PTAE100 Screen door + Bulb costs

Jim N

In relation to the Panasonic PTAE100:

Can someone explain briefly what 'screen door' is and when it is most likely to occur ?

and,

Anybody have an idea as to how much a replacement bulb for this projector would cost approx ?

Cheers.

JSW

Screendoor is the shadow cast from the individual pixels of the LCD screen and shows up in bright scenes.

Its barely noticable at all from 9ft away and with a tiny defocus of the lens it vanishes.

J

Jonny1973

Sreendoor is the visible grid lines between pixels.

Bulbs cost around £235.

K

Kramer

Originally posted by JSW
Screendoor is the shadow cast from the individual pixels of the LCD screen and shows up in bright scenes.

:confused:

Its barely noticable at all from 9ft away and with a tiny defocus of the lens it vanishes.

Not for me it's not. Very visable from even 15ft. Helped by defocus but not removed unless focus is lost.

Jim N,

It's all relative man, as you can see from 2 clearly opposing opinions from owners with the same PJ & same screen.

Bulb won't be an issue for most until over 3 years use (& that's at 32 hours per week).

K

Kramer

Originally posted by JSW
This less confusing for you:

"the onscreen shadow cast by LCD electrode grids"

;)

Nope :clown:

This was though:

Originally posted by Jonny1973
Sreendoor is the visible grid lines between pixels.

BTW, my AE-100 is DLP, so :p

J

Jonny1973

Originally posted by Kramer
Nope :clown:

This was though:

BTW, my AE-100 is DLP, so :p

How is that possible, Kramer??

The AE-100 is an LCD projctor not DLP.

On another note, DLP suffer less from screen door due to the narrower grid lines caused by having rectangular pixels.

K

Kramer

Sorry Johnny,

It was a joke for JSW - notice the "stick out tongue/tongue in cheek" emoticon at the end.

I'm well aware of what screendoor is, having suffered from it since last March (exagerrated for effect :eek:).

Seriously looking at an upgrade to a HS-10/AE-300 B4 Christmas (company bonus due in the next few weeks).

JSW

Kramer why do you think grid lines are visible ?

If what I posted confuses you or you dissagree then explain your point rather than make pointless little jokes.

While your at it you may want to look into LCD/Transmissive electrode technology ;) :D

JSW

Originally posted by Jonny1973
How is that possible, Kramer??
On another note, DLP suffer less from screen door due to the narrower grid lines caused by having rectangular pixels.

The pixels are also much closer together.

jackuzi

Standard Member
Kramer, the lucky little monkey said...

Seriously looking at an upgrade to a HS-10/AE-300 B4 Christmas (company bonus due in the next few weeks).

Kramer,

Can I have first dibs when you out your ae100? ;)

Jack

K

Kramer

Originally posted by JSW
Kramer why do you think grid lines are visible ?

Sorry JSW, I don't know :blush:. Because I've good eyesight?

If what I posted confuses you or you dissagree then explain your point rather than make pointless little jokes.

Have you heard this one? Paddy Englishman, Paddy Irishman & Paddy Scotsman walk into a bar........................................ :D

Seriously I've never seen the term "shadow" used in the context of "screendoor" (no doubt you'll now post several links to prove me wrong).

There are no "shadows" on my (totally flat) screen caused by the PJ. The dark grid visible on screen is caused by the "gaps" between light emitting pixels (well they don't actually output light - the bulb does, they act like filters changing the incoming "white" light to red green & blue - 3 LCD panels).

The bigger the gap between pixels, the more noticeable is the grid on screen (well - for some). Things such as defocusing & fitting filters (Hoya FL-Day) can help to aleviate the effect.

TBH, it is very subjective. A demo IS advised for anyone who doesn't understand what "screendoor" actually looks like.

While your at it you may want to look into LCD/Transmissive electrode technology ;) :D

Can't m8, too busy posting pointless jokes for your delictation :D

Didn't expect this kind of response to my post.

It was made as I have a very different take on this issue. Given as we are both using the exact same screen & PJ, I thought it would highlight the subjectivity of the original question.

Nice to see words such as "pointless" & "drivel" used in response to some of my posts though.

Hope this helps the original poster - which was the intention :kisses:

JSW

Originally posted by Kramer

Seriously I've never seen the term "shadow" used in the context of "screendoor" (no doubt you'll now post several links to prove me wrong).

No you can find them yourself :p

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Home Cinema Sources and B&W 805 D4 Speaker Review and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom