PUMPIN' A 4K SIGNAL INTO THE W1070....

oasisnut

Prominent Member
Reaction score
... will it simply downscale to 1080p...?
if so what frame rate will it be, 60fps?
thinking of getting ps4 ( for when it will output 4k) and hopefully 4k movies on 'Playstation Now'

wont be 4k, but i recon a pure 4k signal, downscaled and out put at 60fps will look awesome!

any thoughts?

you can only feed the PJ a 1080p signal. the HDMI sockets are only 1.4, you need 2.0 for 4k.

apparently not, 1.4hdmi carries the 4k signal.........hdmi 2.0 is just the first hdmi cable with 'certified' approval for 4k........

HDMI :: Manufacturer :: HDMI 1.4 :: 4K Support
The cables are not rated 1.3, 1.4 or 2.0. It is the hardware that is rated this way. Cables are either high speed or not. As Jacko says the 1070 is not rated to accept 4k.

The cables are not rated 1.3, 1.4 or 2.0. It is the hardware that is rated this way. Cables are either high speed or not. As Jacko says the 1070 is not rated to accept 4k.
That is an interesting point Steve - and one worth pointing out to retailers. Cables are most often sold as "1.4" etc.
This thread reminds me of the time (many years ago) when I delivered an unbelievably expensive turntable to a man. This man would only play direct-cut discs. Apparently this produced the only sound he found acceptable. The choice was, therefore, limited.

Regardless of the technology that we are using, it is the content that actually provides the pleasure.

hi , yeh i understand fully that it will not output 4k , but it is interesting that it 'theorectically' could output the 60fps hence making a better image.......and surely would be the 'cleanest' signal possible being downscaled direct from a 4k source?

It's not just that it won't output 4k, because the hardware is not sufficient it can't actually receive it either.

so what will it do with the HDMI signal that is going into it..... simply downgrade to 1080p or just not work at all?

Just not work at all. Not sure if it's the components or software.
blimey........ so if you had a ps4 ( when it is updated to output 4k ) you'd have to manually select display settings to NOT output 4k?

Just like I have to manually change my PS3 to 1080i for my 720p PJ now yes life is tough sometimes ain't it ;)

blimey........ so if you had a ps4 ( when it is updated to output 4k ) you'd have to manually select display settings to NOT output 4k?
Does the disc player in a PS4 handle the new quad-layer discs?
Rumour has it that the PS4 will display photos and vid content (downloaded) at 4K but not will be unable to read discs.

My PJ or the PS3?
The PS3 does 3D it's just not 1.4 HDMI rated.
i mean the ps4 mate...it doesnt do 3d aswell as a whole load of other stuff that the ps3 does, so i wont be purchasing one

Really wow! I didnt know that but then I have had no interest in this round of consoles so I havent even looked what they can and cant do. I bought the PS3 and apart from the blu-ray I have hardly used it maybe the odd singstar but seriously thinking of a karaoke machine so it may be going altogether.

Really wow! I didnt know that but then I have had no interest in this round of consoles so I havent even looked what they can and cant do. I bought the PS3 and apart from the blu-ray I have hardly used it maybe the odd singstar but seriously thinking of a karaoke machine so it may be going altogether.
ah, yer missing out mate, get call of duty ghosts for it, i dont play ANY other games ( not really interested in games ) but that is amazing! just looking at popcorn machines at the mo for my new cinema room :)

You know when you change your settings and get "Does your image display correctly, Will revert back in 15 seconds" it would just go black if selecting 4k,

I also doubt any next gen console will be capable of displaying anything bar the UI in 4K,

I've recently just done a dedicated cinema/games room with a W1070 + Xbox One + AV Surround + 100" screen and oh my god... I can't describe how fantastic games are, I'm good at COD/FPS Games anyway but the field of view it has given me geez! Racing games like Forza I've never felt so immersed,

You wouldn't be disappointed with the PS4 as games are true 1080 or up scaled and even on a 100" screen sitting 2.7m back it's crystal clear for me!

Edit:
Also it will output 60fps no problem, I think the maximum refresh rate is 144hz with triple flash. Feels super smooth!

You know when you change your settings and get "Does your image display correctly, Will revert back in 15 seconds" it would just go black if selecting 4k,

I also doubt any next gen console will be capable of displaying anything bar the UI in 4K,

I've recently just done a dedicated cinema/games room with a W1070 + Xbox One + AV Surround + 100" screen and oh my god... I can't describe how fantastic games are, I'm good at COD/FPS Games anyway but the field of view it has given me geez! Racing games like Forza I've never felt so immersed,

You wouldn't be disappointed with the PS4 as games are true 1080 or up scaled and even on a 100" screen sitting 2.7m back it's crystal clear for me!

Edit:
Also it will output 60fps no problem, I think the maximum refresh rate is 144hz with triple flash. Feels super smooth!
ah, cool......... so ps4 outputs 60fps then........would this be on a bluray disc too? or still at 24fps?
graphics on ps3 cod ghosts on 100" at 2.8" look a bits 'blocky'........bet ps4 is incedible detail/textures.....

It's capable of outputting 60fps yeah

Most blu rays are shot at 24fps that's why there is the "cinema" setting

Call of duty is probably the worst looking game you could purchase, try looking at kills zone shadow fall 1080 60fps or BF4

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom