Pull the trigger on 43" X800H or LG 48" better, but more expensive?

Woods Man

Novice Member
Reaction score
I need some advice on the Sony 43" X800H vs. the more expensive but much more highly rated LG 48" OLED48CXPUB. I am replacing an older LG in a limited space, going for 4K. I have a 55" Sony 4K in another room, and that has made the older LG look a bit lo res to me now. The Sony is currently on sale at BestBuy. Will I be satisfied with it, or should I go for the extra grand for the LG. The LG gets raves. My wife thinks I will be dissatisfied with the Sony. Space is limited, but we might be able to make the larger LG work. Also, only display model is a long way from here, and she thinks I should try to compare them (Covid restrictions may make that difficult).

Any advice.

The LG is far better, almost incomparable. The Sony has poor contrast and no local dimming (thus grey/washed out blacks and blooming) while the LG has infinite contrast and perfect inky blacks due to the OLED technology, it has amazing picture quality.

Basically the Sony X800H is okay at best while the LG CX will often blow you away

Last edited:
Thank you. My wife who at first was reluctant because of the space we are fitting it into, now says she is sure I would be unhappy with the Sony. I have done the research, so I think I will pull the trigger on the LG. Now have to figure out the best full swivel mount to work with it, etc.

Are you keeping your existing unit and putting a stand on top of it, or are you looking for a full replacement?

Turns out the Sony in another room is a 950G, so I think if I had gotten the 800H I would have been unhappy with the comparison. The LG is ordered. I don't know what we will do with our old 37" LG LED. This is a full replacement for this space, that is, only room for one TV there... wall mounted. Will make it work, even if it hangs over into some space beyond the wall by a couple of inches (it is an area w/o traffic, and I am putting a kind of protective moulding on the wall edge so the tv is protected on the back side... it's complicated.. but will give me some comfort considering the expense of the tv).

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom