1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Purchase due tommorrow, help please

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by mizzat, Jul 30, 2004.

1. mizzat

mizzat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all. Just received the nod from my significant other to proceed with the purchase of a plasma TV. We decided on the Panny 42PW6 which will be wall mounted. I am now stuck with all the gumf on terminal baords and tuner boxes and cannot make heads or tails. I don't want to be taken for a ride by the salesperson or to make a fool of myself. Can some one give me a summary of what I require to view Sky and DVD's. An idea on best purchase price would be grand as a partering tools at the dealers. MAny thanks to all.

Steve

2. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Well for starters I would ignore the tuner option...a complete waste of money as you have Sky.

I presume that your DVD player can output component and prefereable progressive scan...so I would get the component board and connect the DVD player to that.

If your DVD player does not support component output then it may well be worth thinking about upgrading to a prog scan player.

Then I would go the the JS Tech RGB2VGA converter along with a VGA cable and decent SCART lead. You then connecct your Sky box to the JS Tech box via the SCART lead which in turn connects to your plasma's VGA input via the VGA cable.

With that combo you would be getting the best possible picture for the items you have IMHO.

For pricing I would recommend you take a look at www.av-sales.co.uk who are well liked on these boards and have good pricing.

Cheers, Lee

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    If you are buying a Panny consumer model you will get a scart board in the box, more info on DVD player would help. ie MAke, Model etc

4. mizzat

mizzat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks for the advice so far. The DVD is a Sony DAVS880. Does that change your advice. I have no idea what progressive scan is or if this Sony supports it. I will be on standby all night for more advice please.

Steve

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    it has S-video and composite, not sure if it does have component if so use that!

6. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hi Steve,

As far as I know the DAVS880 does have component outputs but only supports NTSC progressive output not PAL...a quick look at your manual should tell you for sure.

Cheers, Lee

7. mizzat

mizzat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply.

Below is the feature set from the Sony site:

Description/Features:

Complete DVD Home Theatre System with Floor-standing Speakers
    Dolby Digital/Dolby ProLogic II/DTS 5.1ch Receiver/RDS tuner
    MP3 CDR Playback
    New on-screen menu
    Component Video Out
    Super Audio CD Multi Channel Playback
    S-Master Full Digital Amplifier
    Total 600W: 100W x 5 + 100W
    Five 3-drive unit speakers with detachable nets and Sub Woofer

Is fifth item above what you referred to?

In essence I can connect both the Sky box and the DVD stright to the Panny without any extra "boxes". Am I correct?

Steve

8. Apnomis

Apnomis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    You can get the TY42TM6Y which is dual width and can accept component, composite, RGB, RGBHV and S-Video inputs. I'm I think there are limitations on which ones use with which but you may be able to use the Component connection for the DVD and S-Video for Sky (I think I read somewhere that Sky has S-Video out), or you could use your amp to send them both via S-Video.

I personally use the above (came free with the PW6 costing £1969.99 on the net to give you a price idea, but the offer has now changed to Scart and is £100 more) and also the TY42TM6T which is the Scart board (£80 from the AV Classifieds). Now I've come to realise that this forum is full of JS Technology fanboys that will tell you how abismal the Scart is. But personally I have my NTL outputting RGB via Scart using a good quality cable and am more than happy with the picture quality and I find the auto aspect ratio switching a god send (only available on Scart without addition hardware).

All new programs look great via the scart, you can see a little bit of compression on the low quality channels and fuss on old programs. But nothing that makes it unwatchable and nothing worse than what I noticed on my old CRT. I just prefered it to paying £250 on a converter and aspect switcher especially with HDTV and no doubt STB's with better connection possibilities around the corner which may render the converter redunant. I also needed a way of connecting my VCR which I didn't want to get rid of and the JS didn't allow for this, and in general I considered the Scart to be the more flexible option. But that is my opinion and I would imagine I'm in the minority with that view!

9. mizzat

mizzat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks to all those who answered so far. I suppose there are so many ways to go about this I am wiser but confused. We'll see what happens at the shop tomorrow.

Steve

10. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Ideally use coponent for DVD and for sky (Sky+ has S-video, not standard sky) use RGB Scart (with panny scart board or JS box) Also run enough cables to screen to allow for future expansion. I suggest a VGA Cable, Scart cable, Component and S-video, even if you dont buy the boards yet you may need them in future!