ptae100e

J

jayk

how good is the projector using progressive scan when using a high end dvd player!

Its pretty good, I have mine connected by a Toshiba SD-510, but a HTPC will give you a much better image.

Originally posted by Timh
Its pretty good, I have mine connected by a Toshiba SD-510, but a HTPC will give you a much better image. [/QUOTE

hi timh i cancelled the sony 900 and i am going to by the new denon 3800 this should give me a good picture.but why would the htpc give me a better picture

I have just switched from a good non-PS dvd player to my htpc, which is of cource Prog Scan. The difference is awesome. Picture more "real", pans are smooth, detail is higher. No ghosting round text.

i think i will see how the denon does as i am sure it will certainly be nice to use a pj instead of the 40" rear projector tv to watch movies.

Jay

I also have a rear projection tv, I dont use it anymore, say no more.
The reason a HCPC is better than a dvd player is, the scaler in the AE100 is not very good, you see some video processing going on, even in progressive scan through the componant input, but when you switch to a HCPC you are using the VGA input, this uses the scaler in the PC which is much better than in the AE100.
If you set a PC up with powerstrip, you can set the output of your PC to match the LCD panel in the AE100, this then gives you the best image available from the AE100, to get this, the priojector must show Wide480 in the menu, you can only get this from a computer when using powerstrip ( or possible with an Iscan) but thats another story.
HCPC with powerstrip = no scaling by the projector :)

hi timh

as a starting point will i notice alot of faults with the pj with progressive scan from the dvd player or will it be gradually over time before i start to notice faults with the picture or will i be thrilled with the big screen experience!!!!!!!!

also with your comments about power strip and using a a pc i iam not very clued up on it i will have to find out some info were is the best way to get some info. cheers jay

Hi Jay

First off, please call me Tim :)
as a starting point will i notice alot of faults with the pj with progressive scan from the dvd player or will it be gradually over time before i start to notice faults with the picture or will i be thrilled with the big screen experience!!!!!!!!
Progressive scan from a dvd player offers very good results, you only see the shortcomings when you get bright scenes like sky shots, you see some, but not bad vertical lines, which are produced by the projector scaling the image to suit the panel resolution of the projector.
You get very good detailed picture quality with a progressive scan player, much better than interlaced componant.
Dont bother with s-video from this projector, its just not good enough for me, but some people are happy with s-video for dvd playback.

also with your comments about power strip and using a a pc i iam not very clued up on it i will have to find out some info were is the best way to get some info.
Take a look here and here people like Kramer and Shockabuku are very pleased with the results from using their PC with the AE100 and some are using their PC for tv watching also.
I am happy with progressive scan and interlaced playback from my Toshiba 510 for now, but when funds permit I will be going the HCPC route to offer the best picture quality available from the AE100.
Take a look at my photo's here

tim
thanks for the info nice set up i will have the screen mounted from the ceiling and it will be pulled down infront of the tv, the living room is already prepared for the pj and hopefully i will have some great viewing.one other thing i was going to have the pj off centre is this ok or does it have to be on centre with the screen.
thanks jayk.

The screen has to be in the exact centre, I mounted my projector first and then marked the image on the wall so I had referance points to mount the screen.
Try and keep your projector leval, and try not to use any keystone at all.

Originally posted by Timh
The screen has to be in the exact centre, I mounted my projector first and then marked the image on the wall so I had referance points to mount the screen.
Try and keep your projector leval, and try not to use any keystone at all.

the set up is a bit like where your tv is but it is in a wider recess the screen will be bang centre i was hoping to have the pj offset if not it will be a ceiling mounted it is just unfortunate the living room isnt a perfect square..

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom