Quantcast

Purchase of HDTV,setting up Xbox 360 with no HDMI,Please Help Me Out!

Kaininable

Standard Member
Hey Guys,

I understand that this is probably a question that has been covered but it always seems I cant get a clear idea of the answer. I would love so much if someone could just have a look at all my questions and offer there advice and opinions.The reason im starting from square one with these questions is cos I dont want to accumalate what I think is all necessary accessories only to be dissapointed at the final hurdle.

Im purchasing a HDTV in november for my birthday,after much research I think I have settled on a PANASONIC VIERA TX-P42S20B 42" Full HD Plasma.First question,anyone got an opinion on this television ? It will be used 80% for Gaming on an xbox 360,and otherwise for television and DVD's. This tv seems to have everything I need and sounds like the best bet. Please comment on my choice and any other alternatives out there,I just want my tv to look great for gaming and to hopefully last.I have read so much about burn-in and so on but from what I can gather it isnt that huge a problem anymore,esp if i take precautions and dont abuse the tv during the first 100hours.My budget is no more than £600

Secondly,my xbox has no HDMI slot,which is a bit of a bummer and I have read about VGA cables and just using the component cables and just want a straightforward easy answer on what extra cables I would need to get the most for my gaming experience,or if I can just use the standard cable I got with the 360 in the first place.Problem is I have used this cable when taking my xbox round a friends house on his HDTV and it looked terrible but its possible his setting were not right and we didnt look into it or try and change any settings.

Is it worth buying the madcatz adapter to be able to use HDMI cables?

Again,sorry if this is a basic question for you guys,Im just so sick of reading page after page of information on HDTV's and VGA cables and HDMI and blah blah blah I just want to be sure what it gets to my birthday on november 14, I have everything I need (it falls on a sunday and Its likely I wont be able to acquire the extra stuff on that day due to shops being closed,which would make me do a super cry cos im so hyped about it all)

One more funny thing just for your enjoyment,my current tv is so blurry,I cant read the writing in most games anymore,the colours are completely screwed,when playing battlefield 2 bad company im at a complete disadvantage to everyone else.what makes it worse is I play as a sniper!! and still do alright and so im looking forward to consistantly coming top of the leader boards once its all in nice and shiny HD. And maybe i'll even get some enjoyment from reading my stats for once,and being able to see what I've unlocked. Roll on november 14!

Cheers guys,much appreciated!

Last edited:

Indiana Jones

Is your 360 a Core or Premium? as the Core only came with a composite cable but the Premium came with a composite/component cable which allowed you to play in HD so if you have that cable you will be all set.

As for that Madcatz adapter I wouldn't bother, it's only useful if you don't have any component inputs and need to use HDMI, the adapter won't do anything for the image quality.

Last edited:

Kaininable

Standard Member
wow thanks for the reply so quick and for not judging me! :)

I got the premium (the one with the hard drive isnt it?) and the cable has the hdtv/tv switch on it...

Do you think the reason it looked so bad on my friends HDTV is cos we didnt mess about with the settings at all and just plugged it in and started straight away with that standard cable?

Thanks again

Indiana Jones

wow thanks for the reply so quick and for not judging me! :)

I got the premium (the one with the hard drive isnt it?) and the cable has the hdtv/tv switch on it...

Do you think the reason it looked so bad on my friends HDTV is cos we didnt mess about with the settings at all and just plugged it in and started straight away with that standard cable?

Thanks again
As long as the 360 was set to an HD resolution and the switch was on HDTV instead of TV then I am not sure why it looked bad, even with screwy TV settings it should have looked pretty good.

Kaininable

Standard Member
Weird! was just really fuzzy,basically looked like a mega drive or something lol.

Well thanks so much anyway.guess I'll just leave the cables for now then!

No opinion on tv? Does it really matter that much anyway? I play alot of computer and want it to be decent but feel I might have over-researched to the point where Im worrying about stuff that only a tech expert would really pick up on!

Thanks!

Indiana Jones

Weird! was just really fuzzy,basically looked like a mega drive or something lol.

Well thanks so much anyway.guess I'll just leave the cables for now then!

No opinion on tv? Does it really matter that much anyway? I play alot of computer and want it to be decent but feel I might have over-researched to the point where Im worrying about stuff that only a tech expert would really pick up on!

Thanks!
If it was fuzzy it sounds like it was running in SD rather than HD.

As for the TV I have never looked into a Plasma, the only thing I would be worried about is possible screen burn especially from games that have a HUD.

for_mandalore

Novice Member
I'm jealous after looking at the tv you're going to get :smashin:

I don't know what could cause the display problems on your friends telly, only to repeat what Indy has already said: make sure that the tv is set on it's HD channel and that the switch on the cable is in HD.

I just upgraded from an old 360 launch premium with which I used VGA for many years. Back when I first asked the question like you have, VGA was rated better than HD component. Unfortunately, the VIERA you're after doesn't seem to support a VGA or DVI connection:

3 x HDMI
2 x Scart
1 x Component
1 x Composite
1 x Audio input for video
1 x Audio Input for HDMI, PC, Component
1 x Optical Digital Audio Output
1 x monitor audio out
1 x Headphone
1 x CI Slot
Viera Link (HDAVI Control 5)

:rolleyes: So I might have just wasted both our time by posting. Where are ou buying it from? Is there any way you could ask for a 360 demo?

Andori

May be an obvious statement, but make sure you use the red/green/blue plugs (component) not the yellow one (composite) :)

Top Bottom