Punkbuster issues and rubbish support

Right played tonight and kept on getting kicked.

Got this reply and sent one:

08/05/2012 15:20:55 - "Deadringers/ Josh"
Note #9: Hi still not solved it..nothing has changed in my setup and i am now getting kicked.

This is really not on to be getting kicked from the game after having spent a lot of money on it.

Please let me know what program/driver it is.

I refuse to believe that you don't know what your own program is doing.
08/03/2012 17:31:04 - "Adam D"
Note #8: We've given a list of know programs to cause this issue. As there are countless programs it is impossible to have an exact list. Something on your computer, is using a method similar to the ones listed and is not allowed on PB enabled servers.

Really is very poor that they don't know how their program works or why it is kicking me.

Not impressed at all.

And I got rid of Avast and got MSE and no change..thought not.

Have you done as they said and closed as much as possible to see if you can narrow down the cause?

You'd do it if you had a hardware problom, why not software? There's obviously something with a hook into the game which isn't allowed.

but they couldn't tell me what there is...I have not changed anything or installed anything new.

Their software is kicking me with a reason and a code.

They should be able to tell me what is going on and why.

I shouldn't have to dig around for ages and try closing down every other program my PC is running in an attempt to find what is wrong.

Plus all I ever have open is TS3, IE9 and Origin.

but they couldn't tell me what there is...I have not changed anything or installed anything new.

Their software is kicking me with a reason and a code.

They should be able to tell me what is going on and why.

I shouldn't have to dig around for ages and try closing down every other program my PC is running in an attempt to find what is wrong.

Plus all I ever have open is TS3, IE9 and Origin.

They have told you... it's software similar to what they pointed out that's being detected by PunkBuster as malicious.

You need to check your task manager and see what's running in the background.

Try some of these:

armsvc.exe 1968 AdobeARMservice
svchost.exe 1992 Akamai
CrashPlanService.exe 2012 CrashPlanService
svchost.exe 2104 FDResPub, FontCache, SSDPSRV, upnphost,
wcncsvc
inetinfo.exe 2144 IISADMIN
srvany.exe 2256 KMService
KMService.exe 2284 N/A
LSSrvc.exe 2292 LightScribeService
conhost.exe 2300 N/A
LMIGuardianSvc.exe 2364 LMIGuardianSvc
ramaint.exe 2464 LMIM

Looks like you have uPNP enabled which I've heard some people have issues with.

Personally my next most suspect thing is you have LogMeIn running:

http://www.whatsrunning.net/QueryProcessID.aspx?Process=25140

But I have had all these things running for ages...I have had in the past virtual machines and god knows what else running in the background.

I just can't believe that we cannot find out which program/driver it is.

Why should it be down to the customer to troubleshoot some software that is not theirs? I didn't develop it or work on it.

Why should it be down to me to go looking through all my open processes, close one and then launch the game...play for 30 minutes and see if I get kicked? rinse/repeat.

just not on.

I think it's as someone said earlier, they try to play those cards close to their chest as giving out information about what programs it's watching for makes it easier for people to exploit them.

Pretty frustrating though.

eiren said:
I think it's as someone said earlier, they try to play those cards close to their chest as giving out information about what programs it's watching for makes it easier for people to exploit them.

Pretty frustrating though.

But I don't have any kind of hacking tools installed.. Surely its just going to be something legit and "normal"?

Plus as I have mentioned before a good system should be totally open and transparent with how it achieves its goals/encryption and still retain its effectiveness.

Try disabling LogMeIn or the RemotelyAnyWhere (ramaint.exe) programs and see if it's them.

I'd be surprised if it's logmein as I use that without issue.

But I don't have any kind of hacking tools installed.. Surely its just going to be something legit and "normal"?

Plus as I have mentioned before a good system should be totally open and transparent with how it achieves its goals/encryption and still retain its effectiveness.
Josh, as has already been explained, it's completely different to the example you gave before. Tell me, how do you think such a system can be completely open yet still remain effective?

Of course it can be something legitimate but that's what those creating cheats want to mimic. It's why Afterburner causes problems in CoD4. The way it hooks into the game is done in the same way as cheats have been known to, hence cutting that avenue off.

As people have said PB has a problem with any software that uses system hooks as they can be used for nefarious purposes. Of course they can be used for legitimate reason such as adding an overlay for steam, FPS and temperature monitors in Afterburner or rebinding your keyboard in AHK.

It's quite annoying as I often used AHK to allow me fully rebind the number pad in games which have poor support for it(I'm a leftie!). PB kicks me in BF3 if I forget to close it after playing something else.

KMService could be a culprit as according to a google search it appears to be, in most cases, some sort of system hook to intercept activation data when using a high seas version of Office. I have had a look at the other processes and nothing else seems to stand out.

Josh, as has already been explained, it's completely different to the example you gave before. Tell me, how do you think such a system can be completely open yet still remain effective?

Of course it can be something legitimate but that's what those creating cheats want to mimic. It's why Afterburner causes problems in CoD4. The way it hooks into the game is done in the same way as cheats have been known to, hence cutting that avenue off.

No it's not. It's exactly the same.

And we are talking about people cheating in games here which is not half as important as people needing to secure their banking data online.

If anything it should be the other way around.

And besides the hackers already know what they are looking for and are inventing new programs every day.

I on the other hand just want to play my bloody game and PB are being useless.

As people have said PB has a problem with any software that uses system hooks as they can be used for nefarious purposes. Of course they can be used for legitimate reason such as adding an overlay for steam, FPS and temperature monitors in Afterburner or rebinding your keyboard in AHK.

It's quite annoying as I often used AHK to allow me fully rebind the number pad in games which have poor support for it(I'm a leftie!). PB kicks me in BF3 if I forget to close it after playing something else.

