1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Punch-Drunk Issues

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by bunyboy, Aug 28, 2003.

1. bunyboy

bunyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    my copy of punch-drunk love had, what seemed to be, picture glitching at various intervals throughout the film (most notably in chapter 11).. so i got a replacement copy.. which does exactly the same thing..

so.. either:

-they are fine and im going crazy
    or
    -my player cant handle the playback (maybe an RCE or superbit issue?)
    (i have the pioneer 454 multi-region)
    or
    -a batch of these disks have problems and nobody has noticed except me!

are there any other people who have noticed any problems?
    are there any 454/PDL owners who'd check out chapter 11 and see if they have the same glitching effect that i do...
    (i dont think its part of the film coz ive watched a friends vhs copy and that doesnt have the same glitches)

cheers all

2. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,150
    Didn't notice any problems on my region1 version

3. bunyboy

bunyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    this is what's scaring me.. if its not a problem on the disk then whats wrong with my player?
    all other r1/r2/r4 disks are fine.. could i have really got 2 dodgy copies on 2 seperate occassions a month apart? could they both be from the same batch?

did you get yours from cd-wow like me?

4. The Nightfly

The Nightfly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    What do you mean by "picture glitching ". Could it be the glints of light that look like small reflections/rainbows that are a deliberate part of the cinematography of this film ?

Allan

5. bunyboy

bunyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    At first I thought thats what it was.. BUT i then (geek as i am) borrowed a friends VHS copy of the film and the glitches i mention (hard to explain but it almost looks like interference, like specific sections of the picture darken and jump a little) arent there at all..

i figure it cant be interference as it happens at the exact same points each and every time i watch and is even present when i move frame by frame over the offending sections..

i admit i am picky about this stuff and somebody like my mum probably wouldnt notice it but still, to me, its very annoying.. check out chapter 11 and see if you have it.. it starts as Barry is heading out of Lena's apartment building, he stops as he is just about to leave the door (one little glitch as a strip from left to right about a 3rd of the way up the screen) there then follows quite a few similar glitches during the sequence in which Barry tries to get back to her apartment..

i might have to start taking the disk to friends houses to see if the same thing happens, I'd love to get hold of a R2 copy and see if it does the same thing too.. frustrating though as no other disks i own (be they R1 or otherwise) do anything like it and I'd rather not have to go through all this hassle, i just wanna watch the film in peace!

6. The Nightfly

The Nightfly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I checked out chapter 11, especially at the beginning and when Barry is running around the apartment building. All looked clear to me I'm afraid. This was a Region 1 disk (from the two disk special edition) running on a HCPC with TheaterTek software out to a projector via DVI with a 100" image.

I can only suggest you try the disk in a different player or maybe on your PC if it's fitted with a DVD drive.

Allan

7. bunyboy

bunyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    ive got the exact same version as you and shall try on other players..
    cd-wow have been very good and are happy for me to return it.. they gave me the impression they are already aware there could be a problem with a batch of disks they got and are gonna check with there supplier and let me know.. who did you get yours from?

thanks for checkin it out anyway..

8. The Nightfly

The Nightfly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    My DVD purchases are roughly 50% CD-Wow, 50% Play. I've just checked my purchase history and this one came from Play.Com dated 25/06/2003.

Hope you manage to resolve the issue.

Allan