1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PTAE_100 Power Supply problem

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Stereo Steve, Mar 1, 2004.

1. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I've just bought a second hand PTAE100 off the forums and am concerned about the PSU problem this PJ is reported to have. What is the nauture of this problem and how likely is it to effect mine?

Also, is it fixable, and if so is it a permanent fix and what does it cost?

2. chic

chic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +871
    what happens is when you switch the unit on it goes pop and it wont switch on(the fault had something to do with faulty capacitors used in the units power supply), i think the repair will cost roughly £50, make sure you connect the pj to a surge protector to protect the unit from power spikes though, i ran my a100 for nearly 2years(3200hrs) and never had any problems

3. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    THanks,

SO, this repair, does it replace the faulty ones with better components so it won't happen again? If I am faced with a maybe one off £50 then that's fine but if it's going to happen every few months then.....

4. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,005
    It would be wise to do a search on items before buying in future;)

I wouldn't worry about it too much, many people have run these for 000s of hours with no problems.

5. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I did do a search and came up with a PSU problem but did not find that answer to my specific question as to whether the fix that Panasonic did was permanent or just replacement with the same dodgy bits. As for buying in haste, there was a queue of disgruntled cusotmers after me and I have missed several before. SO I just bought it.:suicide:

6. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,005
    Don't I just know that feeling:D

7. gingercat

gingercat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    There's no guaranteeing that it won't go pop twice - mine did unfortunately, but the second new PSU has been fine ever since. I would expect that if you got a £50 fix (they completely replace the PSU) that you would get a 1 year warranty for the new PSU. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable in consumer rights will be able to confirm/rubbish this.

8. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    This topic has been covered in one form or other in numerous past threads.

There was a problem with the AE100 developing this fault. However, Panasonic never admitted to the fact there was ever a PSU problem with this unit or did a product recall.

If it makes you feel more at ease, you are better off with a unit that has had the PSU replaced. The failure rate of the replacements are hardly ever reported. However, as with any PSU in most electrical products it is susceptible to failure. This is not a major repair in any case.

Not worth the worry, just enjoy your bargain.

9. Andy.T

Andy.T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    A bargain indeed, if only I knew what pj I was gonna buy to replace it hehe. ;)

If it reassures you, it's never had any problem, the PSU problem seemed more prevalent in earlier batches of the AE100. I think a lot of the ones that went pop were made around March/April 2002, later ones (like mine) seemed less prone to the problem (as a rule). Also, without wanting to tempt fate (touching MDF as I type) at 1300 hours + and used for the long periods that mine often was, I would've thought it's out of those particular woods.

Forget about the PSU and get your demo DVD's ready. :)