Pull the trigger on 43" X800H or LG 48" better, but more expensive?

Woods Man

Novice Member
Reaction score
I need some advice on the Sony 43" X800H vs. the more expensive but much more highly rated LG 48" OLED48CXPUB. I am replacing an older LG in a limited space, going for 4K. I have a 55" Sony 4K in another room, and that has made the older LG look a bit lo res to me now. The Sony is currently on sale at BestBuy. Will I be satisfied with it, or should I go for the extra grand for the LG. The LG gets raves. My wife thinks I will be dissatisfied with the Sony. Space is limited, but we might be able to make the larger LG work. Also, only display model is a long way from here, and she thinks I should try to compare them (Covid restrictions may make that difficult).

Any advice.

I need some advice on the Sony 43" X800H vs. the more expensive but much more highly rated LG 48" OLED48CXPUB. I am replacing an older LG in a limited space, going for 4K. I have a 55" Sony 4K in another room, and that has made the older LG look a bit lo res to me now. The Sony is currently on sale at BestBuy. Will I be satisfied with it, or should I go for the extra grand for the LG. The LG gets raves. My wife thinks I will be dissatisfied with the Sony. Space is limited, but we might be able to make the larger LG work. Also, only display model is a long way from here, and she thinks I should try to compare them (Covid restrictions may make that difficult).

Any advice.
The X800H (XH80) is quite a step down in Sony's lineup so the OLED will be the superior set.
However if you have the space & want the extra brightness of HDR on an LED set, or if you're concerned about screen burn on the OLED go for the 49" Sony X950H. (XH95)
The X950H is the top LED in Sony's 2020 range & is far superior to the X800H.

Thanks, Don. I did order the LG. Awaiting it's arrival. I didn't realize that the 55" set in another room is actually the Sony X950G (I guess the earlier edition of the 950H). I got it, because OLED's were fairly new to the market at that time ( I think), and i was concerned about burn in. I think if I had gotten the X800H now, I probably would have been disappointed comparing it to the 950G in the the other room. I am less concerned with burn in now, as I don't do any gaming, or pretty much anything where there is a still image (except perhaps internet radio through the AVR, but I can keep the TV off for that... we usually do). I assume if I use net radio through the TV itself, there is a "screen saver", as there is on the Sony X950G. Anyway, thanks for your advice. Making the wall mount work (ordered a new one) will be a bit tricky in this 200 year old timber frame house, but I've don't it before... so hoping that all goes smoothly.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom