1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pulp Fiction / Jakie Brown Packaging

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Oblivion, Aug 30, 2002.

1. Oblivion

Oblivion
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Just revieved the above special EDS from play this morning and the Packaging is so poor :mad:

Both come in cardboard sleves and fold out disc holders. In the past these cases IMO looked much grander than an Amray case. Eg Fight Club, Se7en, The Simpsons to name a few. But the quality of these two new is dire. Pulp Fiction was all bent and not square, and when I opened Jakie Brown the plastic parts which hold the discs just fell to the floor due to the fact they had come unstuck from the cardboard. Which seems much thinner than the box sets mentioned above.

After waiting so long for these to top SEs I am very disapointed.

Has anyone else found this with these SEs? Or is it just me??

Paul

2. captaineyecatch

captaineyecatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Just got the Pulp Fiction from cdwow - The packaging is really Cheap and nasty, it feels so flimsy and the dvds arent held very well in the case.
    Has anyone watched Pulp - is it fully uncut now??

3. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ian, That thread was about snapper cases ;)

Got PF and JB today and have to agree about the cheap digipaks.

The cardboard is so thin, they may as well be made from paper not cardboard. The worst thing though is the ridiculous tray holders which are made from just a flimsy bit of plastic - reminds me of those clear egg cartons you sometimes get. Should have been proper, tough plastic tray holders, like other digipaks. My plastic trays have not come away from the cardboard yet, but I'm sure they will in a few days time.

My PF has to go back anyway as one of the disks cracked during transit (no surprise really considering the poor packaging). :( At least it's CD-WOW though, so they'll send me another one immediately and let me return this one at my leisure :D

4. Oblivion

Oblivion
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Would it be the second disk by any chance??

I have just closely checked both my copies and the second disks on both titles have huge cracks going from the inside to the outside edge :mad:

I wont blame play because they were posted the same as always and after over a 100 discs from them this is the first I have recieved damaged. So will be calling them later to get a refund, which leads me to the next question.

My copies are Canadian R1 and distributed by aliance ( LOTR ) Is the R1 American version distributed by them aslo? if not who buy and is the packaging any better??

I have only used play for my R1 DVDs and know that their are many other online retailers. So who is the best for American soursed R1 DVDs? Cost and time of delivery are most important.

Paul

5. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, mine was the feature disk (disk 1). Same place as yours by the sound of it. Basically, the centre ring on my disk is cracked and the crack just edges onto the inner disk surface too.

Both of my Jackie Brown disks are fine.

I wouldn't blame Play either mate. Mine were bought from CD-WOW who use far better packaging than Play and I still ended up with one cracked disk. It's the digipaks themselves - they provide absolutely no support for the disks.

6. denonman

denonman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Want my advice? get the US versions (movietyme) not the canadian version (play, futureent, cdwow) as there IS a definite difference in quality. The US version is much heavier due to the fact they used proper card & heavier plastic on their cases, they are thicker too, plus the US PULP has the menu inside the alliance atlantic set does not.Corner cutting me thinks ...:mad: :mad:

7. denonman

denonman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OH and PS the canadian cases and discs have bloody frenchie all over them. :mad: why are the french always so angry? Their fishermen are angry, their lorry drivers are angry, their french traffic control are angry. WHY COULD'NT THEY BE THIS BLOODY ANGRY 60 YEARS AGO WHEN IT COULD HAVE DONE A BIT OF GOOD?

8. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Sorry, I quoted the wrong thread. I have deleted the reference to save me looking for it but the thread developed into a discussion between those pro and anti these types of case.

I can only recall that Lex liked them. My Pulp Fiction (complete with French Writing) arrived yesterday and I must admit I quite liked the packaging.

9. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I don't know what history book you have been reading but I think that you'll find they were a bit cross.

10. denonman

denonman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeah but what did they do about it apart from bend over & asy bieunividue hitler

11. GearHead

GearHead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The region 1 (Canadian) packaging for these disks is poor I agree.

However, being realistic 99.999% of the time they are just going to be sandwiched amongst the rest of your collection and the only time they will get handled before they are replaced by the next latest and greatest format is the five or six times you get them out to play them.

12. Ron240

Ron240

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +444
    I got mine yesterday morning from Play. Im not impressed with the packaging or French writing all over it. I would rate the pakaging the same as Speed and Predator.I wish they would stick to Amaray cases.
    I looked specifically for the only scene that i knew was cut in the UK release,the blood in the syringe,and yes it is there.

13. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :kisses: ;)
    I love the French and all their writing. It adds an extra touch of class to the covers I think. :D

Yeah I like the packaging per se, with the nice artwork, foldout nature, etc; just a little disappointed with the flimsy nature of it. Tucked in among the other DVDs on my shelf (in alphanumerical order of course :D), it'll get a little crushed too. I shall have to take extra care with it. Naturally though, I wouldn't dream of paying extra money for the US version, just to get better packaging.

CD-WOW shipped me a replacement yesterday so I hope my new "Fiction Pulpeuse" arrives undamaged this time :D

14. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got my replacement Pulp Fiction from CD-WOW this morning and both disks have arrived safely this time [​IMG] The trays on this one seem to be glued down better too :)

15. BIONIC MAN

BIONIC MAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    I also got my Pulp & Jackie from CD-WOW and I have to agree
    that the Cases are S***T ,
    There is one Thing with Jackie Brown on the back of case is states the Picture is 2.35 when when I tryed it looked more like
    1.85 ? ? is the wording wrong ? ?

Anyone had some problem ,

One last thing is the Usa disc's the same as Canada apart from
    the cases ,

:D

16. -Spike-

-Spike-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    No it's not just you, got my Jackie Brown from Future Ent-says 2.35 on the case but looks more like 1.78 on my pj.

Received this and Pulp Fiction on Saturday with all discs loose inside. No scratches luckily

Regards

17. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Appalling packaging .

I'm not sure if digipack is a trade name or genre, but I don't think I'd call it a digipack anyway - a cheap, tacky, poorly made digipack rip-off maybe, but not a digipack.

The disc 'holding' system is a joke (both discs loose on arrival - no scratches though), and the gloss finish of the card is very cheap looking.

On inspection the logos suggest to me that this is an Alliance Atlantis Communications 'exclusive'. No need to worry about proper digipacks from other studios using this design I'd say.

I just hope Alliance don't have the rights to many more tv shows and movies that I'd like to own.

18. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jackie Brown was filmed in 1.85:1 and Pulp Fiction was filmed in 2.35:1, so that's what they should be on the disks (I haven't played mine yet).

19. RichMercer

RichMercer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got the original no thrills Region 2 release of Pulp which I bought two years ago or so. That has the blood in the syringe:confused: You sure it was cut?

20. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes - even the R1 was cut.

http://www.dvdcompare.org.uk/comparisons/film_results_page.php?fid=366

Most (all?) non-UK R2s were uncensored though.

21. videonastie

videonastie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is this the US Region 1 version with the pic of Uma Thurman peeking through the leather looking case?

What is the Region 2 packaging like?