1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Purchase of a Panny plasma by a newbie

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by adopted scouser, Oct 13, 2004.

1. adopted scouser

adopted scouser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Dear all,

Having read loads of posts on the AV Forum I've decided on a Panasonic 42" PW7 and misc other AV equipment.

I'm a complete newbie when it comes to the world of plasma screens, but having read plenty of advice from the plasma gurus on this forum I've ended up with this configuration:

VIDEO:
    Panasonic TH-42PW7B (use the built-in vga plug)
    Van Damme VGA 15 pin HD to VGA 15 pin HD (plasma to converter)
    JS RGB to Plasma Screen VGA Converter
    QED SQART AV41 RGB Special Edition SCART to SCART (converter to AV receiver)
    Pioneer VSX-502-S AV Reciever (My old Denon AV Receiver is overdue replacing)

To the AV Reciever I will connect my existing Denon DVD player (it only has scart and s-video) via RGB scart, Pace Sky+ via RGB scart and Nokia European Satellite Digibox via RGB scart.

AUDIO:
    DVD to AV Reciever via optical cable
    Sky+ to AV Reciever via optical cable

To you AV gods out there, is this a reasonable and feasible setup? Or do you have any better ideas? As far as I see it my only concern is lip sync. Will this be an issue?

I will be absolutely sure before I splash the cash.

Also from reading good feedback on AV Sales, I'm ready to place as much as possible of the order with them. Good idea?

2. adopted scouser

adopted scouser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Anyone out there that can help me? Or have any input on my suggested setup? :lease:

as

3. Tony8377

Tony8377

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I think the reason why you haven't had any responses is that you are pretty much spot on. You've obviously been reading a lot on here. I personally would recommend (although I think others may disagree) you also buy a component capable DVD player even if its only a cheap one initially (Toshiba sd 330 for £55, see pricerunner). Most people would recommend spending at least £500 but it will depend on your budget and how much you will use it. Therefore you would also need to buy a component board (best to buy at the same time as plasma as you will get a discount from AV Sales).

Pioneer Amp doesn't get the best reviews for sound but people love it for its simplicity (one of the few with scart inputs) and I would recommend for simple video switching.

Also consider buying QED scarts throughout (rubbish in rubbish out as they say).

4. adopted scouser

adopted scouser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for your reply Tony8377.

I will consider buying a component board at the same time. My plan was to wait to purchase a new DVD, but I might be able to squeeze it in on my current budget. I have a Pioneer DV-575A-S in mind for a new DVD.

Does anyone have an input on the potensial lip sync issue?

5. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    don't waste money on expensive cables
    that make no difference to the picture AT ALL!

SCART £2.50 tops
    SVGA leag £8 (Belkin Pro High Integrity)

6. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    £2.50 for a SCART lead! Is it made from an piece of telephone cable wrapped in tin foil!

Would agree that it's probably not necessary to spend silly money on a SCART cable, particularly for a short cable run, but you still need a reasonable cable to avoid interference problems. Imagine if the poor guy sinks his £2.50 cable into his wall and finds the picture is crap due to signal interference!

I would go for a cable between 10 and 20x the above figure to be sure.

The VGA cable I agree on. VGA cable are intended for high definition signal transfer, in a high demand environment.