1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PTAE100 and 'that' problem...

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by uk_robk, Feb 13, 2003.

1. uk_robk

uk_robk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello again. Quick summary - unit arrived, bulb went pop after 10mins, replacement unit on the way.

Now some questions for those who have had the same or similar problem.

Did you go straight to Panasonic or did you go through your dealer to sort it out? If Panasonic, does anyone have a good contact number?

Has anyone had the unit run for a decent length of time (>100h) before the bulb has gone? Am I the only one with a NOV2002 unit to die?

Assuming it happens again (fingers crossed that it wont) do I have the right to upgrade to a different manufacturer and model through the dealer? There are sharp/epson models that aren't much more expensive and don't seem to have a list of reported problems on this forum, unlike the Panny.

If the bulb gets to a few hundered hours with no problems, but then goes pop - am I still covered by the warranty? In otherwords what's the crossover point where fault becomes expected failure of bulb?

Once again I'd like to thank the people on this forum for their help, this is an invaluable resource!

Cheers,
    RobK

2. ChrisAllenFiz

ChrisAllenFiz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    A bulb going pop is not a big problem. It is the PSU board that is/was the main problem with the AE100. Bulbs go pop early in thier life with all projectors, you`ve just been a bit unlucky.

Chris

3. uk_robk

uk_robk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fair enough, but when I pay over a grand for a piece of hardware it should be fair for me to expect atleast >1000 hours, they quote 5000 hours on low-power mode!

4. ChrisAllenFiz

ChrisAllenFiz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I`m not saying that you should expect a bulb to go pop. I agree that Panasonic should replace it for you. It`s just that your problem is not "that" problem that many AE100 owners have had. As to who you should contact, it depends. Your retailer may direct you straight to panasonic. However, panasonic will want to take the whole unit away if they run true to form, they won`t just send you a new bulb, so you might be without it for quite a while. If your dealer is good, they may lend you a replacement while you wait.

Chris

btw, I will ask panasonic for a replacement if my bulb goes before 500 hours, but I expect they will try to get out of it. I have 105 hours and no problems so far

5. uk_robk

uk_robk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Surely it is the same problem, some quotes from the PTAE100 reliablility thread :

"I was totally wrapped with its price and performance until it went pop."

"Mine's gone "pop" as well now. Manufactured March 2002, purchased April 2002. Went pop last week 3 seconds after turning it on. A part came loose inside after the pop as well. It's with Panasonic at the moment"

"Well as you may have read in another post, my AE200 just popped also with only 60 hrs of use just 3 seconds after switching on."

All sounds too similar to what I've experienced I'm afraid.

6. uk_robk

uk_robk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Actually, on second thoughts - could there be 2 distinct problems with this PJ?

A) Unit goes 'pop', assumingly the bulb giving up, several people reported this on various threads in this forum

and

B) Unit shuts down, red light blinks as described here :

AVSForum

Cheers,
    RobK

7. ChrisAllenFiz

ChrisAllenFiz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    As far as I have read most people seem to have had a problem with the PSU board, which is not the same as a bulb going pop. However, pop is not a very descriptive term, it could mean either a capacitor inside has gone pop, or the bulb, or something else. When people have reported back what panasonic have said about their problem, it is usually a faulty power supply, which hasn`t occured as much (tempting fate I know) since July 2002 manufacture date. Maybe someone who had theirs repaired could shed more light on the subject.

Chris

btw, what were your symptoms?

8. uk_robk

uk_robk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's a fair point. I guess people saying their unit going pop could still be the PSU failing (as you said). I could have just been very unlucky and got one with a damaged bulb. In my case the unit was turned on projecting a DVD movie from PS2 via s-video, after 10 minutes there was a loud 'pop' noise and the power light went amber, then I heard what sounded like fragments starting to fly around - it's hard to describe but it didn't sound good, like a rattling noise. I have assumed it's the bulb that has done this, but I'm not certain. Once the unit was shut down, if I moved it you could hear bits moving inside - I'm assuming these are bulb fragments.

Could do with seeing the results of the poll, to see what symptoms people have reported. In this thread started by Kramer.

Cheers,
    RobK

9. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +467
    The "pop" problem is usually referred to as the PSU going. However in your case it sounds more like the bulb, as you say the LED still illuminates but in amber ?

If it has gone within 10 mins of use you can take it back straight to your dealer and insist on a replacement if you so wish. You do not have to settle for a Repair in your case.

However if you do so wish a repair....

The Panasonic warranty on Plasma's LCD PJ's and DVD Recorders is the same. You have to contact them directly, not through the dealer. They will offer you a loan unit in your machines absence. However, waiting for a loan unit to become available will greatly lengthen your repair wait time. Better to let it go back, insist on a swift turnaround and they repair it within a week. My one was picked up and came back to me all within 3 days !

It's a pity that this problem exists with the AE100 and it still does with the more recent production runs. However, if you read many posts here, no brand of PJ is 100% reliable. The PSU problem affects many a small PJ. For the price (£800-900 in some places) and for what it does you simply cannot argue with this machine. Far too good VFM.

As for alleviating a recurring PSU problem it maybe an idea in investing in a surge protected plug and/or using a stepdown transformer at 110v. Though I must admit I have not heard of a repaired PSU unit going faulty again yet.

10. donmc

donmc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mine went pop with a flash. Mind you it was a fairly loud pop. I'd had it 4 weeks so the retailer said get in touch with Panasonic direct as they are covered by a special onsite warranty. Fine by me as the unit had no dead pixels and I didn't want to risk getting a duffer.

On return they have replaced the whole PSU according to the cover note.

Warranty provides for a loan unit, but they appear to be in short supply !

Mind you, it's due to go back again as I'm getting an intermittent green flicker :mad:

Still worth the wait though!