1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pulling it all together...

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Fallguy, Dec 1, 2003.

1. Fallguy

Fallguy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here goes, about to purchase a TOSH 32ZP38 + TOSH 330E + Sky +. I have no idea about cables apart from QED and IXOS seem to by pretty good makes. Can anyone advise on the way to go to pull the whole lot together?

2. Bradford Blade

Bradford Blade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +724
    Hi Fallguy,

Yeah, I'd advise using QED cabling (mine is 100% QED throughout my entire system), but Ixos are usually a bit cheaper.

I'd buy some good Component cables [QED's around £100:eek: ]for hooking up the DVD player with a decent co-axial Digital cable [QED's about £40/50] for the players audio into the TV. Then get a fully wired Scart [QED's Squart goes for £40/50] for your Sky box. I know it sounds expensive but a good set of these cables will give you the very best out of your investment and they'll probably last you a lifetime.

HTH mate,

All the best,

LAGAVULIN

3. RedBull

RedBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I've gone for Ixos - simply because I've always used them in the past and thought I'd continue with my HC setup.

They are slightly cheaper - Especially judging by the component price that Lagavulin gave - I paid £55 for my Ixos components. I used Toslink IXOS digital interconnects, and that was around £45.

Hope that helps!

4. Fallguy

Fallguy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys for the posts, I am thinking of the following combination:

Component video.....IXOS XHV 704
    Digital co-ax..............QED Qunex P75
    Digital Optical............QED Qunex OT
    Scart.........................IXOS XHT 611

I suppose the question really is would paying alot more for one or more of the above give a SIGNIFICANT improvement? Welcome your thoughts

5. Bradford Blade

Bradford Blade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +724
    Hi again Fallguy,

Not a bad combo at all - IMHO:)

Well, I'm all for investing (and that's what it is - an investment for the future) some good cash in good cables, but you've gotta be sensible. For instance, your telly [the ZP38] is a FANTASTIC piece of kit (although I had to return mine:( ), but the DVD player, although good, is a far cry from 'high-end'. So the Component and Scart is quite a good choice from the players POV, but if you upgraded in the future to a better player (e.g. around £600-900), then it might be worth your while in getting some better stuff. But for now, I reckon your above combo will be fine:smashin:

Hope all goes well - and enjoy!

Best wishes,

LAGAVULIN

6. Fallguy

Fallguy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Lagavulin,
    Many thanks for your advice...appreciated! Taking delivery on Mon so I will be very interested to see if any of the problems experienced by other members of this forum show on my system. Fingers crossed:p

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    I wouldnt spend that much on cables for that set up!!!
    Profigold or Thor would be fine cant remeber model No of the top of my head but if you want good cheap cables for YUV and Digital audio the see Mark Grant in power buys forum, Custom cables (now thats POSH):D
    Gold plated RGB scart for Sky+ andan optical cable.

8. Bradford Blade

Bradford Blade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +724
    :smashin: You're more than welcome mate.

I hope not, and I wouldn't worry too much;) ...the ZP38 is a mighty fine telly when behaving itself. I only experienced probs when playing back DVD's in Prog. Scan (pure prog. straight out of the DVD player I mean), so since you don't have a prog. scan DVD player - yet - all should be well:)

Happy viewing Fallguy and let us know how things go,

Regards,

LAGAVULIN