KMService could be a culprit as according to a google search it appears to be, in most cases, some sort of system hook to intercept activation data when using a high seas version of Office. I have had a look at the other processes and nothing else seems to stand out.

wouldn't know anything about that :smashin:

I haven't changed anything recently thought which is the annoying thing :(

I updated my drivers and updated dxtory...

Started getting the issues so I rolled back the drivers and got rid of dxtory and it still happens! :facepalm:

Maybe reinstall the drivers and dxtory and see if it still does it? lol

What I don't get and PB don't answer me; is why does it only kick me after 20 odd minutes?

surely if the program/driver is there its there...so why wait?

It might be giving you Warnings, Is there a way to drop down a console menu in BF3?

Maybe it is giving you warning and you cant see them as this use to happen in Call Of Duty but you can drop down the Console to see them

hmm no idea on that one mate...would it give me warnings within BF3? Thought PB was separate from BF3?

If it runs the same as Call of duty's PB it would give you warnings through the console

When PB use to kick you in COD for issues it would give you 3/4 warnings in the console to do or change something prior to kicking

Ah right...so do I need to type something into the console?
time for a google!

Im not sure bud, it depends on if they allow a console in BF3.. GOOGLE IT UP! :D

ooooo found this:
BF2S Wiki other:console, BF2S.com
Punk Buster Commands

These Punk Buster commands can only be used while playing on a PB enabled server.

PB_GetSs
Captures and saves a screen shot based on the parameters found in the PB_SSOPTIONS setting listed below; described more fully in the Screen Capture Facility section

PB_Kick [slot #]
Requests that a specific player be removed from the game; this command is part of the PB Player Power facility

PB_Load [File Name]
Loads the specified PunkBuster config file which can contain commands and/or setting changes

PB_MyGuid
Displays your PunkBuster GUID; The GUID is used by PunkBuster to identify players and it is based on the CDKey entered into the game

PB_PList
Requests that the connected PunkBuster Server display a list of players and their current status to the console

PB_Power
Requests that the connected PunkBuster Server display a list of players and their current PB Player Power status to the console

PB_SsOptions
Sets and/or displays the parameters used for taking local PunkBuster Screenshots; used by the Screen Capture Facility

PB_Ver
Displays the currently running version of the PunkBuster Client software

PB_WebUpdate
This command adds the PBWEB functionality directly into the PB Client - PBWEB should no longer be required to manually update PB Clients. PunkBuster will automatically issue this command when necessary to auto-update during gameplay before going into distress mode

PB_WriteCfg
Writes the current values of the PunkBuster settings to the local hard drive (creating or overwriting files called pbcl.cfg and pbcllog.cfg) in such a way that they will be loaded automatically the next time PunkBuster starts; if you make changes to your PunkBuster settings and you want the changes to be permanent, then enter this command after making the changes

PB_AutoExec [Filename]
Holds the name of a game script file that is to be executed each time a server is joined; This is useful if you need to reset game settings each time you join a server

PB_Lan [0=no, 1=yes]
Defaults to 0; when set to 1, PB will behave as though it has no Internet access

PB_LogAddr [Address / Internet Hostname]
Holds the address of the machine to which remote logging is sent (default is empty meaning the feature is not used)

PB_LogMD5Tool [0=no, 1=yes]
Setting defaults to 0; setting to 1 will cause PB to log all MD5Tool file check query replies sent to connected PB Servers during gameplay

PB_LogPort [Port #]
Holds the listen port of the machine to which remote logging is sent (default is 0 meaning the feature is not used)

PB_LogPw [Password]
Holds the password required to send logging output to a listening remote logging machine

PB_LogToFile [0=no, 1=yes]
When set to 1, PunkBuster will log activity to the pbcl.log file; the default is 0 which meansonly errors are logged

PB_LogUser [Username]
Holds the username required to send logging output to a listening remote logging machine

PB_MsgPrefix [New Prefix]
Holds the text that PunkBuster displays in front of every output line displayed; the default is “PunkBuster Client”.

PB_Security [0=no, 1=yes]
When set to 0, PunkBuster will accept all “update” files without verifying that they are authentic; the default is 1 which should not normally be changed except for LAN environments where there is no Internet Access and/or you fully trust the Servers you are connecting to

PB_Sleep [Period]
Holds the period of time (milliseconds) that PunkBuster “sleeps” between processing cycles; the default is 60; lower numbers will cause PunkBuster to process events more times each second which also has the effect of increasing the bandwidth used by PunkBuster; Players with a modem connection will probably want to set this as high as possible

PB_SsLog [0=no, 1=yes]
When set to 1 (which is the default), PunkBuster will create an entry in the pbsslog.htm log file every time a PunkBuster Server requests a screenshot to be taken and delivered; this log file is designed to be viewed with a web browser and contains information about the size of the image, when it was taken, and also a digital signature of the image itself

PB_SsSave [0=no, 1=yes]
When set to 1 (0 is the default), PunkBuster will save all Server-requested Screenshots to the local hard drive so that Players can see the actual screenshots that have been delivered to Game Servers that they were connected to; if this setting and the PB_SsLog setting are both set to 1, then the pbsslog.htm log file will automatically have links created for local viewing directly from the log file

PB_System [0=no, 1=yes]
PB can conflict with other software on some systems due to vigorous memory scanning; Changing this setting may reduce or eliminate conflicts if you have problems on your system; this setting can only be changed before connecting to a server by editing the pbsys.cfg file in your PB folder. This file is created the first time you run PB.

I think its Shift + ¬ <-- console Key to make it extend

Give that a shot then you should be able to see what PB is doing

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom