stick it in your VIC20 and go away for an hour or so and so I've transposed this thinking to these disc thingies that I then had to stick in my playstation.

For this purchase the kids have garbled something at me about not buying a hard copy and that they can buy it online and this confers some kind of potential game sharing between the two machines......

It seemed that their mouths were making noises that sounded like Xbox Live or something.

Could someone please help me decide what would make the kids the happiest on Christmas day? Surely whatever passes for 'vouchers' or whatever these days is not as exciting to open than a nice shiny boxed game?

King Tones

Distinguished Member
Have a look at the Game sharing thread or the FAQ. Should have all the info you need.

Basics are that you can buy a Digital Game and share it between 2 consoles.

PC1975

Distinguished Member
OK, I haven't tried this myself but as far as I'm aware this is how it basically works:

Firstly, Xbox Live is just the name for the online marketplace.

Each of your kids will have his own Xbox profile. As long as both profiles are on each console then they can both play any of the games that either has purchased online (you can set up multiple profiles on a console). The games will have to be downloaded on to each console.

So you buy the game online with one profile. Then log in with that same profile on the other console and download the game onto that console too. The profile that the game was bought with has to remain on both consoles to access the game but you can still switch profiles and play it using a different one.

You can only share your games with one other profile. This link provides a step by step guide: How to Gameshare on Xbox One

Last edited:

King Tones

Distinguished Member
You don't have to have the profile on both consoles as that won't work because as soon as they login on the other console it logs out of the other.

If your lads have a profile each then you want to buy the Digital Game via the Online Store on the console using one of the lads profiles.
You can add a card to pay or use Xbox Live Credit which can be purchased from most online retailers or places like Game, Tesco & ASDA.

Now when you buy a Digital Game with a Gamertag you get 2 licenses, 1 for the Gamertag that purchased the game and 1 license for the 'Home' Console.

With this that means that you can log into another console with the Gamertag that purchased the game and then set that console as 'Home' Console. That console now has the license to install and play that game without having to buy it again. And anyone logging into that console will have access to that game.

The Gamertag that purchased the game now just logs into their own console and plays the game using their Gamertag.

This means that you can buy a Digital Game and share it between the 2 consoles and anyone who plays on them. Making it cheaper and not needing to buy 2 Physical Discs.
You can also share Xbox Live Gold via this process.

There are downsides though, as there is 2 license for the Digital Game the Gamertag that makes the purchase must log into Live and be connected for the License to be verified so that lad would always have to be online to play the game. If your Net goes down or Live is down then it can't verify it. The 'Home' console will be fine.

Have a read of the FAQ Section in this Sub Forum.

Xbox One User Guide & FAQ

Any questions just shout.

RichardBoult

OK I kinda get the online thingy now.....

How does this look as a present? Can I buy a voucher that I can wrap up?

Also, I note that the online version is much more expensive than I can pick up the disc at a retailer and also is the price likely to fluctuate (increase) after Christmas as all those kids with voucher clutched in their mitts go online to download the game they've had their eye on for weeks?

And Tyler no offence or anything taken and I guess we can debate the morals all day long but no they are not of 'legal' age (they are 14 and 15), however all of their friends are banging away on games that are too old, it is numerous years since they came back from sleepovers to tell me they'd been watching horror movies that their friends had put on, the kids down the park swear spit and I dare say some of them drink a bit and smoke (even the green tobacco) and I for one didn't wait until legal age until we snuck a copy of Playboy into the local playing field pavilion!

I'm not saying anything above is right and I am pretty confident that mine don't do most of it (but can't be 100%) but this is modern day parenting.......and if playing a game when they're under age for it is the extent of my problem then....well....its not really too much of a probalem is it?

Waynej

Distinguished Member
Your kids sound rather smart, are you sure they're not members here already? lol

It sounds like they're already aware of game sharing, and if they're not fully in the know then there is a thread here which no doubt someone has already linked above.

If you have Fibre broadband you could just give them a Xbox Gift card to the value of the game, if you have standard Broadband it might be better to give that a few days early to ensure the game downloads and is ready for Xmas gaming.

Edit: It's also worth noting that GTA V is a near 50GB game, so if both consoles are to download it you are looking at a 100GB download. I use an external USB 3.0 HDD for Xbox One games, so with that you can download the game once and then copy from that drive to another console.

Last edited:

WillyShatsWig

I let my underage soon play GTA 5 Online with similar age friends, but there's no way he's touching the main game until hes at (very) least 15. It's not the swearing or violence, it's more the drugs, drink and violent sex.

BloodRose

OK I kinda get the online thingy now.....

How does this look as a present? Can I buy a voucher that I can wrap up?

Also, I note that the online version is much more expensive than I can pick up the disc at a retailer and also is the price likely to fluctuate (increase) after Christmas as all those kids with voucher clutched in their mitts go online to download the game they've had their eye on for weeks?

And Tyler no offence or anything taken and I guess we can debate the morals all day long but no they are not of 'legal' age (they are 14 and 15), however all of their friends are banging away on games that are too old, it is numerous years since they came back from sleepovers to tell me they'd been watching horror movies that their friends had put on, the kids down the park swear spit and I dare say some of them drink a bit and smoke (even the green tobacco) and I for one didn't wait until legal age until we snuck a copy of Playboy into the local playing field pavilion!

I'm not saying anything above is right and I am pretty confident that mine don't do most of it (but can't be 100%) but this is modern day parenting.......and if playing a game when they're under age for it is the extent of my problem then....well....its not really too much of a probalem is it?

That game is still just about the most adult one available on any console and it was released over 2 years ago. Even the slightly more tame online mode still includes interactive prostitutes, a topless lap dancing club and some extremely strong/sexual language and graphic violent content.

It's obviously up to you what your kids do but I'm still quite young myself and reasonably liberal minded and if I had kids then there is no way that I would let them anywhere near it. Some games really do warrant their age rating and that game is one of them.

Jim Di Griz

Distinguished Member
That game is still just about the most adult one available on any console and it was released over 2 years ago. Even the slightly more tame online mode still includes interactive prostitutes, a topless lap dancing club and some extremely strong/sexual language and graphic violent content.

It's obviously up to you what your kids do but I'm still quite young myself and reasonably liberal minded and if I had kids then there is no way that I would let them anywhere near it. Some games really do warrant their age rating and that game is one of them.

Ha my mum and dad (yes both of them!) love it and watching them play it now and then makes me cringe a bit with some of the stuff in there. They cant wait to complete it all over again on the Xbox One after Xmas (they finished just about everything you can do on the 360!).

I don't have kids but if I did, I wouldn't let them anywhere near this and Im certainly no prude.

The latest video from AVForums

Hisense U7H TV and T+A Solitaire T headphone reviews, AV/HiFi news plus, what is screen uniformity?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom