public demos of Sky HD?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by richard plumb, Oct 4, 2005.

1. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,028
    I understand that the Stuff show may have a Sky HD demo. I think I'm going to pop along. are there any other shows planned in the near future with Sky HD demos?

And anyone know if they'll be 'proper' - ie. broadcasts, or just running a PC like they do in comet?

2. gim

gim
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    is was bbc hd from ibc 2005 on holland

next will be sky use mp 4

3. Engineer01

Engineer01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The BBC demo at IBC was very interesting and showed what will be entering the "high def" screens in the future. It showed a screen displaying a high def output, and another screen next to it showing the same image in ever increasing rates of compression.

Yes, as you can imagine, by the time it reached the proposed compression rate the image was not impressive at all. It would also have been interesing to have seen an old PAL uncompressed image, which I am 100% possitive would have beaten the compressed image hands down.

If you want true high def from sky, then I suggest you go to Osterly and poke a cable in through the window, get what you are paying for! (they wont mind...)

4. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    So what kind of bit/compression rates are Sky proposing for HD?

StooMonster

5. Engineer01

Engineer01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MPEG 4 but at what bandwidth, who knows. Which is obviously the point. And why not apply MPEG4 to the SD format now? I will tell you why... because the SD pictures will look better, and that would render the HD format useless until REAL money was spent.

Sky have a deal with Astra for three more transponders for the HD service. (28.2E). The number of channels on these transponders will affect what you see, transponders on astra currently have around 6-8 channels each. Channel four has its own. So the quality is far from decided upon, yet they have people scrabbling to sign up, it beats me!

DVD's will look good though...

PS please note "cable in through the window" comment in earllier post, HD video signals travel a maximum of 70ish meters over HD cable, so youd better get some expensive cable and get quite close...

6. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

It would cost SKY around £2 Billion to replace all the current digiboxes with ones capable of mpeg4 decoding and that is why there will be no SD using mpeg4 for the forseeable future:)

Using mpeg4 is no guarantee of an improved picture since virtually all broadcasters use the bare minimum bitrate for their current mpeg2 broadcasts and therefore they would do the same if they used mpeg4.
    It's not a question of not having enough bandwidth it's the question of how much they can save by not having to buy the bandwidth in the first place:(
    The current mpeg2 codec is more than capable of producing very high standard SD broadcasts but few channels really make good use of it.

I have no worries about the upcoming picture quality of SKY's HD channels, there is simply too much at stake both financial and reputation wise for them not to get the system spot on from the word go.
    After all SKY's premium content is already at the higher end of the mpeg2 average although only Prem+ really stands out perhaps thanks to being less at the mercy of stat muxing.