1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PTAE100 impressions and questions.

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by uk_robk, Feb 17, 2003.

1. uk_robk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Got my (2nd) PJ set up this weekend, still lots of temporary wiring but so far so good. Right now it's projecting straight onto an un-painted piece of MDF, still waiting to get hold of some IceStorm5 paint. Even so I have to say I'm quite impressed with the results!

Right now I'm using a PS2 as the source, but I'm in the process of building a HCPC for permanent use. DVD output from the PS2 is quite impressive, the screendoor effect was only really noticable in bright scenes (ie clouds/sky). My mates didn't notice anything and were well impressed overall.

Not so impressive is the picture from my Telewest cable box fed in through a standard composite, this is very blurred. Am I right in thinking I need this ProV (or XGA theatre) to sort this out? Or do Telewest cable boxes just give a lousy output anyway?

Another thing I was curious about, what steps should I take to improve the black-level? Does this HoyaFLD that keeps getting mentioned do that? Or is that more for image quality? Will the grey paint on the screen make a big improvement when it's done?

I've blacked the room out the best I can, but in lots of films there are horizontal bars at the top and bottom of the picture, this is where the black-level is the biggest problem.