Public Enemies UK or US disc?

adriancal

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Given that Public Enemies is out here in the UK before the USA
I thought I would start this thread to see if anyone knows of any
differences in the two releases?.

Not that I intend to buy either, but is the UK version confirmed to have the extended cut, or is it a Miami Vice type situation again,(Dir's cut released in US only)?

Hope not got UK one on pre order :(

I have.

:(

I think I'm going to keep it on order too as £14.74 is a lot more bearable for a blind buy than the £19.99 they want for the US version.

It was released in IRL last night.
Usual Mann style, Shakey scenes.
There seems to be an issue with the DTS-HD soundtrack on this release.
In some instances the voices are almost silent and muffled and then they can get extremely loud all of sudden even though the voices are at the same expression (volume wise).
I'm not sure if this was implemented by Mann or if it is an issue with the encode.
The shooting scenes are immense though.soundwise.
Sounds of the tommygun and others are amazing.
PQ is fantastic, very fine grain as usual, and very noir colour scheme.
Great movie, glad i waited to see it on Blu.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
UK version is 140 minutes.

In some instances the voices are almost silent and muffled and then they can get extremely loud all of sudden even though the voices are at the same expression (volume wise).
I'm not sure if this was implemented by Mann or if it is an issue with the encode.

That's exactly how it was at the cinema and so the disk is accurate. I've no idea why it was done this way though, it sounded awful to be honest.

I imagine that there's going to be a huge amount of complaining about this disk and its soundtrack though.

Anybody have the specs on the UK blu-ray release (sound and subtitle)? Thanks:)

Given that Public Enemies is out here in the UK before the USA
I thought I would start this thread to see if anyone knows of any
differences in the two releases?.

I usually check the U.S. website dvd empire dot com as they usually have front and back cover art for the Region 'A' blu-rays so you can get some of the info for the U.S. release there...actually just checked the website and no back cover art for Pub Enemies :-(
U.S. version does come with a free coaster tho! (Digital Copy)

Last edited:
It was released in IRL last night.
Usual Mann style, Shakey scenes.
The shooting scenes are immense though.soundwise.
Sounds of the tommygun and others are amazing.
PQ is fantastic, very fine grain as usual, and very noir colour scheme.
Great movie, glad i waited to see it on Blu.:thumbsup:

Got the disc too on Friday (IRL)...looks great- haven't checked out the audio closely yet tho....amazing the amount of screwed up Blu-rays being released...what amazes me is the hype about BD Live and bloody 3-D and it seems like they cannot even get the basics right on standard Blu-ray. Can't wait for Heat next week...hope its not f****d up.

Last edited:
That's exactly how it was at the cinema and so the disk is accurate. I've no idea why it was done this way though, it sounded awful to be honest.

I imagine that there's going to be a huge amount of complaining about this disk and its soundtrack though.

I agree with you, i thought it sounded awful.
Apart from the fact that i really enjoyed the movie, i would have been peed off.
I was hopping to and from -28db to -15db, with the latter causing extremely loud sections with the shooting:eek:, then to mufffled low voices on -28db.:(
What was Mann thinking with the soundtrack.
To really enjoy it you have to have it louder than i would other Blu's, but then it ends up in sections, causing distress for the neighbours.

Got the disc too on Friday (IRL)...looks great- haven't checked out the audio closely yet tho....amazing the amount of screwed up Blu-rays being released...what amazes me is the hype about BD Live and bloody 3-D and it seems like they cannot even get the basics right on standard Blu-ray. Can't wait for Heat next week...hope its not f****d up.

I can see the sound issue causing a lot of people to be upset at having to constantly change volume.
Especially on high end amp/speakers.
Noticed a small bit of EE on this release too.

No such issue with Heat though mate, if the reports so far are to be believed.

Last edited:
I agree with you, i thought it sounded awful.
Apart from the fact that i really enjoyed the movie, i would have been peed off.
I was hopping to and from -28db to -15db, with the latter causing extremely loud sections with the shooting:eek:, then to mufffled low voices on -28db.:(
What was Mann thinking with the soundtrack.
To really enjoy it you have to have it louder than i would other Blu's, but then it ends up in sections, causing distress for the neighbours.

:rotfl: sorry but I had to smile at that.

I found this whole film a mess to be honest, not just the soundtrack.

Think I'll be giving this a miss then until its in the bargain bucket sometime next year @ around £6.99

It's not a problem with the disk (or at least there's no reason to believe it is from Trey4Life's description - I've not got the disk yet), it sounds like it just replicates the theatrical mix which was pretty dreadful.

I found this whole film a mess to be honest, not just the soundtrack.

I have to agree. Very disappointing as I had high hopes having seen the trailer a number of times in the cinema this summer. I turned up the volume at one point to hear a bit of muffled audio. This was fairly closely followed by a gun fight...I nearly sh:censored:t myself!:D. I even had to turn on subtitles to hear some dialog.

Great trailor, poor movie:thumbsdow

It's not a problem with the disk (or at least there's no reason to believe it is from Trey4Life's description - I've not got the disk yet), it sounds like it just replicates the theatrical mix which was pretty dreadful.
I'd no problem with any of the dialogue in the cinema, nor the overall soundmix.
It was the lapse into almost camcorder-esque footage during the shootouts that bothered me. That and the CGI blood used during a key moment towards the end...

Last edited:
I'd no problem with any of the dialogue in the cinema, nor the overall soundmix.
It was the lapse into almost camcorder-esque footage during the shootouts that bothered me.

That's the very reason I find this an exciting disc to get. Mann is clearly trying out different film stock to see if it gives his action sequences a more dramatic edge to them. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. When he tried a similar style in "Miami Vice" it looked ugly and messy; and when he used it in "Ali", particularly at the very beginning with Will Smith running through the city streets at night, it had an eerie beauty.

Great film, unless you would rather watch big robots beat each other up then i could see how you might think this is a bit slow. Nobody does this genre of film better(crime thriller) than Mann, solid 4 stars easily, picking up the Blu first thing tomorrow. :smashin:

I don't think it is anything to do with the disc after listening again.
It may not have been that apparent in the theatres with such high volume anyway.
But on DTS-HD on a good setup, it's really in your face and noticeable.
Pity, i appreciate some of the other niggles people have with it, shakey scenes & CGI blood etc, still it didn't ruin the movie for me, and i can appreciate any style, no matter how weird and damaging, that Mann tries out.
However he should stay away from the audio side or never use that sound team again.:mad:

Sound was excellent by the way (cineworld middlesbrough), could hear everyword spoken and gun battles sounded immense.
Its all down to low end set ups in most cases why the sound is a problem with certain individuals.

Great film, unless you would rather watch big robots beat each other up then i could see how you might think this is a bit slow. Nobody does this genre of film better(crime thriller) than Mann, solid 4 stars easily, picking up the Blu first thing tomorrow. :smashin:

Agreed.
Very noir-esque style.

Think i'll wait until its on TV so I can give it a view. Watched Miami Vice and it hurt my head after about 20 minutes, haven't bothered to watch it again since.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom