Pumped Electric Shower

twodoctors

Standard Member
Hi all,

I am after an electric shower for my bathroom. Now I have had bad experience with electric ones in the past with poor flow etc. We have two bathrooms, one with a "power shower" with electronic thermostat etc and pump located in the loft. The boiler is a old fashion one with hot water tank on the first floor. I was told I have a decent size header tank. The house is about 20 years old to give you an idea of what kind of system I have.

The shower in the main bathroom is next to useless. The water is either very hot or very cold, and when the temperature is right the pressure is next to useless. So I have been looking at electric shower with built-in pump. I found out that there are 2 types, ones with cold feed only, and one with hot and cold feed. I am guessing the one with dual feed will be more powerful and use less electricity, but I fear that it would defeat the purpose as it will use up the hot water in the cylinder and so rendering my current shower useless. I also worried that the cold-feed only one may not be much good in terms of power, and whether it would also drain the header tank of its content too quickly and again cause problem that way. Should I be worried?

I have no wiring at the moment so wattage isn't an issue. My consumer unit has no spare slot. Does that mean I need a new consumer unit or can I get an "extension" box to sit next to it?

Thanks.

Adrian

Andy98765

Distinguished Member
You would be far better off with a pumped shower.
1. If you have a full tank of hot water!
2. No need to fit a separate high rated fuse and expensive power cable.
3. Far better flow.
In our house we have a fully pumped central heating system, the old type.
In the morning 4 adults use the fully pumped shower one after the other and we have never run out of hot water. We do have the heating on hot water during the showers so no doubt it is topping the hot water up.
Got one of these which is excellent, it has been installed now for over a year. Mira Magna UV Exposed Digital Shower Pumped - Mira available at Plumbworld it really is worth the extra money over cheap plastic box on the wall versions.
And to vent the room we had this installed http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Ventilation_Index/Aidelle_Icon_Fans_Lv/index.html and never get any steam build up in the room, it is fitted over the shower.

Last edited:

twodoctors

Standard Member
Thanks.

The water tank isn't big. Current experience tells me that my tank will last maybe 20-25 minutes of shower with the current pump. I don't think I can install another pump for the second bathroom as it will probably exacerbate the problem.

I have a feeling I may be better off with just a 10.5kW electric shower using direct cold feed, rather than a 9.5kW using header tank or hot and cold inlet. Any one with experience with 10.5kW (pump free) electric shower?

Adrian

DJT75

Distinguished Member
Is the number of people in the house the reason you need 2 showers active at the same time? If so, why not just get a larger hot water cylinder instead and use one good pumped shower for all.

twodoctors

Standard Member
Thanks.

My wife and I both need to go out at the same time in the morning. The water pressure for hot water in the main bathroom is virtually non-existent. A large hot water cylinder plus a extra pump will probably cost more than an electric shower with built-in pump because those hotwater cylinder aren't exactly cheap.

Adrian

twodoctors

Standard Member
I thought you were going to say shower together! :-D

I may have overestimated how long the water last. I starts to get cold after probably 15-20 minutes. A new bigger cylinder cost upwards of £600 plus installation cost. Plus another water pump. A pumped electric shower is still the way to go I think.

Adrian

blasted

Novice Member
Running two showers at the same time will draw heavily on available mains supply water regardless. Is your mains water inlet enough to cope with either two power showers or one power shower and one electric shower? That is, is the flow of both at the same time greater than that of the flow coming in?

I can’t believe that you are so pushed for time that you both have to shower at the same time.

twodoctors

Standard Member
That's a good point. In which case I should probably go for the header tank option. Normal pump don't run from the header tank do they? I haven't really check where the pump is connected from. We inherited it when we bought the house 6 months ago.

Trust me. We both leave at around 7am. An extra 10 min sleep is always welcomed when we do the mileage that we do to go to work.

Adrian

DJT75

Distinguished Member
Running two showers at the same time will draw heavily on available mains supply water regardless.
Not to mention the drain from the 8 slice toaster, dual teasmaids, 2 hairdryers and double track stairlifts are having off the mains power supply.

Still, if it means they both climbing into their matching 12 litre Dodge Rams at 7am the national grid still has the entire day to recover :);):p

Not to mention the drain from the 8 slice toaster, dual teasmaids, 2 hairdryers and double track stairlifts are having off the mains power supply.

Still, if it means they both climbing into their matching 12 litre Dodge Rams at 7am the national grid still has the entire day to recover :);):p
Should've gone to Specsavers:rolleyes:

Andy98765

Distinguished Member
How long do you shower for?
When I said 4 of us shower in the morning it is about 5 mins each.
Hope you are not on a water meter.

blasted

Novice Member
I think and assuming that you have reasonable cold water pressure (what's it like with the cold tap running at the same time as the power shower?) that you should go with the electric pumped shower and run it a dedicated 45amp circuit (approx), just make sure no one is flushing toilets or the washing machine isn't on at the same time.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom