Pulse, whats your sub's Db levels?

The test piece is all very deep stuff. A sort of repetitively surging, very loud, very deep hum. Strangely the hum doesn't get louder when she opens the door it just sounds clearer.

I find it get decidedly louder as soon as she opens the door, as youd expect?

So the leaderboard looks at the moment:-

ttree--------115db @14ft
suniil--------115db@5ft
nimby--------110db@10ft

one n and two i always gets me suniil

My copy arrived today and I've just given it a few runs with my old REL Q100E just for a lark. My room is 5m x 3.3m with solid walls to all 4 sides and cavity wall insulation to the rear and left walls and a patio door on the left which pretty much uses up all the wall. The room has a thick carpet and the ceiling height is 2.4m.
The white noise test on my Lexicon MC-4 shows the db reading at 80 from my viewing position with the sub level at -4 and the sub at the 2pm position, all speakers are set to 80db which equates to 0 on the Lex for the front speakers. The sub is 2.5m (approx 8 feet) in front of me in line with the front 3 and is connected low level with the upper crossover set to max on the sub and 80hz on the Lex..

I ran the region 2 sd dvd from ch15 1:09 until about 30 seconds after she goes in to the room at -15 after Nimby's warning and it seemed OK but didn't trouble the RasioShack analog meter which I had set at 100 c weighting and fast. There were some good eery sounds filling the room though - quite spooky.

I cranked it up to +5 and it was a laugh with the spooky voices but the bass reading was hard to judge as the needle flapped about a fair bit.
I switched off the power amps to the speakers and maxxed out the Lex which was +12. I set the meter to 110 c and fast the needle stayed mainly around the -10 mark but hit -4, as she opened the door I got a -6 but just before and after I saw -4, very briefly.

I suppose I could turn the sub up or increase the level on the Lex but the amp plate did feel hot and I don't want to risk blowing the thing up although it was cheap and .... :devil:

Well very briefy it hit -4 at 110 c fast so I reckon that's 106 db which according to What's hi fi S&M magazine pound for pound makes it a 5 star champion.
It would have to be given a +20db in a handicap race so I'm claiming first place on the leaderboard. :D
Hang on though I ran the test a few hours ago so it's lost a star :devil:

You all are quite mad! On this side of the pond there have been several reports on avsforum of Pulse frying some very respectable subwoofers. My local high-end shop fried a Vandersteen a few weeks ago on Pulse. Oh well, I guess it's a Brit thing. :)

Can I liken this forum to a nightclub?

The bouncers seem quite intimidating, the members can be a little odd, the entrance fee can be high and yet I always end up standing at the bar looking at whats happening and enjoying myself! Keep it up all :D

Well I got a copy of pulse from Asda to see what all the fuss was about.

I'll gladly prop up the bottom of the table with 104dB at 4.5m from the sub in my normal listening position. This was with just the sub and no other speakers on. Any louder than this and I could hear something rattling, so I didn't push it any further.

Well I got a copy of pulse from Asda to see what all the fuss was about.

I'll gladly prop up the bottom of the table with 104dB at 4.5m from the sub in my normal listening position. This was with just the sub and no other speakers on. Any louder than this and I could hear something rattling, so I didn't push it any further.

What sub was this?

I bought Pulse on HD-DVD (Dolby TrueHD) and forgot to try it out whilst I had the PB13 in residence.

Idiot.:suicide:

Russell

What sub was this?

Sorry, I didn't actually say did I :rolleyes:

For the sake of providing a complete answer, it's a DIY Rythmik Audio DS12 sealed 2 cu ft (56 litre): http://www.btinternet.com/~richard.d.miles/DS12s/DS12s.html

The 104dB I got was the maximum I was prepared to crank it up as beyond this I could hear some distortion that sounded like rattling. Ilkka referred to these 'ticking' or 'crackling' noises in his tests and attributed them to the amp clipping. I may not have heard them with the other speakers on, but I wasn't prepared to go any louder and risk damaging something.

The frequencies in this scene sounded very low as well, at a guess I'd say around 20Hz, which is where the servo starts to reign in the output of the DS12. Shame you aren't doing the test with Darla, 'cos I get a healthy 113dB peak at reference in my sitting position with that one and I can feel my trousers flap ;)

I keep meaning to ask this question and it might be a bit of topic but just recently moved into a house and got it all re plastered, I use a monolith and have started to notice small cracks in walls and some skirting has come away from near my monolith. Can a sub woofer cause this kind of damage? or even worse affect a house structurally? My girlfriend is hassling me saying its the sub, a friend who is a plaster said its normal stuff. What do you guys think?

Plaster shrinkage cracks are very common. Your skirting board was probably warped and sprang when the fixing eventually gave way. I doubt a Monolith has enough low frequency acoustic energy to do serious damage except for things rattling off the walls and falling to the floor. Structural damage is very unlikely. I have seen large shop windows bowing by an inch on a subwoofer demo without breaking. That was only an ASW5675. Some American subwoofer fans have reported plasterboard popping from stud walls due to flexure. Watching solid concrete floors rippling to an 18 x 18" IB sub one might expect serious damage but none has been reported so far.

Right, just given it a whizz and the needle was peeking a shade over 102dB at the listening position, but I'm a touch concerned by the extreme cone movement which is clearly lower than the audible 'pulse'.

I could gain a few dB by turning the EQ off and allowing the rooms considerable 27-35Hz peak to do it's stuff to prop the figures up, but I'd never listen to it like that. It also raises the question, what an in room measurement is worth with so many variables? EQ, no EQ, large room, small room, sitting close, sitting far or especially near to a wall; All can have a huge impact on the measured SPLs.

Knowing that there is no high pass filter on the Monolith, I'm not going to try any louder because although I'm not hearing any real noise from the sub, the room is rattling like the dickens, it's quite loud enough and I don't want to test BK's good will with regards to another blown Monolith driver.:rolleyes:

I take back everything I said about Kristen Bell though.:devil:

Russell

ttree--------115db @14ft
suniil--------115db@5ft
nimby--------110db@10ft

ttree--------115db @14ft :eek::eek::eek:

ttree--------115db @14ft
suniil--------115db@5ft
nimby--------110db@10ft

Don't forget my 112db at 10ft in 10Hz tune :D

I'm now only running the PCU in 15Hz so should have a bit of headroom to push a bit higher :devil:

Just bought brand new Pulse dvd off eBay for 49p! Now just need a sub to play it with... gotta make up my mind soon :rolleyes:

I may as well add my results as I was playing around with this the other day.

15hz tune , 10 feet away , amp volume @ -2db , sub ch level at -14db (1db hot) I registered 105db.

Same as above but with sub ch level at -11db (4db hot) .. I registered 108db.

I know I can get more out of it but tbh that is more than enough for that scene ;)

have any of you guys ever tried (solaris DVD) its got amazing bass check it out :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom