1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PTAE100, still worth buying ?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by JohnCorleone, Jan 3, 2003.

1. JohnCorleone

JohnCorleone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive been reading a lot about people buying the 200 and 300 and I'm wondering is it still worth picking up the AE100 ? It's available for just under 1800 euros from www.komplett.ie

Your expert opinions would be greatly appreciated :)

John.

2. obiwan

obiwan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I just got mine from Komplett.

Its set up with 7ft screen and a ProV.

I did what alot of ppl prolly wouldnt and bought it blind based on the reviews in this forum.

Im very pleased with it, it is my first PJ. Everyone who has seen it are pretty shocked at how good the PQ is.

Ive not seen any other PJ so I have nothing to compare it to.

Im sure you wont be dissapointed, its much better than I had anticipated.

Komplett are great too, I made the order Tuesdayy, they phoned me the next morning to confirm order and I got it on Friday.

3. nanker

nanker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Be carefull with Klompett, thats my advice.

I have had a very different experience from them. I ordered a screen before Christmas, and paid for next day delivery. Finally got it yesterday. I know that its a holiday period, but the item was despatched on the 27th and i was advised that i must stay in to receive the package or i would be breaking the contract. I ended up missing 3 days work. Klompett have no phone number, they have failed to call me despite my numerous emails, and their replies are rude and untrue. They told me i had broken the contract as delivery was attempted on 31st, but after checking with DHL, i find this is untrue. The item had been up and down the country twice, as it wasnt clearly labelled.

The screen has arrived now, but with no invoice or reciept, so i hope i dont need to make a warrenty claim in the future.

I am trying to recover the delivery costs, and as i am getting no response from Klompett, and have no contract with DHL, i have turned to my credit card company for help.

Had i realised Klompett have no number for you to call, i would never have ordered from them in the first place. You have been warned.

4. Donnacha

Donnacha
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,585
    I've had mine about 5 months and I love it - I got it on the classifieds here at the Forum. Its a great bargain, especially if you can get one 2nd hand as people suffer from upgradeitis!!

There is better out of course, but as an introduction to HC you can't go wrong at the price.

5. jamesrr

jamesrr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also bought an AE100 from Komplett in December. Can't fault the service........ordered on a Tuesday and it arrived on Friday. Delighted with the projector, my first one, and like Obiwan had nothing to compare it to. Can only say that i'm watching movies 8 feet wide and am very happy with the picture quality. In reply to Nankers comments about delivery problems......

1)Get the projector delivered to your work address if possible to save you hanging around at home for it to arrive.

2)When you get e-mailed an order comfirmation number from Komplett you can go on to the DHL website and track your parcel at every stage of its journey to you.

Highly Recommended.

6. Seb1

Seb1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Personally I would not get an AE100. The AE200/300 is supposed to be launched this month...

Even though the AE200 will cost a little more than an AE100 from Komplett it should be a hell of a lot more reliable and have a slightly better performance...

7. nanker

nanker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In response to jamesrr suggestion of using work as the delivery address to avoid the problems i had with Klompett, can I just point out that according to the order confirmation from klompett, you are contractually obliged to be present in order to recieve the goods and sign for them. Klompett claim that DHL tried to deliver to me at 6am (so you better get to work early). I live in Cumbria, but Klompett seem to think I live in Manchester as thats where they claim DHL tried to deliver. I phoned DHL, and they confirmed that no delivery had been attempted yet, and my package was in their hub in....Manchester.

I have got my screen now (it arrived yesterday), but out of curiosity i have just checked DHL tracking and according to that it is still sitting in the hub in Manchester. So don't rely on that to be of much help.

8. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Not sure if you Guy's have noticed but if you checked the tracking its despatched from Norway, i ordered some PC spares thinking they were a UK company (.co.uk) I guess they just trick you with the .co.uk address.

9. obiwan

obiwan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I did have trouble with delivery.
    But that was because we are difficult to find.
    I checked my order on the komplett/DHL tracking facility and found an instruction on the account asking me to phone them, I arranged to pick up the PJ from Exeter that night.

I drove up there, bout 25 min drive and picked it up at about 19:45, it was Friday you see and I did not want to wait untill Monday. Point is if it wasnt for the excelent tracking I would have had to wait untill Monday for sure.

If you order from Komplett maybe send them your contact number for DHL, Im sure I was never asked for mine when filling in the forms, but I may have missed it.

10. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I've had 4 orders from Komplett in the last 6/8 weeks - all without problem (> €2100).

One delivery did go to the wrong airport, but duly arrived the next morning.

The problem isn't Komplett, it's DHL. A Komplett rep is a "resident" on Komplett's own "commercial interaction board" at boards.ie. He has acknowledged problems with DHL & they are looking at altering their delivery options. That's straight from the horse's mouth.

Komplett are even supplying me with a replacement satellite speaker from a 5.1 set I recently purchased. Thing is, I bust it myself! 20 mins on the phone with the manufacturer resulted with "sorry, we cannot help you - please buy a replacement set". 3 weeks old & > £265 to be told GFY.

I can't speak highly enough of Komplett. BTW, they are a Norwegian company, but have .co.uk/.ie/.de sites etc...
    Registered for VAT in all these countries - no trickery there, very upfront IMO. Not many "offshore" companies pay VAT in the respective countries.

Back on topic:

Yep, the AE-100 is a good PJ given it's price, but better are available - as is always the case. I've owned one (2 actually), & as a first step, one can't really go wrong.

Reliable? Not 100% unfortunately, but then again the AE-200/300 have also had problems as mentioned here/avsforum.com.

Was a bargain @ £990 recently - gone up now though.

Get a HS-10 ;)

11. nanker

nanker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes Kramer, I know the blame is mainly with DHL. The trouble is, I have no contract with them and so cannot seek a refund. My contract is with Klompett, so I can only seek a refund from them. They can, of course, seek a refund in return from DHL. When you add the fact that they claim I was'nt in when I was, and tell me I have broken their contract when all the time my package was 150 miles away, and three days of work lost, then a phone call isn't too much to ask is it?

Having used the search facility, I see i am not alone in having problems with Klompett. They are cheap, no doubt about that, but at the expense of customer service. I see buying from them as a punt.... and I have never been lucky at my turf accountant :(

You pays yer money.....

Hope anyone who does order from them has better results than me.

12. GPMCDERM

GPMCDERM
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yeah...I just want to add that I alsohad a lot of trouble with Komplett....ordered on the 28th of Nov and took 2 weeks
    to get it sorted...they claimed they sent one out that DHL
    claim they never picked and after a load of angry mails
    they finally got the picture and sent a second which..but
    I didn't have any probs with the screen been delivered..
    I would think twice about ordering off them again but they are cheap......give you a laugh, PEATS in Dublin are looking for 2600euros for this pj,got it for 1660euro all in..not too bad,
    but they now have a phone number you can ring .....makes you
    think why they didn't have one before??

13. nanker

nanker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What? they now have a phone number, so I can call them up and sort everything out that could'nt be sorted in 12 e-mails?
    I can't find it on their website, you could'nt post it could you?

14. JohnCorleone

JohnCorleone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I went with the AE100 and komplett and I'm happy to say having placed the order yesterday it was delivered this morning to work at half 9 :)
    Very impressive delivery, hoping the performance will be as well :)

1600 Euros inclusing postage btw, good bargain I think.

Cheers for the advice :)

15. JohnCorleone

JohnCorleone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got it home last nite and no dead pixels :)

Connected to marantz DV3100 with s-video and im very happy with the picture, does it improve significantly with component connections? and how much more again with progressive scan ? I know the marantz cant do either but would be willing to upgrade if i thought it would make a huge difference.

John

16. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Hi John

When I first used my AE100 it was with S-video from a Sony dvp-335 player, I noticed some bad Hatching (chicken wire effect) on bright colours, but since I upgraded to componant dvd I no longer get it, its also a big jump in picture quality, and then better still is progressive scan, Once you have seen progressive scan it makes all other viewing options look out of Focus IMHO.
    If I were to upgrade from my Toshiba sd-510 I would seriously look at the Philips 963sa as it offers Multi-region progressice pal and NTSC after you have hacked it with codes and a learning remote (Pronto).