1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PTAE100E v HS1

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by mystex, Feb 11, 2002.

1. mystex

mystex
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have had the SONY HS1 for about 2 months now and I'm beginning to see the shortfalls in this unit, the biggest one is not being able to ceiling mount it, I'm fed up with setting it up every time. I'm happy enough with the picture, although I'm really noticing the chicken wire effect quite a bit now(I have an 8ft screen sitting about 10 ft away). I've now seen all these threads about the Panasonic PTAE100E and I'm wondering whether to sell up and buy one of these instead? I'm sure I can sell my SONY for more than I'll pay for the 100E so it shouldn't be a problem cost wise. It only has 44 hours on the bulb life. Will it be worth it?

2. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286
    If you sit 12ft away from an 8ft (wide?) screen you'll likely notice screendoor on ANY fixed panel device.

Why not get a demo of the new PTAE100E ... I agree that not being able to ceiling mount the HS1 can be a real pain - probably the biggest flaw of the unit.

What I wouldn't do is rush out to sell the Sony to buy something new just because it's the 'latest greatest thing' in this forum.

Gav

3. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Agreed.
    I thought the Sony was ok.
    It might be better to simply use a smaller screen as you sit close to the pic.

The Panasonic vrs. Sony really comes down to what you want you want from it, excl. pic performance as they are fairly close. However, if ceiling mount is a priority then ok, go for it. Remember the Panasonic has a short throw lense, so at the same distance you would get a bigger(?) pic than you have now, possibly.