Pulp Fiction 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

Picked this up yesterday and viewd ladt night, excellent transfer not quite 10/10 but very close.

My copy visually broke up in the part where Butch goes back on the bike to pick up his girlfriend from the motel, has anbody else had the same issue? For content non of my other 4K disc's have such a fault and i've around 40.
No break up on mine.

Picked this up yesterday and viewd ladt night, excellent transfer not quite 10/10 but very close.

My copy visually broke up in the part where Butch goes back on the bike to pick up his girlfriend from the motel, has anbody else had the same issue? For content non of my other 4K disc's have such a fault and i've around 40.
I've got the infamous Sony UBP-X700 which is a fine player apart from it freezes when the disc is a BD100 triple layer UHD and the films transfers to the third layer.

So mine froze at exactly the same moment when Butch arrives on Zed's Chopper to his girlfriend. So that might explain the moment as to why your picture broke up there, but why it broke up I can't answer.

I've got the infamous Sony UBP-X700 which is a fine player apart from it freezes when the disc is a BD100 triple layer UHD and the films transfers to the third layer.

So mine froze at exactly the same moment when Butch arrives on Zed's Chopper to his girlfriend. So that might explain the moment as to why your picture broke up there, but why it broke up I can't answer.
Played mine on the Pana 450 and it was flawless. Ill try it on my X800 next time if I remember.

Played mine on the Pana 450 and it was flawless. Ill try it on my X800 next time if I remember.
Would be good to know if it does the same on your x800.

Do you fined the Pana 450 to be a better player than the x800, i'm thinking for the DV decoding?

Would be good to know if it does the same on your x800.

Do you fined the Pana 450 to be a better player than the x800, i'm thinking for the DV decoding?
I've got the older X800 - multiregion - so it doesn't do HDR10+ or Dolby Vision. So I tend to use the 450 for the HDR10+ and Dolby Vision discs and use the X800 for HDR10 discs, Blu-rays and DVDs.

The only disc that threw my 450 was Spartacus - I had to play that on the X800 as the Dolby Vision just went all wrong on the 450. No-one else seems to have had this problem as far as I can tell but another Spartacus disc did exactly the same thing.

I've got the older X800 - multiregion - so it doesn't do HDR10+ or Dolby Vision. So I tend to use the 450 for the HDR10+ and Dolby Vision discs and use the X800 for HDR10 discs, Blu-rays and DVDs.

The only disc that threw my 450 was Spartacus - I had to play that on the X800 as the Dolby Vision just went all wrong on the 450. No-one else seems to have had this problem as far as I can tell but another Spartacus disc did exactly the same thing.
I have the older x800 and hence my question of the 450, as the next player up the panny 820 is quite a serious layout. Have you been in a position to compare the 450 and 820 and if so what is your observation in pictiure and sound quality. Back when i bought the x800, i had purchased a panny initally but found the sound thin to my previous Sony bluray player.

I have the older x800 and hence my question of the 450, as the next player up the panny 820 is quite a serious layout. Have you been in a position to compare the 450 and 820 and if so what is your observation in pictiure and sound quality. Back when i bought the x800, i had purchased a panny initally but found the sound thin to my previous Sony bluray player.
Hmmm hard to say. Different price tags. The X800 is like a tank compared to the small and lightweight 450. There is a little noise when the 450 is playing (not much) compared to the near silent X800. The remote that comes with the 450 is garbage but you can get a decent Pana remote new on fleabay easy enough. Dolby Vision definitely makes a difference on certain 4K discs over the normal HDR10 thanks to encoding of those discs - Studio Canal discs are a case in point.

Hmmm hard to say. Different price tags. The X800 is like a tank compared to the small and lightweight 450. There is a little noise when the 450 is playing (not much) compared to the near silent X800. The remote that comes with the 450 is garbage but you can get a decent Pana remote new on fleabay easy enough. Dolby Vision definitely makes a difference on certain 4K discs over the normal HDR10 thanks to encoding of those discs - Studio Canal discs are a case in point.
Thanks for that.

Would you say for just the DV and HDR10+ that it's worth buying the panny 820 or the 450 mis sufficent as with your set up. Is the sound from the 450 on a pare with the x800

Thanks for that.

Would you say for just the DV and HDR10+ that it's worth buying the panny 820 or the 450 mis sufficent as with your set up. Is the sound from the 450 on a pare with the x800
The sound appears to be the same going through the same amp.

As for 450 or 820...I went with the 450 to save on space. From what I understand, the 820's better chip isnt of any advantage with a newish Panasonic OLED but could be of help with an older TV. Best to ask in the appropriate thread really as we are OT here!

@Jim Di Griz e & @FutureShark
Decided to play it on the first gen x800 again and happy to say it worked a treat no freezing or picture break up, so i'm now puzzled as to why the glitch happened in the first place.

Last edited:
It played fine on my Oppo 203 last night. I had been concerned that my copy would be scratched as it was loose in the case when I opened it but I can't see any obvious damage. I was aware that there was something loose inside when we bought it but every single copy HMV had was the same. I'd hoped there was an insert card of some description inside. All those copies must have a loose disc.

Bri

Finally picked this up in hmv with Collateral on two for £30 so looking forward to watching very soon.

Funny you should say that, I didn't like Jackie Brown much at the time it came out (perhaps overhyped?), but I've never given it another chance. Maybe it's time.
Jackie Brown is my favorite Tarantino film. It has some characters that you actually care about. They're not "throw-away".

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom