Purchase of SKY HD Box

Owend

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello Peeps,

I'm looking to purchase a SKY HD box (self installation) this weekend, preferably in the S.London area, can anyone give me any tips of where I can find an authorized reseller. I've seen some on ebay, with mixed reviews, so I'm a little unsure about buying from there.

any tips/pointers/help would be appreciated.

Regds

Owen

I'm looking to do the same in Manchester, where I'll be on Thursday on Friday - so this request is a bit urgent.

Same situation as the OP - self installation etc.

I'll be taking the box outside the UK, so somewhere offering a retailer's (rather than the usual manufacturer's) guarantee would be an advantage.

What about
http://www.satbuyer.co.uk/ £189.
Dont know much about the Company though.

Is that the best deal around at the moment for a HD box?

Also is this a subsidised box?

Meaning you HAVE to take up the £10 a month subs?

I know some the the past deals for HD boxed forced you to sign up for the HD channels, and i don't want to do that yet.

FYI - Sky can't force you to take up the HD subscription. If when pairing your existing subscription card you want to make sure HD is not activated, tell them its a Sky+ box ;)

or alternatively just keep telling them you don't want HD activating yet because you've not got your telly yet etc etc.

£189 seems a good price for a self install, i mentioned them yesterday on here.

Yes but i remember a deal from some company, and the small print said something like....

"By purchasing this SkyHD box (for £150) you are agreeing to sign up for the £10 a month HD channels for 12 months, if you do not, we will send a bill for a further £130, as the Hd box is a subsidesed price of £150"

you can get a box from sky at £199 self install. got mine on monday, did a software update, then a call to sky to pair the card. went like a dream. also you get all the instructions in the box to do the self install

you can get a box from sky at £199 self install. got mine on monday, did a software update, then a call to sky to pair the card. went like a dream. also you get all the instructions in the box to do the self install

You need to change your sig then ;)

There's quite a few of us on here that got our boxes from these people - http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/skysatellites

Their feedback speaks for itself.

JESUS!! they have sold alot of HD boxes!

£188 inc del, i'm tempted, i know there fast but i doubt i'd get it for tonights England game. lol!

They mention
latest model 3rd generation with silent drive

Can you confirm the box is quiet, my current Sky+ box has never made a noise, so i don't want to be disappointed by the noise of the HD box as i've heard reports of them being noisey.

Mine is absolutely fine noise wise. I can't recall his name but there was another guy who got his box from those people and he made a point of how quiet his box was.

Can you confirm the box is quiet, my current Sky+ box has never made a noise, so i don't want to be disappointed by the noise of the HD box as i've heard reports of them being noisey.

Ah.....

All I can say is: prepare to be disappointed.

Ah.....

All I can say is: prepare to be disappointed.

While I don't doubt there's noisy boxes out there these posts aren't exactly helpful. You've obviously got a noisy box.. Unlucky mate.

Saying that it's not fair to try and mislead oasismark by suggesting ALL boxes are noisy.

Am I right in saying that your Boxes are Quiet?

I can't believe this!!!

Even Sky + wasn't?

Well my box (singular) is. Not really sure how I could prove it but it's virtually silent.

My Sky+ V1 is almost silent (although I think it may be thinking about passing soon!!!) and my Sky HD is noiser but not annoyingly so. The room the HD in is relatively noisy though, with PJ,Tosh EX1, PS3 and air con!!!

AM going to replace the Sky+ with HD box with no HD sub from Sky or Ebay as soon as I decide which one!

Dave

My sky+ box isn't silent, but it can only be heard when the tv is switched off, in the 20 seconds it takes the Harddrive to stop spinning.

I've reaad reports that some HD boxes are like 'jet engines', an exageration i know, but clearly shows that some are niosier then others.

Just ordered from ebay guy.

£188 delivered.

Can't belive i've just done that, i don't normally impulse buy.

Just ordered from ebay guy.

£188 delivered.

Can't belive i've just done that, i don't normally impulse buy.

Congratulations and the best of luck with it. If you get a good 'un, and most of us do, you'll love it. But like I said, prepare to be disappointed re the noise aspect, because there's a hard disk and two fans in there doing a lot of whirring.

My solution was to site the box on a set of Foculpods, which didn't reduce the noise it made but certainly absorbed the majority of it rather than allow it to channel out through the rack. It also increased the "ride-height", allowing more space for heat to dissipate.

You just got unlucky, 99% of HD boxes i trade are silent, or at worse 'quiet'

Hi all,

It's not really noisy but switch your TV off and see if you can hear it....I can't with cabinet closed but open you can..2 fans and a hard drive..There's got to be noise!!

And NO and I can't hear it with sound up!!!

Just to update.

Received the box on friday, it actually came thursday but i was out. Unpacked and connected it, went straight to BBC HD, impressed. then did a software update, then called sky to pair the card. all went fine, i upgraded to all variety and sports and added the HD channels. I was gonna hold off getting the HD channels but i asked if i'd have to enter into a 12 month contract again, and she said no, i if i don't watch em i can cancel in a month.

As for the box, it's very quiet, which i'm happy about. :thumbsup: The only thing i can hear is if i i'm recording something and the turn the tv sound off, and get right close to it, i can hear the HD doing that writing noise.

The version is the 3007 one.

Watched some football , superb picture, in fact all HD channels are great. (tv is a 42" PX60). HD box is set to 1080i, not had a good fiddle with the settings yet, but this looked the best, up to now.

Found myself watching allsorts on Disc, Nat G just cos it's in HD, watched a thing about custom car painting!!

I'm also well impressed at how the SD channels look.

Overall i'm very impressed, but still in the hunymoon stage.

One question? the sound on all the HD channels is much quieter then the SD channels, is this normal?

is it possible to order the box and then get sky to do the installation?

how much would they charge if it's possible?

One question? the sound on all the HD channels is much quieter then the SD channels, is this normal?

This only works on HD channels. Press the "Help" button, and set Audio Description to "on", then press enter. It increased the volume and spatial separation. I don't know why. It just does.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom