Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Pug 306 Amp Wiring

Discussion in 'ICE, Sat Navs & Dash Cams Forum' started by magrillz, Oct 10, 2005.

1. magrillz

magrillz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi,

Just wondered if anyone could help me with some advice on wiring up an amp into a 306 Diesel.

I have recently fitted my Stereo and speakers in (front doors vibrate quite badly, has anyone had success with sound proofing) and would like to fit an Infinity Basslink I have. I know where all the cables need to be plugged into and roughly where to run them but I am undure of things like

1) Getting the amp power cable through the bulk head of the car

2) Do i need to lift up the carpet or just tuck it underneath plastic trim etc. On a golf I had i watched as the fitter tucked them quite easliy away but don't think there is room on the 306

Any help would be great thanks.

Mat :smashin:

2. RockySpieler

RockySpieler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    The existing wiring through doors is unreliable, has a habit of insulation cracking. This messes up central locking, e/windows and speakers. You are better off running in new speaker cables for doors.

Speaker vibration could be magnets or speaker wiring block hitting metal door surround. I had to drill new holes and rotate speaker slightly.

I just drilled a hole through bulkhead into passenger footwell for Amp leads, used silicone to seal.

I took out seats to fit cables (power + autochanger), they go up the middle of car.

It is a lot of work, I would not do it on a Pug again, as they rattle so much that the sound quality cannot be appreciated.

P - Reg 306 Tdiesel decat/flow exhaust/K&N v.noisey

3. magrillz

magrillz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    hi mate,

Already had fun with the connectors. My front left speaker was not working. When a friend of mine (good with electrics) took a look wires starting coming away like anything. Luckily I bunged him a tenner and he soldered them back on for me.

I did ask him about the amp kit and he said he would help out but started talking about connected the amp pwer up to the fuse board. I questioned this and he said it was fine but I have heard stories of wiring looms melting so don't fancy taking the risk.

Do you think i could run the cables down the side or has it definately got to be the middle.

I'll take a look at the speakers in the doors. Sounds about right because only the left one is vibrating badly. maybe I just need to re-position it.

Thanks for you advice mate.

PS - Are you saying it's not worth bothering fitting the sub because the car will ratle loads. It was fine in my Mk4 golf but that was a new car. this in an L reg so probably not quite as tight as it was.

4. RockySpieler

RockySpieler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    I have positive lead from battery through additional large plastic fuse box, fozGate I think. I used local earthing, but if I were running cables again I would run a direct earth.

Do not forget remote amp switch from head unit.

The "rattles" are mainly from the dashboard, and B-Pillar area, the sub would drown this out, I don't go for really loud, this is a Hi-Fi Forum.......... :D

Good luck.

5. madcyril

madcyril

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Always take your feed for your amp from the battery,you can drill through the pass bulkhead easily.Keep your earth as short as possible and I advise you use the same earth point for your stereo(run a new earth when you run your amp switch).
    And remember to keep your RCA's away from any power cables.

6. magrillz

magrillz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Ok, thanks for the advice guys :smashin: