Punta Cana, Dominican Republic...who's been?

Discussion in 'Travelling & Holidays' started by F-Stop, Feb 28, 2013.

1. F-Stop

F-Stop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    We've booked a two week break to Punta Cana in the Dominican Republic for the end of May. We've been to several Caribbean destinations before but never to this one. With that in mind, could I ask for any info that you might have which we could benefit from in our quest to have an enjoyable and memorable holiday?
    It could be anything to do with holidaying in general on the Island to ideas for trips out to visit hidden gem locations that are easily missed. As I say, we've not been there before so any suggestions will be very gratefully received :smashin:

Many thanks, Andy :D

2. F-Stop

F-Stop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    Anyone :lease:

3. F-Stop

F-Stop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    Nobody's been there that would like to share info then.....that's disappointing :facepalm: :thumbsdow

4. madhibee

madhibee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I was there a few years back and I'd fully recommend Paradise Island. It's basically a sand bank in the middle of the sea. Good for a hit of scuba diving, just make sure you get there early/first, we were the first boat there and may not have had the same impact if we hadn't been so early.

That was about all we did but there are some good safari trips etc also.

5. Bryn1

Bryn1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +153
    Hi F-stop,

Not been there yet myself but would appreciate some feedback on your trip when you get back as me and the family (all over 18) are going to Punta Cana end of June.

Hopw you have a great time :)

6. Delvey

Delvey
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,863
    Been to puerta plata
    Not likely to help however
    Don't forget your entry/entrance fees. Think they are paid in dollars

7. F-Stop

F-Stop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    Ok, so we got back yesterday. We stayed in Punta Cana at the Grand Palladium Bavaro on an all inclusive basis. The weather was very hot and humid the whole time we were there....thank god the air conditioning in our room worked. However, several times we had really heavy downpours at night and a couple of times in the evening too. It was normally all dried up by the morning though. The food was varied, plentiful and of a very good quality...no issues here at all. The only problem in the hotel was hardly any of the staff spoke English. If you have a basic understanding of Spanish you should be ok but it was painful trying to explain or request things at times if you could only speak English. Only did one trip which was to Saona island which was beautiful. Stopped off on the way there for snorkelling and at the 'natural swimming pool' which is a sand bar about half a mile off shore but only waist deep...and where you will find giant starfish. To sum up. Did we enjoy ourselves, yes. Would we go back, no. I'm sorry but Cancun wins hands down for me so it looks like we might be heading back to Mexico for a third time ;)
    Hope this helps, Andy.

8. Delvey

Delvey
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,863
    I felt the same about puerta plata. Most places in the Caribbean are humid and have infrequent downpours.
    One day it rained, I had never seen it so heavy and large, and I live in manchester